PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Computer malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 AM
Default Computer malfunction?

hi.
RE: HUMMER H3, 2008 LUXURY PACKAGE
we gave someone a jump start and immediately afterwards the interior courtesy lights would not go off unless dimmed manually by the switch. then a warning message appeared saying that the doors were open (which they were not). also the doors did not lock automatically after driving away. when we locked the doors manually all doors did lock but then the drivers side door lock sprung open after a few seconds. then later the courtesy lights would not go off at all even if we dimmed them with the switch. we live in northern cyprus with no proper hummer garage, only the company who sold us the vehicle who dont seem to know what the problem is and have merely ordered a new door sensor, dimmer unit and something to do with the door lock. the garage man tested the battery and it indicated "WEAK". also for a long time now the orange warning engine diagram remains on - indicating something to do with the fuel system although we dont seem to have a problem with it. HELP!!!!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:21 AM

Before you do ANYTHING else, disconnect the positive connector from the battery, wait 2 or 3 minutes then reconnect the positive connector to the battery post.
Also make sure that both the positive and negative connectors are good and tight on the posts.

See if anything has changed after doing that.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bunger
Before you do ANYTHING else, disconnect the positive connector from the battery, wait 2 or 3 minutes then reconnect the positive connector to the battery post.
Also make sure that both the positive and negative connectors are good and tight on the posts.

Good advice. Nice work Bunger!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Default jfwiw

when you jump another car yours should be turned OFF. then its like you took the batt out.
the only thing then that could cause you a problem is if the other car put out very high volts on startup.
I avoid jump starts! I have a 2nd batt that can be easily unhooked if I need to jump another.
I don't want your volts in my hummer!

Old 02-13-2014, 04:02 AM

hi happythree. thanks for the tip but it didnt work - nothing seems to have changed and i did exactly what you said! sorry for the tardiness of my reply but was in the far east for a few weeks and only just got the chance to try out your suggestion. anything else you can think of?

Old 02-13-2014, 04:04 AM

hi BUNGER. thanks for the tip but it didnt work - nothing seems to have changed and i did exactly what you said! sorry for the tardiness of my reply but was in the far east for a few weeks and only just got the chance to try out your suggestion. anything else you can think of?

Old 02-13-2014, 07:20 AM

If you have another vehicle try swapping the battery before purchasing a new one.

If the swapped battery makes things right. Then you know it is the low output from the battery. A weak battery can wreak havoc with the sensitive computer systems.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Default qouting myself

Originally Posted by happythree
when you jump another car yours should be turned OFF. then its like you took the batt out.
the only thing then that could cause you a problem is if the other car put out very high volts on startup.
I avoid jump starts! I have a 2nd batt that can be easily unhooked if I need to jump another.
I don't want your volts in my hummer!

this is so important.
you might get away with jumping someone but you risk damage to your electronics AND generator. the only safe way is to unhook your battery. never leave your car running since the other dead batt looks like a short and can blow a diode in your alt/gen. excess volts from the other can blow parts of your computers.
either of these can be your problem. the blown diode may let the gen charge but with crazy voltage/ripple that can drive computers nuts.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
If you have another vehicle try swapping the battery before purchasing a new one.

If the swapped battery makes things right. Then you know it is the low output from the battery. A weak battery can wreak havoc with the sensitive computer systems.
Yes, that is so true. I have diagnosed numerous electrical issues over the years, and many times, it comes down to a weak battery. Supply and demand. The battery starts the vehicle, then the alternator takes over, however if the battery is demanding excessive amps from the alternator, to maintain the charge on the battery, then there could be a voltage drop at specific circuits, causing issues.

rheff, replace the battery,(think big, the stronger the battery, the better) and make sure the terminals are clean and tight(or cut them and install some stingers). Also, check your alternator output. GL