PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Cold Starting 2003 H1

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 03:42 AM
Default Cold Starting 2003 H1

Hi I have been on this forum a few times in the past usually when I'am having issues with my H1.
So I have an 2003 H1 6.5 wagon with about 15,000 miles on it that is an second vehicle to me that my father bought brand new and gave it to me about an year ago when he bought his 2006 Alpha H1's. When my dad gave it to me a year ago it had about 8,000 miles on it. It took me a while to get used to it but sor far it has been a good truck other than a few flaws I have had hardley any issues with it, the only thing I don't like about it is it is very cold bloded I have took it to my hummer dealer about 5 or 6 times and wasted about $1000 bucks trying to figure out why mine is ao cold bloded. They just in the last week put new sparks, glow plugs for the 3rd time,changed the fuel pump and the lines, it did not need the plugs or the fuel pump or the lines changed but it runs like it's brand new now and it fixed the cold starts a little bit BUT after the glow plugs are warmed up it still takes 3 or 4 crying trying to start chuging starts before it will start every time I start it so if i drive it all day everytime I go to start it it does it??? Hummer says it is just fine they drove it for 3 days doing it after they changed everything and said it was an hummer H1 diesel and thats who they are??? I live in the vegas area and it is warm here most of the year so it's not like it's cold all year long??? It does not knock chug rattle or smoke at all or burn rich or oil and once it starts and it runs like a top. It NEVER EVER STALLS OUT in the middle of the road. Say that I drive it for an hour then turn it off and let it sit for about 10 min its a long start but it starts BUT if I let it sit for an hour or longer 3 or 4 times to start it. Hummer has told me IT IS NOT AN FUEL ISSUE and that my hummer is 100% perfect and I should get used to the way it starts. So any ideas???? Has anyone had this issue before??? I drive it once or twice a week and I drive it to california once or twice a month with the AC on the whole way and it makes it great no smoke or anything bad so????? I have an Chrysler 300c Hemi that is my everyday driver that I love. Also I mised the MOAB Utah ralley didnt I?? I went last year and it was cool. When is it next year so I go???? So please help with my H1. Thanks

Old 09-24-2008, 03:49 AM
Default RE: Cold Starting 2003 H1

Sorry About the bad spelling and typing I just type way to fat and talking on the phone does no help. So please help me with my 2003 H1 starting issues. Thanks

Old 09-24-2008, 09:13 AM

first check your batteries, are they good? check them individually dissconnected. If they are good, check connections for your starter. You need 300 rpms to start your truck. Along with that, you need air compression fuel and heat all of which, as you mentioned shouldn't be on short supply. Many conversations have been discussing this issue on humvee.net.... I guess I don't fully understand, from your post, what specifically its doing from a cold start.... is it just taking too long to crank? not starting at all?Smoke at start up? etc...

Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 AM

hello 300cboy,
i had a vehicle that was doing the exact thing that your hummer is doing. you would try to start the vehicle cold and when it finally did start it would run rich and blow out white smoke. after about 30 seconds of running the hummer ran great. i tested the glow plug curcuits and all were fine and i checked for cracked block, blown head gaskets and so on. what it ended up being was the injection pump was stuck in warm mode and was not creating enough fuel pressure and advancing the timing to start the hummer cold. we put a new injection pump on it and it has not had a problem in 2 1/2 years.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:00 PM

I just had hummer put a brand new fuel pump in it last weel they checked the block the head gaskets and the PUMP WARM MODE and they said that everything was fine??? Remember this is about 4 or 5 different hummer dealers saying this so??? The battery's are brand new it has nothing to do with the battery. Like I said it does not smoke at all or burn oil or run rich when it starts it just smokes black a tiny bit when it is trying to start so???? It's only 5 years old with low miles on it I have gotten used to it and once it starts its just fine you would never know that is has starting issues/ I am driving it the day after tommarow form Vegas to colorado and it will make it just fine it's just an pain in the **** to start and when I am in a rush I start to hate it so but it is overall an good truck I don't drive it that much because everyone stairs at it or wants an ride in it. I am one of the few people who does not like to show of my cars as long as it runs its fine with me. And actually for some strange reason when I have the AC switch turned on when I start it up it starts better??? You would it would not start is goo with the ac on but it starts better for some strange reason and I mostly always drive with the ac on because I live where its very hot most of the year and I hate the heat so I guess I will just live with the starting issue. They said that it would not hurt the engine at all and I check the sparks all the time and and they are 100% clean so HUMMMMM???? I guess I will just live with it

Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

300Cboy, you are back again? This guy is troll, don't waste your time messing with him.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:33 AM

Ok??? I have been on this site three times in the last 6 or 7 months and I have not started any crap with you I am having an small issue with my H1 and yeah about 6 or 7 months when I first got my h1 I hated it and I did not want it and I came on this site griping about it and it at first was an pain in the rear to me and is I upset some of you long time devoted hummer owners well sorry people knock my chrysler way more thime than they knock your hummers and actually I have grown to like my hummer a lot more now that I got use used to it so sorry if I upset you a whyle ago BUT I m shure you all had a vehicle you really hated at first and then grew to love and actually this hummer is way more problem free than my chrysler I just came on this site to see if andy one else has had starting issues with there h1's like I have???? and don't worry i have no reason to hang on this site really even if I want to I don't have the time

Old 09-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

You could always give the H1 back to dad and see if he can fix his gift to you.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:48 PM

The reason it takes a few extra cranks is because its a diesel. There is a lot of factors to starting a diesel.Correct fuel pressure, oil pressure and air. The reason it takes a couple cranks is because its building oil pressure.

Don't compare it to your 300 thats for sure. Also give it time to warm up. Let it idle for a couple mins before you even move it and let it idle a couple mins before you shut it down after a long drive or after working it hard. That will prolong your engine life.