PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Cold Air Intake for 07 H3

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Default RE: Cold Air Intake for 07 H3

What's your opinion with True Flow Obie1???

Old 03-11-2007, 01:17 PM

HumRluvR, I personally haven't run a True Flow on any of my vehicles yet. But I have had some experience with oiled foam elements on Harley motors and they do perform very well. I do see some good things about the True Flow. They should make the guys who spend a lot of time off road happy. Maintaining the factory air box should be better in the dirt(dust) and water and the foam filter should work better than a cloth one if it gets a little dirty out on the trail(until you can get home and clean it). Performance wise, they are all the same concept, K&N, Volant, Air Raid or True Flow should all offer similiar hp gains. The True Flow system looks like it would be easy to install and there's not a lot of parts so I would asume there price is reasonable(haven't seen a price).The only negative I've read, here on this forum, was that someone had a problem with their "air box vibrates and rattles" with a True Flow. Have you had any problems with this? Do their couplers have enough give in them to isolate the shake of the motor from the air box? It seems like it would be most noticeable at idle. If you tell me yours works great, I'll have to consider running one!

Old 03-13-2007, 12:28 AM

Hey Obie1

I've been a K&N user for yearsuntil i ripped apart an intake on a Jimmy i once owned. I couldn't believe the amount of crap caked on the inside of the air tube, MAF, and on thethrottle body valve!!! [:'(]
Foam is the only way to go for a full protection fas as i know... Especialy for off-roading use.
True Flow video more or less sold me on their product... Did you watch it???
As for the air box vibration... Yes it's there but very unnoticeable, more audible while in reverse in low RPM range, at idle... no, and in drive it depends on how cold the outside tempis.. 0c and lower is more apparent but again in low rpm range. What's causing this vibration is this coupler between the air box and the inner fender, if i can isolate this making it rigid to the air box... the noise would be gone!!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 01:09 AM

Hi HumRluvR, I have been doing some research since your original post and I did watch the TF video, just this afternoon.I knew the foam was good but I was surprised how much dirt the gauze filter let through.Ouch. Unlike you, I never took apart the trottle body on my last truck, that a ran a K&N on.(Last time I saw it , it was on the lot at the Hummer dealer).I've read several reviews and they all were very positive(not all that surprising). I even e-mailed TF andasked them about "air box vibration". They replied back (in 20 minutes, no less) and said they were unaware of any such problems. Do you think ifI turn up the stereo, I wouldn't notice it? Maybe a good cat back exhaust would drown it out completely.
But seriously, thanks for your advice. I'm looking to do the trifecta- CAI,performance exhaust and apcm tune. Thanks to the guys and gals on this forum , there's lot of good info to sort through. I've all ready got a couple of vendors scoped out for the TF, so maybe I'll make the departure from K&N.
Let me kow when your ready to talk exhaust!

Old 03-13-2007, 01:25 AM

Your very welcome Obie1!!!
Matter of fact bud... I'm currently waiting on a loaner PCM from PCM forLess, and i'm planning of picking up a Cat-Back from Gibson in a month or so... Good price, and great reviews from here, and most of all....Dennis Likes it!!!

Old 03-16-2007, 08:03 PM

Guys,

I just received a K&N Air Charger Cold Air Intake P/N #63-1095. After looking on ebay and this forum last week I ASSUMED it was the right one for my H3 unfortunately it isn't. I have an 07 H3 and it simply won't work...

The Mass Air Sensor and mounting bracket that bolts to the intake tube is different that the 06 model and 07. The 07 mass air sensor is so large it won't even go into the hole on the intake tube, nor would the stock bracket align with the holes in the new tube.

I wish I had called K&N first like Obie1 did, I didn't realize the darn thing wouldn't fit, nor did I see anywhere that it wouldn't work.

So....... if someone wants a K&N CAI for an 06 H3, I have one! The vendor will charge me a 15% restocking fee if I return it, I've not talked to them about this yet, not sure if they'd take it back at all after it's been opened. I unwrapped everything out of the box and put the seal around the air dam and bolted the vertical bracket to it. After doing that I was looking at the air sensor assembly on the Hummer and looked at the tube and realized it's not going to work.

If someone wants this one for their 06 let me know before I send this thing back. Please send me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks!

Raymond

Old 03-16-2007, 09:21 PM

Hummmer Driver
Sorry to hear that the K&N did not work out.I am a K&N fan and have used them in the past. I pointed out to them that some vendor sites list their CAI's as fittting both 06' and 07' H3's. Their only response was "we do not make a cold air intake for your vehicle". They would not say why.Now I know there's a good reason.
Your best bet might be to send it back to the vendor. For someone to buy it from you, you might have to make them a better deal than 15% off.
My patience wore thin soI took HumRluvR's advice and ordered a True Flow.There a couple of interesting twists with the True Flow 1) their tube mounts between the mass air sensor and the throttle body- so your problem wouldn't be an issue and 2) if your dead set against using a foam element, since they maintain the factory air box, you could run a K&N filter, which they do make for the 07 H3.(All though you have to buy two filters).
I have every reason to beleive the True Flow will be a good system.
Good Luck with yours.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:18 PM

[&:]My hummer doesn't havea cold air intakeyet but with my old car I did install one. It's a good add-ons to increase performance inexpensively. I've had this vw cold air intake with my bettle. Aside from bringing down the temperature of the air going into a car for the purpose of increasing the power of the internal-combustion engine, it also increases the appeal of a car by changing the appearance of a car's engine bay and creating an attractive intake noise. Hope you get a good one! [8D]

Old 03-17-2007, 12:37 AM

Peanut..what kinda HUMMER you got?

Old 03-19-2007, 03:40 AM

fishing for a turd???

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake for 07 H3