PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Child Lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Default RE: Child Lock

ORIGINAL: rkcrawl

ORIGINAL: importkiller

misplaced?!?!? REALLY?!?!?! Well let me tell you something, if a woman can sue Mcdonalds for a few million because their hot coffee burned her you don't think GM will get sued if a child dies from their failure to have child safety locks on a 2006 Hummer? If you don't think so then I suggest you get your head out of the brown spot. I am a parent and I do teach my son but you can't teach a 15 month old not to open a door, they will pull at and play with anything they can reach...guess what???? My son could reach the door lock and door handle at 15 months old...now tell me MR. SUPER DAD how is this not Gm's problem, seems to me they were the ones that came up with the overall sh*t design. Maybe if the back seat was set back a few more inches then it would keep little ones from bieng able to reach the lock and handle or maybe they could have invented some kind of a lock so that the door can't be opened from the inside.....hmm......oh yea A CHILD SAFETY DOOR LOCK THAT EVERY OTHER CAR IN THE WORLD HAS!!!

SO YES, IF MY 15 MONTH OLD WERE TO OPEN THE DOOR AGAIN AND GOD FORBID SOMETHING AWEFUL HAPPENED TO HIM...YOU CAN BET YOUR SWEET A$$ THAT I AM GONNA SUE GM FOR ALL THEY GOT!!!!!
I'm a parent too. Do I want something to happen to your child? Emphatically NO! Did I agree that GM was dumb to over look they safety lock, yes. But to threat a lawsuit over it, when nothing has happened, is IMO a misplaced threat. Sorry you see it differently and are offended. I happen to disagree with the woman who burned herself with coffee and sued Mcd because the coffee was hot.

I don't want to further offend you, but you are stating that simply being able to access the door is cause enough for a child to fall out... I assume that child would also then have not been buckled into a proper car seat either, correct? All this talk about when we were kids we didn't have these child safety locks is true, we also didn't have car seat or boosters and seatbelt laws. All of which we do now and all of them together DO greatly increase the safety of children when riding in a car. But NONE of them remove our ultimate responsibility for our children's safety.

I know this will upset you, but no one is making you drive the H3 with your children in it. If you do, and YOU KNOW that it doesn't have the child locks on the rear doors, then you ultimately are responsible for what happens (even if you want to argue that its GMs fault).

Again, first and foremost, I don't wish any harm to your child or any other child. I am simply trying to make the point: The rear doors don't have them, yes really dumb on GMs part, but you (we) made the decision to buy and drive the vehicle with our children in them. That puts A LOT of the responsibility on US.

You didn't offend me, I just don't buy the arguement that GM doesn't have any liablility if/when something does happen. PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE I STATED as you say I did "simply being able to access the door is cause enough for a child to fall out"? I never said anything about falling out, I simply said opening the door. Yes my son is always in a car seat but him falling out isn't the only danger if he opens the door while driving, think about...there are numerous things that can injure a child while still in their car seat if he/she were to open the door. Don't know about you but I'm thinking swinging the door open into oncoming traffic could cause injury...ya think?

I didn't make a threat about a lawsuit, I simply stated that GM is too cheap to issue a nationwide recall over this when the know damn well they dropped the ball. They will instead wait and only issue a recall when/if a child dies or gets injured and through a lawsuit their hand is forced into issuing a recall to save face. Simple big business practice.

As far as this part of your reply:
"I know this will

Old 06-01-2006, 10:29 PM

When I bought the H3 I thought it had child safety door locks, my window sticker even says child safety door locks...still think GM isn't liable? I kept the sticker and faxed a copy of it to GM along with a request that I be traded into a 2007 with the same exact options I have on my 2006 with no penalty or my lawyer will be handling the rest of our conversations....It's been a week now with no response...thats a shocker!!
Interesting..Everytime this topic comes up, it becomes a little heated...

I feel for all your points and agree, that with this day and age these cars should have those simple safety features included..However, I don't think anyone is going to get their 2006's traded for a 2007 on that issue alone..sorry, I don't see it happening. They'd replace your doors before GM would trade you cars...

I did look at my window sticker and there was no false claim of being equipped with child safe door locks for the rear doors ..couldn't find where it said that anywhere....I'd like to see your window sticker....If it does say that somewhere, then I think maybe you have a legit complaint...Can you take a pictures of your window sticker that you faxed the lawyer, or scan it in and post it here? That would be interesting to see.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:35 PM

Dennis, I'll get the sticker back from my lawyer next week and scan it in for you to see it. I have no reason to lie about this. I love my H3 and would be happy with just new doors but so far they are unwilling to do that too. This will be taken care of one way or another, I just hope GM or the dealer steps up and makes good, if not I will go back to Dodge.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:41 PM

Dennis, I'll get the sticker back from my lawyer next week and scan it in for you to see it. I have no reason to lie about this. I love my H3 and would be happy with just new doors but so far they are unwilling to do that too. This will be taken care of one way or another, I just hope GM or the dealer steps up and makes good, if not I will go back to Dodge.
..Please understand, in no way was I calling you a liar..far from it..I meant if that is printed on the window sticker, I think that GM has to make it right for you..It would be intersting to see this blatant example of false advertising..Sorry if you took it wrong.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:31 AM

Sell a man an H3 and he will find things wrong with it, get him a lawyer and he will become a poster child for what is wrong with this country!!

Sell the Hummer get a Magnum and have a great time!!

Old 06-02-2006, 02:54 AM

WOW ! WOW !WOW ! Any way BOTTOM LINE GM didnt want to redesign a new door for the H 3 so they just took the cayon truck doors which didnt have them i guess also thought everyone driving a cayon truck wouldnt have children either so they took that door and put it on the h3. YES they should have found away to put the child lock on it YES YES YES YES THEY SHOULD HAVE AND COULD HAVE BUT BOTTOM LINE COST COST COST AND TIME VERSUS SAFETY AND THEY CHOSE MONEY AND TIME NO ONE CAN ARGUE WITH THAT CAN THEY ??????? I TALKED TO HUMMER WHEN THEY CALLED BACK ME BACK. IT just wasnt customer service i talked to a very high pesronal with hummer he was like a vp or some thing he was on a safety panel and hummer and gm board he said.the problem i have my 4 yer old likes to undo her seat belt when i do and open her door when i open mine. i cant get to her sometimes before she opens her dooor, that is bad if a car is coming down the street. YES we can talk teach and talk to they are told a 10000 times but young kids have a mind of theer own and will do things they arent supoose to do sometimes no matter what.liek i sad it came down to time and cost. maybe it should be a acessories like all of the other 1000 acessories they now sell.i do love my h3 but it sad that something thats be around on cars now since WHAT 1995 ?THEY WERE IN A HURRY TO GET THE H 3 OUT BOTTOM LINE !

Old 06-02-2006, 04:29 AM

Dennis, I didn't take it that way bro, never crossed my mind!

Racepet, if you are referring to me and I think you are then you can, well I'll edit that out in an attempt to keep this cival.

I brought this to the attention of my lawyer AFTER GM refused to answer my questions as to why my window sticker said child safety locks and after delivery of the truck there was no such thing. If you think a consumer standing up for himself against a Major corporation using false advertising is what is wrong with this country then I feel sorry for you. We do have laws to protect us for a reason, ya know! I have a strong feeling that if it was your 15 month old son that opened the door in the middle of Manhatten while driving 50 mph in traffic then you would feel differently about this.

I am not trying to sue or looking for anything free here, I love my H3 and wouldn't want to trade it for anything, all I want is what my window sticker said when I bought it. But yes, I would sell it and go back to Dodge if GM refuses to make right by THEIR ADVERTISING...not because I dislike the truck but because the COMPANY is pissing me off.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:07 AM

importkiller - If your window sticker says rear door child saftey locks then you have a beef (and as Dennis said I'm not doubting you on that). I just checked my window sticker and no where does it say that it has safetly locks. I still think you'd have a hard time proving negligence on this one, even if the doors had them, they aren't automatic, you'd have to proactively engage them and you are still driving the vehicle knowing it doesn't have them. I sincerely hope you are never in the position of having to try to prove it.

In any case, good luck on your quest to get GM to swap out the rear doors.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:25 AM

TRY CALLLING SEWLL HUMMER IN PLANO TXAS THERE IS A GUY THERE THAT IS ON THE HUMMER BOARD AND HELPED WITH THE DESIGN OF THE H 3 I TALKED TO HIM THERE. DONT REMEMBER HIS NAME.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:13 PM

I'killer,

If it said child locks on the sticker then of course you are entitled. I am reacting to your statements of instantly suing GM. I agree 100% on a recall for this.

I have an 8 and 10 year old and had my share of my "type A" son unbuckling himself when older than yours. I never once thought about sueing the seat manufacturer for not making a child proof buckle. What I am hearing from you is that GM is totally accountable for this. I think strapping your child into the child seat will fix any problems. There is no reason a child should ever be lose in the car, ever!!! Is your kid getting loose or is this happening as you are multitasking on your treo loading the kids, groceries or what ever. If any of those are true then you must look at your routine a little closer.

Some of your points are silly,

1. I lived in Manhattan for 7 years. Why are you driving 50mph in the city with a child? That is the domain of psycho cabbies.

2. Try opening a car door at 50MPH (I would do it on the freeway not in the city) and you will discover something called wind resistance.

3. Please stop ranting about going back to Dodge, I assure you neither company really wants your business if you react with them as you do here.

You could get 2 Dodge Calibers, weld them double decker style and put the children up top with a padlock on each door and still be under the base price of 1 H3 and it would be totally unique!!!

Quick Reply: Child Lock