PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Cold Air Intake for 07 H3

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 05:27 AM
Default RE: Cold Air Intake for 07 H3

I own an H2. I know its a shame that such a tough and powerful ride doesn't anything much to boast of in terms of engine function. Soon I am planning on having the CAI my Hummer deserves at present, what it has had many bends and twists that restricted the air flow.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:33 AM

I was looking at my stock intake system, and I was reviewing the resonator box and the accordian like intake tube and the breather box... It's quite a large and convluted system... that doesn't look very effecient.

However, looking at the way all Cold Air Intake systems work, they all have a dam to seal it off from the engine compartment and "Only take in cool outside air". Well, I'm sure they do, but I'm looking at my stock system and I'd have to say it is a cold air intake system as well...

The filter is in a sealed box, so technically it is only intaking air through the hole in the frame and out the right side of the engine compartment. Now isn't that cold air intaking also?

Seems to me that the problem is the filter type, paper is used rather than layered gause as the K&N or the foam systems and a smooth intake tube between the breather box and the throttle body. The True Flow seems to be designed to do just that yet leaves the stock box in place, still a cold air intake system right?

I guess I don't see the difference in the aftermarket air dams and the boxed in stock filter case, they both intake air from the same hole on the right side of the frame and both are blocked off from the engine compartment, just by different methods.

If K&N would make a short tube that connects the throttle body intake to the stock airbox so it uses the stock 07 mass air sensor (which is on the stock breather box) and emission return tube in the filter breather box too. They could change the coned filter in the 06 model with one that would fit the 07 stock intake boxm maybe just use their current OEM replacement H3 barrel filter?

Heck, this unused K&N 2006 intake system I have I could probably cut the tube with a hacksaw and use the provided silicone couplers to fit it between the throttle body intake and the stock filter box with the stock mass air sensor, the accordian tube comes off the stock breather just ahead of the mass air sensor as does the resonator box over the throttle body, just like the True Flow system uses.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:46 AM

Not sure with your car but what I know is about the volkswagen coz a friend had one. This volkswagen cold air intake adds HP to his engine and also improves fuel economy. Mine doesn't have yet. I'm broke right now but soon I'll try that. I heard it's the cheapest to increase HP. Good luck! hope a fond a good one...[8D]

Old 03-27-2007, 10:36 AM

Hummer Driver,
I think you've got the right idea! I just installed my True Flow yesterday. It's a nice system,but very simple. I still can't figure out what a "resonator box" is suppose to do. I think your idea of using your 06' K&N would work if you can get past 2 points. 1) Will the K&N couplers match the size of the throttle body and more importantly the air box? 2) Is the K&N tube bend at the right angle to line them both up? If so, fire up that hack saw and get goin' ! As I stated in a previous post, with the True Flow or any system that retains the stock air box, you can use any filter you want-True Flow foam, stock, K&N, Fram Air Hog. The True Flow filter comes with the arrow shaped retainer that holds it in the air box(like thestock filter)and a hose clamp.(that the stock filter does not have- go figure). The K&N for the 07' is a barrel shaped(not coned) but shouldwork just fine. So lets' see your pipefitting(my occupation) prowess and maybe you can make other 07'/K&N owners happy.[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 03-27-2007, 10:49 PM

Obie1, I have to tell you brother, I am considering doing just that. The K&N tube looks like it's bent right and of the right diameter to couple to the stock airbox, clamp that sucker on in front of the Mass Air Sensor just like the TrueFlow system does. It gets rid of the resonator box and that accordian shaped intake tube.. and I still get the emissions return in the stock box.

One thing I did measure was the throat of the K&N cone filter and it won't fit on the stock box. I would have to buy the K&N replacement barrel type filter.

The only thing I'm worried about is the alignment of the tube to the stock filter box. Laying it over the stock one it looks right, bends go the right way, etc. However the tube really needs to be inline just right with the stock box inlet sleeve in front of the air sensor. If it's off a few degrees one way or the other I don't know if that will work, the couplers K&N sends with the kit aren't very wide so I don't have a lot of wiggle room.

If I get time this weekend I may take the resonator off again and look at how the K&N tube aligns but I have to do that without cutting it so at best it would be a guesstimate.

I have a problem with the Airaid system for $200.00, all you get is a filter and some funky airdam that replace the top half of the stock selaed brether box. At least with the K&N and the True Flow you get the whole pipe. The Airaid still uses the stock resonator and accordian tube and the lower half of the breather box. Not much for two bills.... heck seems to me you could just put a filter on like a $40 K&N and it would be about the same effect as the Airaid system.

As I stated before, I think the stock H3 intake is a cold air intake. the problem areas in my mind are the paper filter and the accordian tubing and the resonator box. The Airaid only appears to address the filter issue. I can do the same thing with a $40.00 K&N OEM replacement filter...

I think the added HP and torque comes from the intake tube and removing the resonator and stock tube and of course getting the high flow filters.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:41 PM

Hummer Driver,
I think your assessment is right on.Unless you plan on selling your K&N or buying a 06' H3,I say go for it, what have you got to lose. If not you'll have to pop for $200 for a True Flow. If K&N were reading any of these posts,they'd realize we've done their engineering for them. Take their 06' FIPK shorten the tube so it fits between the air box and the throttle body, redesign a cone filter to fit inside the air box and Presto! Part # xxxxx for the 2007 Hummer H3. Where did I put my engineering degree, I know I left it around here somewhere?
All this, just to suck in a little more air. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Then you can suck just as much as the rest of us with peformance intakes.LOL[sm=lol.gif]

P.S. K&N may not be able to do this due to patent rights.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:04 PM

Guys, I took my resonator box off again last night in the garage, couldn't sleep.....

I was looking at using the 06 K&N tube and modifying it to go into the stock breather box like the True FLow system does.

I didn't pull the breather box, just the resonator and the accordian tubing between the resonator and breather. I looks like the bend on the K&N is just about right, the couplers that K&N sends with the kit is the right size IF I cut the K&N tube short on the breather side.

I'm just scared to death to try it, I can't say 100% that I can get it aligned with the throttle body and the stock breather box but it looks damn close.

I've done some reading on cold air intakes and the consensus is that the resonators are basically a muffler for the intake system. That is all it does, it has baffles in it to quiet down the air sucking into the throttle body just like a muffler does on an exhaust.

That's the main reason the cold air intakes are louder, the ones that replace the resonator and have an air dam that replaces the closed breather box should be the loudest. If you use one like the True Flow system, it uses the closed stock breather and should be quieter than a K&N. The logic is the intake sound at the filter is muffled by the sealed breather box.

One thing that bothers me about the Air Raid system that sells for $200.00 is the fact that it doesn't include a smooth bore tube between the breather and the throttle body, it uses the stock accordian system which I think degrades airflow and still uses the stock resonator box.
Secondly, the Air Raid system uses the bottom of the stock breather box and then uses an air dam to seal against the hood. So for 200 bucks you get a small air dam that replaces the top half of the stock breather (Why? I don't see any benefit to this)... and you get a $40 filter. Am I missing something here??? As far as the Air Raid system, it seems to me that you can get the same performance from their $200 kit as you can simply by changing the stock filter with an Air Raid or K&N OEM replacement. I believe the stock system is a true cold air intake system and it's sealed top and bottom to prevent engine compartment heat from entering the engine. I don't see where the dam improves this one bit on the Air Raid.

I understand the air dam on the K&N intake system. You replace then entire stock breather box so the air dam makes sense, but it simply doesn't make sense on the Air Raid design, seems like fluff to me, I need meat and taters...

I'd love to hear someone's opinion on this, I'm no car mechanic. I'm a software guru, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:53 PM

I'm not a big fan of Airaid stuff...But I do like their Throttlebody Spacer in the cool red color.[8D]

Old 04-03-2007, 01:06 AM

Hummer Cold Air Intake and K&N cold air intakes are some of the best in the business. this intakes provide the best-flowing filters and lowest-restriction airbox plumbing available today.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 AM

ORIGINAL: danzel

Hummer Cold Air Intake and K&N cold air intakes are some of the best in the business. this intakes provide the best-flowing filters and lowest-restriction airbox plumbing available today.
I'm getting too paranoid in my old age. 1 post and a link to www.coldairintakedirect.comleads me to suspect that you work for the site?

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake for 07 H3