PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Default coolant leak

Well guys. I drove my 03 H2 today for about an hour and a half. No problems. When I pulled into my driveway and got out I could smell coolant. When I looked under the truck, coolant was leaking off the rear of the skidplate.Later that night I took the skidplate off and let the truck idle for about 15 minutes while I was under it with a light looking for a leak. I couldn,t find anything leaking. I drove around the block, looked under it again and no leak. Would the engine have to be really hot as on a long drive to build up enough pressure in the system to show a leak? Should I still have it pressure tested? Any ideas guys?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Default RE: coolant leak

Never experienced this before, so I will give you a BUMP up the ladder to see if you can get a response from someone else

Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 AM

did you overfill it before your long drive? what's the level in the reservoir? was it hitting the skidplate in front and running back, or dripping somewhere in the middle? is it in the center of the skidplate or on one side? the overflow tube is in the front, so if it was coming from that it should have been hitting the skidplate up front and running back. look around the base of the reservoir, is there coolant on theinner fender well?the best way to duplicate the problem is to duplicate the situation that created it, or as close to it as you can.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

When you dropped the skidplate did you specifically look at the weephole on the waterpump?

Old 04-21-2008, 10:14 PM

Drove to work today (20 minute drive) looked under the truck and no visible sign of leakage. Drove home tonight and again can,t see anything leaking. The area around the overflow is clean.After the leak the reservoir was a little low (maybe down half inch) topped it up tonight. I will leave the skid plate off for awhile and try to narrow it down. Where do I look to see the weep hole in the water pump? Thanks

Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 PM

Came home from work tonight and some coolant was dripping underneath so I got under there with the light and it is dripping off the bottom of the water pump. At least now I know what the problem is. Don,t know if I want to tackle this one on my own as there doesn,t seem to be much room around the pump with the fan there. Will be interesting to see what the dealer wants for this?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 PM

careful if you are going to queensway........