PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Considering an 06 H3 and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Default Considering an 06 H3 and have questions

Hello folks,

This is my first post here, so why not start it off with a "doozy"?

I am considering buying a 06 H3 and think I have all the facts lined out so I figured this was the place to make sure. Just so you know I did do some searching here and found answers but want to make sure. I also I went to test drive the 09 H3 because of the incentives right now. I asked lots of questions, hoping to get something besides a sales pitch (ie. tell them what you have to…just make the sale) ah well. For instance, I specifically asked him. Does the base model have a rear locking differential?…and he said. Yes. Which isn’t correct…right? Please also know that I am not “trolling” in any way but am seriously trying to figure the best way to go.

Anyway here we are. I’ll put the questions / statements lined out for ease of reply. In looking at an 06-08

What model has a rear locking differential?

Do all models have the aluminum front differential case?

If so, is that a weak point in the design (I did find the youtube of the gent breaking his front dif on what looked to be a pretty basic / easy climb and a comment by another member that his broke just driving down the road. Which concerns me)

I searched for an actual head to head comparison of the H3 to the Toyota FJ (from a reputable magazine like motor trend) but couldn’t find one. I did this because the FJ is also am contender for purchase. (yes I know I’m asking it in an H3 forum so I do expect some bias ) Which brings this question:

I have found an H3 and an FJ both are 06, both have rear locking differentials, the Toyota has “active Trac” and the H3 has..(not sure what the traction control is called) Both have similar miles and equipment AND they are the same price. So…as fairly as possible, how do they compare?

Does the extra weight, longer wheel base, less horsepower really know the H3 a bit? Does it make up for it in other ways?

I will be using this vehicle for combo driving, rough fire roads, overlanding, and HARD, slow, rough, climbs here and there, most likely not going actual “rock crawling” with it. How does it handle those situations?

If I did head up a pumpkin sized bolder filled creek bed would I regret it half way through?

Thanks a bunch,
Pastor M

Old 08-06-2009, 04:33 PM

>What model has a rear locking differential?
Only the Adventure model has the locker, starting in 09 it has lockers front and rear.

>H3 versus FJ
Part of that is just personal preference. I test drove an FJ before I bought the H3 and didn't like it. I have seen some reviews that liked the FJ offroad, not a whole lot of bad information there. The back seat is really a dark cavern if you will have back seat passengers. You will either really like the appearance or really hate it.

Offroad the H3 Adventure with a good set of tires (most assuredly not the ones GM installed) and proper equipment is going to be a great performer. For what you describe a set of rock sliders (not nerf bars) would be high on the list. A winch and high lift jack would also be good ideas.

FWIW the 06 H3 has the 3.5 liter I5 engine. The 07 & newer have the 3.7 liter I5 which will give you more torque offroad. Will it matter to you? Perhaps.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

If you are gonna wheel hard, the FJ would not be your choice. Unless you like a cracked frame?

The crowd buying the FJ are the Yota heads. People that will buy jap crap without even thinking WTF they are doing.

Read this. http://www.fourwheeler.com/featuredv...cks/index.html

Note that 2 Hummers (H3 and H2) have been on the Top 10 4X4 list for 5 consecutive years, and the FJ one time.... when it was new and the foriegn auto press was foaming all at the mouth about how they liked the sake sucker.

Only one vehicle competes with the 3 off road, the Jeep Rubicon.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mmagus
Hello folks,

This is my first post here, so why not start it off with a "doozy"?

I am considering buying a 06 H3 and think I have all the facts lined out so I figured this was the place to make sure. Just so you know I did do some searching here and found answers but want to make sure. I also I went to test drive the 09 H3 because of the incentives right now. I asked lots of questions, hoping to get something besides a sales pitch (ie. tell them what you have to…just make the sale) ah well. For instance, I specifically asked him. Does the base model have a rear locking differential?…and he said. Yes. Which isn’t correct…right? Please also know that I am not “trolling” in any way but am seriously trying to figure the best way to go.

Anyway here we are. I’ll put the questions / statements lined out for ease of reply. In looking at an 06-08

What model has a rear locking differential?

Do all models have the aluminum front differential case?

If so, is that a weak point in the design (I did find the youtube of the gent breaking his front dif on what looked to be a pretty basic / easy climb and a comment by another member that his broke just driving down the road. Which concerns me)

I searched for an actual head to head comparison of the H3 to the Toyota FJ (from a reputable magazine like motor trend) but couldn’t find one. I did this because the FJ is also am contender for purchase. (yes I know I’m asking it in an H3 forum so I do expect some bias ) Which brings this question:

I have found an H3 and an FJ both are 06, both have rear locking differentials, the Toyota has “active Trac” and the H3 has..(not sure what the traction control is called) Both have similar miles and equipment AND they are the same price. So…as fairly as possible, how do they compare?

Does the extra weight, longer wheel base, less horsepower really know the H3 a bit? Does it make up for it in other ways?

I will be using this vehicle for combo driving, rough fire roads, overlanding, and HARD, slow, rough, climbs here and there, most likely not going actual “rock crawling” with it. How does it handle those situations?

If I did head up a pumpkin sized bolder filled creek bed would I regret it half way through?

Thanks a bunch,
Pastor M
I cross shopped the FJ and the H3 when I bought mine, too. The FJ requires premium fuel, the backseat is harder to get into, and there is not a leather/heated seat option to be had.....So, i went with the H3.

Don't worry about the power. You don't buy an H3 to be a racecar, and it has adequate power to do any off-roading that you would ever have to do.....Especially with the low transfer case and 4.56 gears!

I love it, but I think I have to get rid of it pretty soon. Where are you located? I've got an '06 that I am going to be selling so I can get something for my wife....Her Trailblazer just got totaled a couple of weeks ago and she thinks the H3 is too "hard to drive". <ouch>

Old 08-10-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by GOFASTER
I cross shopped the FJ and the H3 when I bought mine, too. The FJ requires premium fuel, the backseat is harder to get into, and there is not a leather/heated seat option to be had.....So, i went with the H3.

Don't worry about the power. You don't buy an H3 to be a racecar, and it has adequate power to do any off-roading that you would ever have to do.....Especially with the low transfer case and 4.56 gears!

I love it, but I think I have to get rid of it pretty soon. Where are you located? I've got an '06 that I am going to be selling so I can get something for my wife....Her Trailblazer just got totaled a couple of weeks ago and she thinks the H3 is too "hard to drive". <ouch>
I'm in So. Cal. in the Temecula area. I have my sights set on a couple of 09 adventure package units I have found used. But I am open to whatever possibility comes along. pop me a PM if you care to.