PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Converting older H3's to E85 - Can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default Converting older H3's to E85 - Can it be done?

This is more of a question for the PCM for Less folks, unless anybody else knows the answer.

A) In theory, if you replace the gas tank, fuel lines, pump, etc. that make up the fuel system, with the updated ones from the newer generation of H3, could the old PCM be programmed for E85 use?

B) If the old PCMs can be reprogrammed for E85 use, what percentage faster would your engine components deteriorate from using E85 instead of just regular Gasoline without upgraded the rest of the fuel system? Are we talking months, years, etc.?

I would just like to know. What is so special about components in the E85-compatible cars that is different from normal ones? My in-laws have a Dodge Caravan that I believei s a 2000/2001 and it runs E85. That was before this big craze hit.

I just wonder sometimes if that's all just a bunch of BS marketting or if there is scientific proof that running E85 through your normal fuel system will actually make things break down and deteriorate at some rediculously fast rate.

What do you guys think?

Old 10-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Converting older H3's to E85 - Can it be done?

Yep, about $425.00, this is the only current legal conversion kit taht I am aware of. There will no doubt be more. http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Detail?no=113and your current pcm can learn the burn! http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Pa...onInstructions The pcmforless people may be able to shed more light on this, and a modification in programming may help further.

One last thing, my inlaws had an 02 Chrysler minivan that was "flex fuel compliant", but this did not mean you could use it. You needed a dealer installed conversion upgrade from chrysler which my father in law did not have installed. IDK what the price was.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Oh boy, and I told them they could start using E85!!!

Oops

I'm going to check that kit out. Seeing as you are the all-knowing GM techy person on the forum (and I don't say that sarcastically), do you think this is worth the money, AND, do you think it's safe to do?

I am willing to buy the kit ina month or two when I have the funds, but only if people jump in and tell me yay or nay as far as "Would you do it to yours" is answered.

What do you think? Keep in mind, I was the 2nd person on the forum to get the PCM upgrade, so I'm usually willing to be the Guinnea (spelling?) pig for it.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

They may be ok, it depends if they have the optional "kit", and I do not know squat really about Chryslers??? My wife has had her05 Pacifica for 13 months, and it runs like a top, actually the first mopar I've ever had, ever (bought it at an auction with less than 11K on the ticker dirt cheap/full warranty). Maybe you can find some on line info??? Do they have the window sticker, or is there a equipment tag on the glove box door???

That kit I linked is basically a go around for the fuel injectors to adjust the air fuel ratio. Hypothetically, if they ever tried one of these kits at the GM tech center, it would, hypothetically, work on a Pontiac V6 and Chevy V6 and V8trucks. I never, hypothetically, saw it applied to a I5 yet, but why wouldn't work. Just make sure you know what your injector connecter looks like before you order. G pig.

Let's see if Kelly or Alvin have any thoughts.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Are you just, hypothetcially, protecting your job so they don't see you posting, hypothetically proven information that could cause you to get a hypothetical pink slip?

My friend John actually showed me the link to the manufacturer's site (what's up buddy) and when I found out how easy it was, I said hey, let me post about this.

After doing more research, guess what? I found out they are based in Chicago, actually about 25 minutes from where I work. I'm going to give them a call either this afternoon or tomorrow and talk to them about possibly converting the H3. You never know. We might be able to work out some sort of deal.

You know what kind of publicity they could get if they successfully converted a I-5 H3 to E85? That's pretty big news, especially if it actually works

Now, what about the degredation of the components, i.e. fuel lines, pump, etc. Will E85 cause damage to those components if I leave them stock?

Old 10-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Hypothetically, you never know????? I'm not sure the general wants everyone to know this ain't rocket science!!!!

You do not have a high mileage vehicle, worst you're gonna get is a check engine light and rough idle. Your components are gonna be fine, ecspecially if you run gasoline every now and then to lubricate the system. Dry gas now and then may not hurt either in high humidity. Got corn????

Old 10-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

So, why all this talk in the industry then about E85 causing advanced deterioration of your components and so forth? Is that just all complete B.S. to get you to buy officially designed E85 cars?

You don't have to answer that, but you ARE saying that I can use E85 in my current H3 with no more wear and tear on lines and components then regular gasoline?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Remember this, it is not the E85 that corrodes your fuel system, it is the water/moisture that can get into the alcohol. I do not know what the status of state and federal regulation of E85, but if they monitor that like gasoline, most reputable suppliers and retailers will do a good job of keeping water to a prescribed minimum and the 15% gasoline will act as sufficient to keep your system operating acceptably.

I do not know of any reasonmost post 2001 GM vehicles cannot operate on good quality E85 with a proper conversion to the fuel injection/delivery system. The rubbers and plastics used today in contact with fuel should not be a problem. The earlier in a vehicle's life the conversion is made, the more likely the transition can be a smooth one. With the very limited availability of E85, most people will have to run gas occaisionaly, if not more, for some time yet, this also helps lubrication and reducing moisture in the system.

I also think the manufactures will tack on more than the cost of a conversion kit to capitalize on tree hugger type purchasers(what they do not know, can't hurt em mentality)for quite some time yet. We shall see. When E85 is widespread and conversion kits pop up from many mfgers, that will be the test.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:11 AM

we dont have any stations around here that sell it so i wont be getting it,not yet anyway

Old 10-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

I have a station 2 miles away that has it at every pump. Most stations around my area have it, so that's why it interests me. Right now, it's only about $2.30 or so, and regular is around $2.90. I don't know yet. I'm going to keep nagging Doc about it ;-) I don't even know if I can easily get to the injectors. I never even looked for them on the I-5, but I believe they are on the passenger side of the engine.

Quick Reply: Converting older H3's to E85 - Can it be done?