PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Considering an H3, have questions..

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Default Considering an H3, have questions..

I'm not sure if my google-fu and forum query is off, or maybe I'm searching for the wrong terms or what, but maybe you guys can help.

I'm looking for information on things like year to year changes, model/package details, etc. H3, H3x, adventure package, luxury package, etc.?? Probably too much to ask, but something like this for H3s would be perfect (this is the other vehicle I'm considering): http://www.wjjeeps.com/newoptions.htm

Maybe other than the bigger engine from '06 to '07 there basically are no other year to year differences?? In that case, maybe all I really need is a link to something that describes the various model/package options.

Another more subjective question. How bad is the i5 engine really? Almost every review I've read basically says the engine is fine around town and off road, but sucks at highway speeds and up hills. I know the '07+ has about 20hp and lb-ft than the '06... The Alpha would be ideal, but it's out of my price range.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Banned

This pretty much explains them. They are more-or-less the same for all years:
http://www.automotive.com/2009/101/h...ges/index.html

There are slight differences in what year Adventure Package H3's get rear AND front lockers.. just small differences tho similar to that.

The i5 isn't bad at ALL. My 3700 CONTINOUSLY gets 19.2mpg highway, with the BONE STOCK air filter. And I have an automatic. After I do my airdoc, k&n filter, and PCM tune, I'm expecting 21-22highway and a good deal more power. With an intake, filter, good tuner, exhaust etc.. these trucks will have damn near the hp of the Alphas but get FAR greater mileage. I've also carried about 760lbs of people and 600-ish lbs of equipment for a trip that me my wife and my buddy and his wife took in the h3 to the beach for a week. Even going thru the hills of WV and VA, with all the extra weight, I only took a 1-1.5mpg hit on the highway (around 17.5-18mpg). I've also towed my goose hunting boat with the h3, never noticed it was there.

The alpha is overkill, in my opinion. But some men aren't happy with a peppy and economical i5 and just NEED a v8 in their truck.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. Mpg isn't really a concern. I telecommute and drive maybe 100 miles a week tops, unless I take a road trip. What is a concern is power. Living in UT I pretty much can't avoid going up and down hills. I drive a lifted Cherokee on 32" tires with a 190hp/225ft-lb I6. It weighs ~3300 lbs and while it's fine around town and off road, it kinda sucks on the highway above 65 mph. Maintaining speed uphill = tranny hunting, and highway acceleration is pathetic.

This is my concern with the I5, highway speeds (75mph+) through the mountains.

I hear what you are saying about engine mods, but honestly I'm tired of mod'ing my vehicles.

You link is broke, but it was easy enough to figure out. I still couldn't find the type of info I was looking for, but after much searching and browsing I stumbled on this (shamelessly copied from post by TAINTER):

2006 H3
Base Engine 3.5L I5 (some had head issues I have the vin #s if you need them)
Option Packages:
Base-Cloth/standard radio/Black accents
Adventure-Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents
Lux-Leather/Chrome
Option Package Combinations:
Base w/Adventure Lux w/Adventure

2007 H3
Base Engine 3.7L I5
Option Packages:
Adventure-Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Rear Locker
Lux-Leather/Chrome
Base w/Adventure Lux w/Adventure

2008 H3
Base Engine 3.7L I5 Optional Engine: 5.3L V8 (Alpha only)
Option Packages:
Adventure-Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Rear Locker
Lux-Leather/Chrome
H3X-Leather/Chrome/18" wheels/Monsoon
Alpha-Leather/Chrome/Monsoon radio/Cast Iron Front Diff
OffRoad(only on Alpha) -4:1 transfer case/Rear Locker
Base w/Adventure Lux w/Adventure Alpha/OffRoad

2009 H3 & H3T
Base Engine 3.7L I5 Optional Engine: 5.3L V8 (Alpha only)
Option Packages:
Adventure- Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker//Cast Iron Front Diff
Lux-Leather/Chrome
H3X-Leather/Chrome/18" wheels/Monsoon
Alpha-Cloth (Leather optional)/ Black Accents (Chrome optional)/Monsoon radio/Cast Iron Front Diff
OffRoad(only on Alpha)-4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker

2010 H3 & H3T
Base Engine 3.7L I5 Optional Engine: 5.3L V8 Flex Fuel (Alpha only)
Option Packages:
Base- Cloth/standard radio/Black accents
Adventure- Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker/ /Cast Iron Front Diff
Lux- Leather/Chrome
Alpha-Cloth (Leather optional)/ Black Accents (Chrome optional)/Monsoon radio
OffRoad(only on Alpha) -4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker

Can I assume the above is correct in all ways? Is there anything else I should know to help me figure out what year/package I should look for? I'm curious about things like do all H3's come with skid plates? Can you get various options such as leather, navigation, sunroof, or backup cam in any package or does it require the Lux package? Even more important are the package differences or options that I don't know to ask/search for.

I don't expect you guys to spoon feed me all the info (although it may sound like it), but any pointers on where to find specifics would be great.

If it helps, the intended use is a mixture of around town driving, mountain highway driving (including long trips), and light/medium offroading.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:42 AM

I have not found the I5 to be lacking in power for most instances. I do notice that going up an 8% grade it takes a whole lot of gas pedal to keep the speed above 55-60MPH. If you are routinely driving up steep roads at highway speed you may be happier with the V8 in the Alpha models. I suggest you do a test drive on both models.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:46 PM

skeptic - Glad you found the info helpful. Most of the information I have there is compiled from different sources and personal knowledge. HUMMER did offer many packages and you would also just take a Base and add pretty much anything to it that you wanted. Try Autotrader and look for the options you wish to have. For any kind of light/medium offroading I would suggest an Adventure package (I5) or the OffRoad package (V8). The skid plates that come with the H3s isn't really that good. For about $300 you can get a really good set that will bolt right up and give you piece of mind out on the trails.

I would try to test drive both the I5/auto and stick and the V8. I have both the I5 5speed & V8. Love them both.

Our I5 is a stick in an H3T Adventure with 35s. With a 5 speed you will have great control over the RPM/Torque band of your choice.

Our V8 is an H3 Alpha OffRoad with 35s. No tune yet, so there is some hunting for gears around 70 mph with the 35s. If you keep the stock tire size you won't be searching for the right gear. It hauls azz pretty well with the 33s (Stock Adventure Tires).

We have never owned and I5 Auto so I can't help you out there.

After many many years wheeling Jeeps, I wouldn't buy anything but a HUMMER! Luxury Wheeling is what my wife calls it.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by TAINTER; 09-14-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Ack! He found me after I reposted his info!!

Good info, thanks. First, whatever I get will be an auto. My cars are stick, they way they should be, but all my offroading will be in an auto (did own a 5-speed wrangler, only autos from now on). Due to limited space and a wife-unfriendly ride, the wife will not go offroad in my Jeep anymore. Our current Luxury Wheeling vehicle (as you call it) is her Avalanche. Problem is, she will not let me mod it in any way, not even larger tires, so I can't take it where I sometimes take the Jeep. However, 32's on the Jeep are just enough. 33's on an H3 should be fine as well, and since I don't really do hardcore stuff anymore the stock skids should be enough for that rare "oops, crap" moment.

The problem with a test drive is I'm a good half hour+ away from the highway areas I'm most concerned with. Nothing is really all that flat around here so I might be able to get some idea, but those of you with an I5 and auto who have done a lot of highway driving through mountain areas can probably give a better answer than a short test drive ever will. Speed limits around here are 75 in some areas, so I'd call highway speed 80. Another way to put it, when I drive from UT to OR to visit family I have to drive in the rockies and the cascades. Is this going to suck with the I5? From what bflank posted, I'm afraid the answer may be yes.

At this point, between the helpful posts and what I've been able to find, it sounds like everything '07 and newer with the adventure package are all going to have what I need, and be about the same. Just need to decide what other options I may want. Unless the prices for the Alpha are going to drop like a rock, or I find an unbelievable deal, the v8 is too expensive. I have a real aversion to car payments, so even if I finance part of it it's going to be a small part. Basically, this means it's the I5 or something other than an H3.

Oh, one last question. Am I correct in thinking every H3 has traction control (think snowy UT winters)?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
Ack! He found me after I reposted his info!!

Good info, thanks. First, whatever I get will be an auto. My cars are stick, they way they should be, but all my offroading will be in an auto (did own a 5-speed wrangler, only autos from now on). Due to limited space and a wife-unfriendly ride, the wife will not go offroad in my Jeep anymore. Our current Luxury Wheeling vehicle (as you call it) is her Avalanche. Problem is, she will not let me mod it in any way, not even larger tires, so I can't take it where I sometimes take the Jeep. However, 32's on the Jeep are just enough. 33's on an H3 should be fine as well, and since I don't really do hardcore stuff anymore the stock skids should be enough for that rare "oops, crap" moment.

The problem with a test drive is I'm a good half hour+ away from the highway areas I'm most concerned with. Nothing is really all that flat around here so I might be able to get some idea, but those of you with an I5 and auto who have done a lot of highway driving through mountain areas can probably give a better answer than a short test drive ever will. Speed limits around here are 75 in some areas, so I'd call highway speed 80. Another way to put it, when I drive from UT to OR to visit family I have to drive in the rockies and the cascades. Is this going to suck with the I5? From what bflank posted, I'm afraid the answer may be yes.

At this point, between the helpful posts and what I've been able to find, it sounds like everything '07 and newer with the adventure package are all going to have what I need, and be about the same. Just need to decide what other options I may want. Unless the prices for the Alpha are going to drop like a rock, or I find an unbelievable deal, the v8 is too expensive. I have a real aversion to car payments, so even if I finance part of it it's going to be a small part. Basically, this means it's the I5 or something other than an H3.

Oh, one last question. Am I correct in thinking every H3 has traction control (think snowy UT winters)?
YES on the traction control.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 PM

I drive an H3 Lux with the (i5 Auto) and with the 265/75/16 tires, it does really well on the mountain hills for me. I live in the mountains out of So.Cal. and with a 6% grade I can easily hold 75-80 mph up the grades. Even though the tranny shifts down as I hold those speeds, it is "VERY" quiet inside.

Bottom line --- I5 works well for me even on the big hills

p.s. --- everyone here swears that 285/75/16 (33") tires still offer little to no difference in performance so I too will upgrade in size when these tires are due for a change.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Originally Posted by bflank
I have not found the I5 to be lacking in power for most instances. I do notice that going up an 8% grade it takes a whole lot of gas pedal to keep the speed above 55-60MPH. If you are routinely driving up steep roads at highway speed you may be happier with the V8 in the Alpha models. I suggest you do a test drive on both models.
+1

Also keep in mind that if you're thinking of getting an Auto, that the tranny only has 4 speeds and its gearing is not well suited for speeds above 65mph. You can do it, but in the I5 you won't have much power (if any) in reserve and it'll run grossly inefficient but you already said that mpg wasn't a concern. It has a higher ratio gearing for off roading... I mean the thing is shaped like a brick, the engineers weren't thinking of the autoban when they designed her. With the I5, speeds 60+ in hills & mtns. will find your tranny constantly shifting and you may end up driving more in 3rd than in 4th depending on the terrain. In my opinion, you might be better off with an Alpha if this is the type of terrain/driving style you plan on doing... or also if you plan on towing heavy loads in hills/mtns.
On a side note, was having a conversation with a tech after getting my truck back from service for a leak in the sunroof and he was saying that the 06's and up had a fair amount of issues with the sunroof drains clogging so the 2010's are supposed to have bigger hoses for the sunroof drains installed on the assembly line to aleviate this. A tiny maybe insignificant detail but figure you may want to add that to the list of model year differences.
Good luck with your choice/with your H3 when you get it.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:12 PM

Just when it sounds like the I5 might be fine, the next post has me thinking it's not.

No plans to ever tow anything. If I ever need to tow I'll use the wife's Avalanche.

Good info on the sunroof. I was thinking it might be nice on occasion, but I'd rather not have one at all than have one that leaks.

So now the H3 has crawled it's way to the top of my very short list, but I'm starting to think I should wait until I have the cash for an Alpha. The extra $9k or so for the v8 is a tough pill to swallow. A quick autotrader search comes back with H3's starting at around $18k and Alphas starting at $27k. That's a 50% increase. I'm sure the Alphas have more options than the base models I'm seeing for under $20k, but still...

Quick Reply: Considering an H3, have questions..