PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Compressor & Tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Default Compressor & Tank

I really want to get a onboard compressor with a 2.5 gallon tank...anybody done anything like this in the H3?
Or just done it in general to suggest parts?

I've also seen tire tools where you set the PSI and then connect it and it will air down (or inflate) until it reaches the correct pressure and then quit? I've seen them on the race cars so I imagine its expensive but just curious if anybody knows where to find them.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:54 AM
Default RE: Compressor & Tank

I had one of these in my tahoe and in my dually...great compressor for almost anything you could need it for. As far as a tank, pick up a mini-truckin mag. and there are alot of tank companies selling really cool looking tanks that comes with all the fittings and mounting hardware. if you don't care about looks, you an use any tank, from an old propane grill tank to an old oxygen tank...possibilities are endless!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Viair...67096377QQrdZ1

Old 12-28-2006, 02:33 AM

For Christmas my wife got me a set of Staun tire deflators and you can set the tire pressure you want it to stop releasing air. My dad has an old oxygen tank that he is letting me use for airing up the tires.
I'll post a picture of the tank later.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1305/758726FFAAA6424A89590797ED483F64.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-28-2006, 07:48 PM

Those deflators look pretty cool!
Does the O2 tank hold enough to fill a tire??

Old 12-28-2006, 08:06 PM

the staun deflators are awesome, set the pressure on your spare, set the deflators and you're ready to go. what about going with a portable compressor? the viair has no tank, but can fill one of my 37" toyos from 18 to 40 lbs in about 5 minutes if i'm below 2000 feet above sea level. at 6000 feet it takes about 15 minutes per tire. the compressor setup below comes with warn connectors so you don't need to open the hood to connect to your battery.

http://www.hummersolutions.com/produ...roducts_id/722

Old 12-28-2006, 08:24 PM

I think I want a hard mount with a tank which mounts along the rail under the body. a 150 psi 2.5 gallon tank is only 6" diameter and should fit without losing much clearance. I was thinking about running the air line to the rear into the gear compartment and having a quick connect valve there like on the H2. With the tank, it should speed up fill times with a 110 on/145 off psi pressure switch to keep the tank charged.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:25 PM

Just to add for clarification...the compressor would be under the hood and the tank would be under the body and the air connector would be in the cargo area in the cabin.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:39 PM

I've used this little compressor fora while now. I figured it was worth a try for the 24.00 I paid for it and it ended up being pretty good. Then this guy posted a test of them and they became almost ipossible to find. They're out again, but for about 55-60 bucks.

http://www.gearinstalls.com/pepboys.htm

I was happy to see that it outperformed some of the more common "high end" compressors. I know some people who tapped theirs into a storage tank. So far I have not spent any effort setting mine up that way.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:07 PM

Fireman, very interesting!!
Does that have a mount that could be used to hard mount into the engine bay???

Old 12-28-2006, 10:48 PM

Yes, I've seen people hard mount them before. I also remember seeing a post about it at the elcova hummer forum. That post had plenty of pics too. I think they mounted it on the fuse box lid if I remember correctly.

I know one guy who mounted his and used rubber fuel line compressed between the innerfender and washers on the compressor side, on his trail rig, so it wouldn't vibrate as bad. Some people also put in a standard size female air chuck... better air filters, or better pressure gauges.. etc.

Quick Reply: Compressor & Tank