PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Considering an H3...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Question Considering an H3...

Hi all, first post here.

I am softly searching for an SUV right now. The H3 has entered the mix as I have found a few in price point with the options I want.

What should I look for when inspecting these and how are your general thoughts and experiences with them?

I am not a big SUV guy, I have owned them but I prefer either full sized trucks or Mustangs but life changes may require me to sell the ponycar for a more 'family' friendly ride.

The H3 will see little to no off road use as my Power Wagon fills that need very nicely.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:44 AM

SAve yourself some green than, if you have no intention of wheelin the Hummer, look into a base H3T (to suit your truck needs) or a base H3, options and what not will obviously increase the price, but the less your add on to your wish list the more the price should go down.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM

I'm keeping the PW so I need something with more interior room. The options I am looking for are more luxury than anything. Navi, sunroof, leather etc...

I'm looking more for mechanical issues, DD feelings etc...

Old 10-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Any one else with info on what to look for and impressions and real world use of these rides?

Thanks.
John

Old 10-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Default My Impressions

I have had my H3 for about a year now and here are my impressions of real world use.

I have one daughter and the height is just about perfect for not having to bend down to get my daughter in the car seat. You definitely feel a lot safer sitting up a little higher than most people on the road and I like that. Anytime I drive a car now, it feels like a go kart.

As far as room, my wife's CRV feels like it has more room inside of the vehicle. It just feels a little cramped. If you golf, get used to laying you clubs diagonally as they won't fit end to end in the back. Ridiculous in my opinion. The other thing I don't like is the swing door in the back. It would be a lot nicer IMO if it swung up instead of out.

All in all, I love my H3, just a couple of nit picks.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:34 PM

Good to know. I do golf, but right now I have my Mustang (which would go bye bye if I do get an H3) and there is bingo room in that car for anything, my Power Wagon which hauls everything and the ZX2 as my cheap beat to ground DD beater, which... yeah blows, and blows hard.

Good to know, any 'problems' with the lack of power? I have seen there are a few threads here to address that somewhat, as well as the wind noise issue that concerns me greatly, but if there is a good and permanent fix I am ok with it.

I just don't want to get a truck that will nickle and dime me to death or annoy me to kingdom-come.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:00 PM

Ok, I admit it, I WANT one, but I don't want junk either, hence why I have come here. But I am excited at the idea of getting one.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:15 PM

I own a H2, but have seen many H3s wheeling and I was impressed. I even had a chance to wheel in DAGKANA's H3 over the labor day weekend at Rausch Creek, and it was awesome. I already know I will be buying a H3 sometime in my future.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 PM

OK, this is just my take and some will disagree - loudly. If your primary criteria are luxury and interior space and you will not be wheeling, then I'd get something other than an H3. There are other vehicles out there that are more luxurious and have more space for the same or less $$. The H3 has a number of attributes that go with being an offroad beast (among them weight) that make compromises with your stated needs. For instance an H3 just will not have the pep or gas mileage of a lighter vehicle with similar power. It won't corner nearly as well as a vehicle with lower center of gravity and lower ground clearance.

Now for me those are all reasonable compromises because I need a no-excuses offroad vehicle that is comfortable on the road and has reasonable interior space. But if I never took it offroad, I'd own something else.

Having said all that, if you just want an H3 because you want an H3 then by all means get an H3. Nothing in the world wrong with that.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Default Best Car I've Ever Owned

I love my 2006 H3. It's a bit cramped inside, but it takes me places in the Sierra Nevada my Grand Cherokee either got stuck trying to get to, or I wouldn't have dared trying.

It;s also cheaper to keep on the road than my GC ever was. Gas mileage is also up to 30% better than the GC got. Ultra-reliable.

Just get rid of the Goodyear Wranglers if you go wheeling in it. I run BFG T/A KO series...

Quick Reply: Considering an H3...