PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Cold Air Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Question Cold Air Intake System

Ok, so today I installed a cold air intake system with air filter box in the H3 today.
Checked everything out, everything is correct and secure. Matter of fact checked all the fitting and clamps three times today. All is good!

What I noticed since switching over and maybe someone could possibly help explain.
1) i noticed a slightly rougher idle?
2) I did notice NO vacuum leaks, and while flooring the gas while drive and reverse with foot on the brake ( kind of like power braking) I noticed smooth and nothing feeling rough or like it had a miss, so I know that all is good in that dept.
3) I did notice smooth acceleration, but I also noticed I lost low end torque or take off power??
4)On the highway all was ok. Smooth acceleration, but when I kicked it down I swear on my life I had better kick down power and acceleration from the stock GM set up????????? On my GM stock set up when I kicked it down that thing would take off like a patriot missile and still would fight for some more power not to let up. Now it just kind of doesn't even feel like it has any kick down and does not shoot off like it use to...

Im just not feeling the improvement or maybe I am not feeling it as of yet?? Does it have anything to do with the computer or MAF reconfiguring for the more air flow??
Something isn't right and I don't like it...

When I threw a spectre CIA on my Chevy Z71 4x4, I noticed instant kick *** results...

Old 07-08-2011, 04:14 AM

hi bigdawgs2011
my local aftermarket sports parts dealer sydney australia has imported various types of coldair intake systems to try on the h3. they say that none of the brands imported from the US have made any impact if any on the h3. He also felt that after he set it up through workshop facility it felt abnormal. they even felt that the standard GM set up worked better. I have read through threads made by str8jacket that you would be better off with a pcm remap. I heard a lot of good things about PCMforless. Have a technician set it up and you will notice a difference which might work well with the cold air intake.good luck chief

Old 07-08-2011, 07:41 AM

How many miles are on your truck? It probably wouldn't have hurt to clean your throttle body while you were operating. That calms down the rough idle I have noticed, but a "mild" rough idle will always be present with the I5.

I would return the air intake if you're not pleased! Then buy a AirDoc. I've had K&N and Volant air intakes on my 3's and the most noticable results came from the AirDoc... using the butt dyno. Adding an aftermarket air intake, by itself, the results are minimal but a good start point. Having added a catback, ported throttle body, and a PCM tune, I am more than pleased with the results...but it still isn't setting any land speed records anytime soon

Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by airborne227
How many miles are on your truck? It probably wouldn't have hurt to clean your throttle body while you were operating. That calms down the rough idle I have noticed, but a "mild" rough idle will always be present with the I5.

I would return the air intake if you're not pleased! Then buy a AirDoc. I've had K&N and Volant air intakes on my 3's and the most noticable results came from the AirDoc... using the butt dyno. Adding an aftermarket air intake, by itself, the results are minimal but a good start point. Having added a catback, ported throttle body, and a PCM tune, I am more than pleased with the results...but it still isn't setting any land speed records anytime soon

Thanks Airborne: She has 52,000 give or take a few on her. Actually while I had the stock set up off, I did clean the throttle body up real good. It had quite a bit of built up carbon inside, but its nice and clean now. It did not seem to have the slightly rougher idle prior. Maybe its just the extra air intake??

As for the Cold Air Intake. If I was to send it back, I would be sending the one back you informed me to purchase I didn't want to mention names and Im pleased with the AIRDOC system, just not for sure about the performance side of the Hummer now..

Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by fpv234
hi bigdawgs2011
my local aftermarket sports parts dealer sydney australia has imported various types of coldair intake systems to try on the h3. they say that none of the brands imported from the US have made any impact if any on the h3. He also felt that after he set it up through workshop facility it felt abnormal. they even felt that the standard GM set up worked better. I have read through threads made by str8jacket that you would be better off with a pcm remap. I heard a lot of good things about PCMforless. Have a technician set it up and you will notice a difference which might work well with the cold air intake.good luck chief

Thanks also fpv234,
I will look into the pcmforless, and actually did the other day. Not for sure exactly how it works with their program. maybe I will read up on it more..

Anyone now much about JET chips? or a good cheap programmer/tuner that works well for the Hummer? Mine is a 2006 i5 52,000 and still looks like new and drives well. Only real problems I've noticed the driver side seat wear, the plastic molding around the seat always pushes down towards the seat buttons, and for some reason my heated seats just stopped working....

I just bought it over April 1, of this year

Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Send Doc Olds a pm about your intake issues. I'm sure he'll be able to help you out with any AirDoc issues/concerns

Old 07-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

you know some people swear by disconnecting the neg cable when doing these things...

Old 07-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Muddydawg75
you know some people swear by disconnecting the neg cable when doing these things...

Yea I have always read that disconnecting your battery will reset everything. So after I installed the CAI and before I started it up to run, I actually did disconnect the positive battery cable...

Old 07-08-2011, 03:47 PM

Even better to disconnect both battery terminals, touch them together while a friend simultaneously presses the horn!!! Just to be sure all current is out of the vehicle! my two cents!

I was told by a GM tech to do this.

Last edited by HawaiianH3; 07-08-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Muddydawg75
You know now that you mention it, I did disconnect my neg terminal when I installed mine.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake System