PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Converting older H3's to E85 - Can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Converting older H3's to E85 - Can it be done?

I checked out the Fuel Injectors. It would be a complete PITA to get to them. It looks like you have to remove the entire intake system, including whatever the big black plastic container is on the driver's side of the engine, the part that comes after the throttle body. I'm not even sure how that comes off, or if it would be very easy. I really would like to try this out, but I don't want to break something in the process of installing the new injectors.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Here is the response I got from Kelly at PCMforLess (quoted with her permission):

As far as the E85, we have not tuned any H3's for it, not too sure about the adjustments that should be made. I'm not sure that it would be worth it, either. Looks like the conversion kit is a decent chunk of change, plus labor to install it, and potential changes to the PCM...it would takea while to pay off. And while E85 may be cheaper, it is harder to find (especially mid road trip!) and the gas mileage will most likely suffer, so you end up paying the same amount in the end. If it were my truck, I would just stick with gasoline. I know that modifications are fun and exciting, but new isn't always better [/align][/align]So, not sure yet. DOH![/align]

Old 10-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Genuine Corn fed Hummer! If you did convert, you would help save the polar bears and reduce global warmin. Then you could go on a leaf licking Hummer press tour.

By the time you got done with the conversion, and working out any bugs that may pop up, Kelly has a good point. It certainly could be done though. If you did it yourself the $425.00 wouldn't be bad, to pay to have it done does turn it into the "slippery slope" situation. You would definitely have to burn more E85 to do the same miles so the price differential is smaller than the pump dollar display.

IMO E85 right now is more about trying to do your part , than being able to save on your personal buget. It will change at some point, probably soon too?

Old 10-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I know I'll get banned for this, but considering I want to have kids one day, the thought of saving the environment does cross my mind alot more then it used to............

You can De-Mod me now [&o]

Old 10-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

Well, I know I'll get banned for this, but considering I want to have kids one day, the thought of saving the environment does cross my mind alot more then it used to............

You can De-Mod me now [&o]

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 10-24-2007, 10:38 AM

Putting one of these on an H3 is time consuming. You would need to remove the driver's side wheel well to gain access to the injectors. I asked a Hummer mechanic. He said he could probably do it in a hour. I also found out the Hummer dealershipin Idaho sells and install these. The guys at www.change2E85.com said that they will talk to a service manager at any Hummer dealership and explain that it won't void a warranty. I'm intrigued.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:14 AM

There was a story on E85 engine conversion kits and how they are a bunch of crap on the today show last week. I will see if I can find the video online and post it.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to our forum Dave!

Did they tell you whyyou wouldhave to remove a wheel well to get to the injectors? They are right underneath a plastic shield that is removable, but not easily. I'm trying to get the technical pictures of the area so I can figure out how much work it is.

I appreciate your feedback. I don't want to be the first one to do this and have it backfire in my face, literally also I think I can handle the install myself though. I'm just not sure yet.