PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 AM
Default Coolant Leak

So i was noticing a smell of antifreeze whenever i would drive it. took it to the dealership and asked them to see if it was related to the head they changed 8 months ago. they told me to pay them 89 bucks and they would tell me if the leek was "covered" by my powertrain warentty..... So i left and headed to my own garage. i do alot of my own wrenching however have stayed away from the H# since it was new and under warentee.... anyway i found coolent leaking from the radiator on the drivers side bottom. looks like i need to change it out because "radiators" are not part of the powertrain.... anyway anyone have a good writ-up on changing radiators for 2007 H3's. looking for usefull info like where to buy new radiator, any tips? thanks guys

Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

I read one or two stories on here where the interior baffles of the radiator that seperate the engine coolant from the transmission cooler section failed and engine coolant was mixing with the transmission fluid and vice versa. GM was then claiming that this condition was operator induced and thus voided the warranty. Unsure what the end result was but just giving you a heads up. Maybe might want to make sure that this isn't the poblem on yours or else you could be having serious powertrain issues in the future.
Do a search. I know there were a couple of people on here who had to change out their radiator but unsure if it was covered in a detailed thread w/ pics and stuff. While you're swapping out radiators you might want to get a seperate cooler for the tranny. The problem I described above seems to be few and far between but if you're going to have the radiator ripped out anyway, it would be very easy and worth the install of putting in a dedicated tranny cooler seperate from the new radiator. The tranny will run cooler than with the stock setup.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:34 AM

I replaced my leaking radiator 6 months ago. 3 months & a thousand miles over the warrentry.I found the cheapest one on line.$200. delvered.Came from a california warehouse.Then a few weeks later I found them on ebay from an ac delco supplier for $250.My local dealer wanted $400.I also switched over to the green antifreeze.If you look at the ingredence of the dexall its the same.Tom south florida

Old 09-02-2010, 05:43 AM

we just bought our H3 last month and within week two the radiator was leaking. I could feel a slight bulge in the plastic on the right side of the radiator. Dealer replaced it under warranty, no questions asked.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:31 PM

i am out of warrenty... has anyone got a write up on this change?