PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Considering an H3 with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Default Considering an H3 with a few questions

I have been considering an offroad capable SUV and have looked at the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Toyota FJ, and now the H3. All are capable machines each with pro's and con's. I would love to hear experienced opinions one vs. the other. What appeals to me about the H3 are the possibility of the Alpha version with a small block V8 and stock front and rear lockers. Which version do you have to buy to get electric lockers and can you get it in the V8 model? Can anyone expand on their own opinions of their H3's? Is the V8 necessary or is the 3.7 adequate? I would put 33's on. My offroad consists of mud and backwoods manuvering. I am not a rock crawler.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 PM
lex

I am one who thinks the 3.7 is underpowered when pulling a huge hill on the highway...that being said my daily driver is a srt8 car...so it can pull hill....HOWEVER for just getting in the mud and some normal offroad conditions I LOVE the h3 its pretty bad ***.

plus then you get in and compared to those you mentioned you are really in a luxury vehicle.

overall Ive had some issues with my 3.7 about to have the exhaust leak possible head fix but i wouldn't want any other suv...3.7 or alpha they are great rides

Old 11-26-2012, 07:43 PM

The luxury cush appeals to me!

Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM

If you get a 3.7, get a PCM flash from PCMforless.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 PM

how much are the PCM flashes cost

Old 11-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Of the three vehicles mentioned, the H3 has more features, more comfort, and is better looking regardless of price.
When comparing costs of all three vehciles of the same year with similar options, the H3 is the hands down winner.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
Of the three vehicles mentioned, the H3 has more features, more comfort, and is better looking regardless of price.
When comparing costs of all three vehciles of the same year with similar options, the H3 is the hands down winner.
Pretty much this.

What you want is the Adventure package (called Offroad on the V8 Alpha). In '06-'08 it has a rear locker, starting in '09 it comes with front and rear lockers. The adventure package comes with 33" tires (285/75/16), so unless you want a different type of tire, no need to "upgrade" to 33s. The 3.7 is adequate, but on long steep hills it will shift to keep the speeds up. I live in UT (lots of hills/mountain roads), drive an H3T (heavier than the H3), and have 35s... It's what I would consider barely adequate and will either get a PCM tune or trade it for an Alpha if one ever comes up in my area that has the options I want for a reasonable price. Around town, even with a T on 35s, it's fine, it's the hills at 70mph+ that get me. When I had my 3.7 H3 Adventure (on stock 33s), I had traded a 4.0 I6 Cheroke on 32s for it, and the H3 was worlds better - good enough that I didn't care about a V8 when I got my T. Be aware, the '06 H3 comes with a 3.5, not a 3.7.

If you can find and afford an '09/'10 Alpha with offroad package, that's the way to go. Nobody has ever said, "the V8 in my H3 is too much power, I wish I would have bought a 3.7", and nobody has ever said, "my H3 is so plain and junky inside and rides so rough, I should have bought a Wrangler or a FJ." I'm a Jeep guy at heart, but the H3 is the perfect balance between the capable Wrangler and the comfortable Grand Cherokee.

Before you ask your next question - the answer is the V8 gets 1-2mpg less than the 3.7 I5.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 AM

I have a Wrangler, although older than you're considering, and an h3x.

I would not even consider taking my h3 where I take the Wrangler, nor would I want it as dirty inside as the Jeep gets!

It sounds like you are already familiar with off roading. What do you currently drive that you take off road?

Old 11-30-2012, 05:39 AM

I've got a 4wd pickup but I get into places where I am afraid to drive it so I don't. The older I get the more cautious I get, I hate being stuck and I've been there. I am not a serious off roader but I need a good vehicle I can be confident in that won't break the bank. Whatever I get will be getting dirty, inside and out!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by oyealiz
I have a Wrangler, although older than you're considering, and an h3x.

I would not even consider taking my h3 where I take the Wrangler, nor would I want it as dirty inside as the Jeep gets!

It sounds like you are already familiar with off roading. What do you currently drive that you take off road?
oyealiz, would you say that your Wrangler is a more capable 4wd vehicle than your H3X?

Quick Reply: Considering an H3 with a few questions