PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Clanking noise in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:04 AM
Default Clanking noise in cold weather

Hey Guys need help on this, i just finished my 15k service with broken back door and glove box handle, great service just paid the oil, filter and replaced the handles free (Qatar).

Cold season just started 2 months back but the temperature yesterday drop to 10 deg C with rains and flooded streets.

Yesterday morning and today got a loud clanking noise underneath like a slipping gear, the first hundred meters from the garage was quiet until i merge into the traffic. Got it park coz the noise was constant and i wont accelerate coz something might broke.

Tried shifting to diff gear but still there, after two minutes its gone. Is there something about the temperature?

[&:][>:]

Old 01-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Default RE: Clanking noise in cold weather

I would bring it to the dealer if I were you....maybe they did something....if it only happened right when you left.....

Old 01-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Dude, 10 degrees C is NOT cold, maybe to you, but not to the great white north. Temp has nothing to do with it. Check under the driver side (left side here) where the emergency/parking brake cable runs, sometimes it is not routed correctly and makes a racket under there by rubbing the frame/body. Follow the cable and make sure it is not contacting anything. There are some posts on that here,and you can search for them.

The other real possibility, since you just had service, is loose skid plate bolt(s).

Otherwise, good luck.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

If it had been me it would have been my knees knocking together until the truck warmed up.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:49 AM

I'LL TRY FEW DAYS MORE AND VISIT THE DEALER IF IT STILL THERE, THANKS...

Old 01-15-2008, 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

The other real possibility, since you just had service, is loose skid plate bolt(s).

Otherwise, good luck.
THANKS DOC, just remembered that i complained about a missing bolt in the skid plate last service, got to check tomorrow morning.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:43 AM

Doc may be right.Metal shrinks when cold so it may have rattled until your ride warmed up. Get a wrench and crawl under there and tighten your skid plate bolts. Also make sure they didn't put the plates back on crooked and they're not rubbing up against something. You have to remember, techs generally aren't interested in doing a quailty job, they just want to get it in and out quickly because they're paid by the job and not the hour. If the GM manual says a job takes 1.34 hours to complete and the tech takes 1.5 hours to do it he's losing money. So he works as fast as he can so he can stay under the rate and move to the next job.