PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Considering GM Extended Warranty Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Default Considering GM Extended Warranty Purchase

Got my GM extended warranty offer in the mail for 5 yrs 75K-100K miles. Seemed a bit expensive for only 1 more year of coverage, so I was wondering if anyone could suggest a dealer that sells the GMPP Major Guard with longer coverage at a good price. I know the mark-ups on EWs are ridiculous, but I figure some dealer out there is more volume based. Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

Also, are EW prices negotiable? Any thoughts on cost-benefit considering deductibles?

As always, thanks in advance for the help!

Lil D

Old 06-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Default RE: Considering GM Extended Warranty Purchase

Check out the "Sticky" at the top of the page. One gal's ordeal with GM extended warranties.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:03 PM

I went with the mechanical breakdown coverage offered thru my auto insurance company. It's much cheaper and covers the vehicle up to 100,000 miles.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:19 AM

Markups are about $500 to $600 on that mailer you got. Here are two dealers that sell them online. Got them from searching Yahoo!....[/align][/align]GM Extended Warranty - Roberson Auto [/align]Selling and servicing GM extended warranty service contracts to consumers. Offering GM protection plans including Major Guard, Value Guard, and Basic Guard warranties. ...[/align]www.extendedgmwarranty.com - 23k - Cached - More from this site [/align][/align]
GMPP Genuine GM extended warranty for General Motors vehicles. [/align]Get genuine GM extended warranty, save hundreds off regular dealer pricing. ... Purchasing a GM extended warranty is a fairly large expenditure, but not as ...[/align]www.gm-auto-mall.com - 18k - Cached - More from this site [/align]

Old 06-09-2007, 02:14 PM

Can't you negotiate the actual price paid for the extended plans?

Old 06-09-2007, 03:53 PM

I think a GM Extended warranty is a MUST if you're planning to keep your Rig for a while. And YES, the prices ARE NEGOTIABLE!! I knew the "MONEY" guy when I bought my Rig and I paid $1600 for another 3 years/40,000km's!!

Old 06-11-2007, 03:30 PM

I have never bought an extended warranty on any new vehicle until now. Why? Well, this is the first brand new American car I have purchased and the H3 is not a model that has been out a lot of years. I have the manufacturers warranty but I am worried about the time after it expires.

I now have a full 96 months 100,000 mile warranty (trust me, I will not reach 100,000 miles in that time, I have 55,000 on my 8 year old Honda Civic that was my regular driving car) that is basically a bumper to bumper minus the usual belts, hoses, etc, etc.

Why did I buy it? I don't want to have to worry if at the 5-6 year mark I am doing normal off roading and snap a u-joint, lose a piston on the highway, whatever. For me the peace of mind was worth the price. I have already talked to the EW company people, they were rated very high in customer satisfaction in the state of Arizona, the guy I talked to explained how the warranty worked and even explained a few things that are covered even now. For instance, if my H3 breaks down and I am 200 miles from home, this warranty already covers a hotel room up to $75 a night. Sure, $75 a night won't cover the cost of a hotel in more expensive areas, but it is $75 less that comes out of my pocket. I thought it would only take effect after the manufacturers warranty but it has a few features that are in effect right now.

He explained that the H3 is considered an off road vehicle and the warranty would cover "normal" off roading. If I take it up a rock hill that it is not rated for, try to cross 30" of standing water, or anything that the H3 is not rated to do, the warranty is not going to help. So I will be doing my best to abide by the rules. If anything I should be a much safer off roader since I know if I screw up, I am paying.

Only time will tell if the warranty will be worth it. But in my opinion if I never use it and it lasts 8 years and expires, well thats all fine and dandy. I will buy another Hummer and sell the one I have now.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:01 PM

Thanks Rob! So, I'm pretty much sold on purchasing one. I'm just looking for the best deal and still deciding on the coverage. I'm thinking either 6 yrs/72K or 7 yrs/84K. Ihave full intent on keeping the vehicle that long,which is whyI purchasedand didn't lease. I'd also like to try to stay with GM's Protection Plan. Who did you go with? Was the price reasonable?

Lil D

Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 PM

Yeah, I was wondering WHY I haven't bought "EXTENDED WARRANTY" in so long, then it clicked that this is the FIRST Vehicle in a LONG TIME I actually PURCHASED.I usually LEASE through one of my businesses, but I knew I wanted to CUSTOMIZE this one ALOT, so I PURCHASED!!