PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Child Lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Default Child Lock

Does any one Know were the Child Lock is located for a 2006 H3
for the Rear Doors ,

Most Cars have them on the side of the door... but i am going Crazy looking for it..

Old 05-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Default RE: Child Lock

This is one thing that GM left out by, I believe, oversight..there is none on this 2006MY..The 2007 will have the child locks.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:36 AM

I was told by hummer because i called and ask for someone high enough up to call me and explain how something so IMPORTANT could be neglected by hummer and gm. he said they used the colorado pick up truck doors and they didnt have them on it.. he did say the 2007 would be on there. he said i could program on the remote that when i put it in park only my door would unlock but that doesnt stop your kids from unlocking the door themselfs and then opening the door. it is so dangerous to be able to have a child open the door before you can stop mthen in the drivers seat,i told them how something that has been around for years and they couldnt have it on theer is so stupid on there part and dangerous and one day they might get a call from someone who has a child fallen out and get a law suit on them.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:38 AM

ORIGINAL: nascar 17

I was told by hummer because i called and ask for someone high enough up to call me and explain how something so IMPORTANT could be neglected by hummer and gm. he said they used the colorado pick up truck doors and they didnt have them on it.. he did say the 2007 would be on there. he said i could program on the remote that when i put it in park only my door would unlock but that doesnt stop your kids from unlocking the door themselfs and then opening the door. it is so dangerous to be able to have a child open the door before you can stop mthen in the drivers seat,i told them how something that has been around for years and they couldnt have it on theer is so stupid on there part and dangerous and one day they might get a call from someone who has a child fallen out and get a law suit on them.
I understand your anger and frustration about the locks, but think about when you grew up. Cars didn't have them then, and it didn't take the smart kids long to figure out that if they open the door, they got in trouble. The slower learning kids took longer, and the defiant ones didn't care. Kids today are just as smart, if not smarter, as they were when we were kids, so it would stand to reason the same would go for them as it did for us. The smart ones will learn, the slow ones will eventually learn, and the defiant ones will find the switch and open the doors anyway.

IMO I dont believe that the automobile manufacturers, or anyone else, should be responsible for the behavior and actions of someone's children. Besides, if the kids are properly restrained in a car seat, they shouldn't be at risk of falling out. Just my .02 and I hope I didn't offend.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

ORIGINAL: nascar 17

I understand your anger and frustration about the locks, but think about when you grew up. Cars didn't have them then, and it didn't take the smart kids long to figure out that if they open the door, they got in trouble. The slower learning kids took longer, and the defiant ones didn't care. Kids today are just as smart, if not smarter, as they were when we were kids, so it would stand to reason the same would go for them as it did for us. The smart ones will learn, the slow ones will eventually learn, and the defiant ones will find the switch and open the doors anyway.

IMO I dont believe that the automobile manufacturers, or anyone else, should be responsible for the behavior and actions of someone's children. Besides, if the kids are properly restrained in a car seat, they shouldn't be at risk of falling out. Just my .02 and I hope I didn't offend.
I can understand your response..to a point. On the first day we had out H3 my son reached over from his car seat and opened the door...scared the bejesus out of me. It was a dumb oversight by GM and after a few child deaths they will be sued and the 2006 models will be retro fit with the child door locks.

While you are correct that cars when we were kids did not have them and we were ok, look at the cars you are comparing here. A 2006 h3 rear door with power door locks is A TON easier to open than say the 1979 Pontiac station wagon my mom had when I was a kid. First off the door lock and the handle are right next to each other on the h3, back in the day the door locks were mostly all the pull up kind at the back of the door, alot of adults had a hard time pulling them suckers up, plus the door handles were hard to pull and the door themselves weighed a ton. The problem with not having the door locks is that the car seat now HAS to be located in the center of the rear seat, totally eliminating the ability to have an adult rear passenger sit comfortably on the already narrow rear seat. By mounting the seat in the center the rear cupholders are now useless also and also makes mounting the seat solidly without any side to side play a royal biatch!

I don't buy the excuse that we didn't have it back when we were kids so todays kids should be ok too. We didn't have air bags back then either but they are pretty much standard now. Same with air conditioning, rear shoulder harness seat belts, and numerous other improvements that most couldn't live without. It's a damn shame when you could buy a friggen $15,000 Kia and have child door locks but a $35,000 Hummer doesn't have them.....wait to go GM!!

Old 06-01-2006, 05:24 AM

By no means am I saying we had it better. The advances in making things safe make it so kids today have it better then we did. I am just saying that it isn't the manufacturers fault if someone does something stupid and gets hurt from it. Gone are the days of a 90 lb tv placed on a flimsy metal tv tray so that it can fall on you when you change the channel. Now the tv hangs on a wall and you change the channel with a remote. That doesn't mean that nobody still has a 90 lb tv on a flimsy metal tv tray. But, just because that one person has a 54" flat panel big screen on the tv tray instead of hanging on the wall where it could be doesnt mean that they should be able to sue the tv manufacturer when thier kid pulls it down on themself. The point being that the manufaturer shouln't be responsible for taking all of the liability for all risks incurred with thier product.

Maybe because I dont have any children of my own it is difficult for me to fully see your side of it, but it seems to me that all of the children I have been around, the ones too small to figure out how to get out of thier child seats can't reach that far, and the ones old enough to get in and out of thier seats on thier own were old enough to be disiplined to leave things like the door handle alone.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:50 AM

While I agree that is was dumb on GMs part to over look these, not having them does not remove the responsibility we have as parents to teach our children to be safe in the car. Even if they were there, there isn't anything that forces them to be used...so making statements like

"dangerous and one day they might get a call from someone who has a child fallen out and get a law suit on them."

in my opinion is misplaced.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:46 PM

misplaced?!?!? REALLY?!?!?! Well let me tell you something, if a woman can sue Mcdonalds for a few million because their hot coffee burned her you don't think GM will get sued if a child dies from their failure to have child safety locks on a 2006 Hummer? If you don't think so then I suggest you get your head out of the brown spot. I am a parent and I do teach my son but you can't teach a 15 month old not to open a door, they will pull at and play with anything they can reach...guess what???? My son could reach the door lock and door handle at 15 months old...now tell me MR. SUPER DAD how is this not Gm's problem, seems to me they were the ones that came up with the overall sh*t design. Maybe if the back seat was set back a few more inches then it would keep little ones from bieng able to reach the lock and handle or maybe they could have invented some kind of a lock so that the door can't be opened from the inside.....hmm......oh yea A CHILD SAFETY DOOR LOCK THAT EVERY OTHER CAR IN THE WORLD HAS!!!

SO YES, IF MY 15 MONTH OLD WERE TO OPEN THE DOOR AGAIN AND GOD FORBID SOMETHING AWEFUL HAPPENED TO HIM...YOU CAN BET YOUR SWEET A$$ THAT I AM GONNA SUE GM FOR ALL THEY GOT!!!!!

Old 06-01-2006, 03:57 PM

I have to agree GM Really Fuc* up on this one , come on is 2006 is all about Safety
if you guys look in the H3 Manual it has about 5 pages of Car seat Safety how to strap it down how to do this and that but yet they forget to add child lock LOL

And yes back in the days cars didnt have Child locks , but back in the days
people were not suing becuase your coffe was to hot..

Old 06-01-2006, 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

misplaced?!?!? REALLY?!?!?! Well let me tell you something, if a woman can sue Mcdonalds for a few million because their hot coffee burned her you don't think GM will get sued if a child dies from their failure to have child safety locks on a 2006 Hummer? If you don't think so then I suggest you get your head out of the brown spot. I am a parent and I do teach my son but you can't teach a 15 month old not to open a door, they will pull at and play with anything they can reach...guess what???? My son could reach the door lock and door handle at 15 months old...now tell me MR. SUPER DAD how is this not Gm's problem, seems to me they were the ones that came up with the overall sh*t design. Maybe if the back seat was set back a few more inches then it would keep little ones from bieng able to reach the lock and handle or maybe they could have invented some kind of a lock so that the door can't be opened from the inside.....hmm......oh yea A CHILD SAFETY DOOR LOCK THAT EVERY OTHER CAR IN THE WORLD HAS!!!

SO YES, IF MY 15 MONTH OLD WERE TO OPEN THE DOOR AGAIN AND GOD FORBID SOMETHING AWEFUL HAPPENED TO HIM...YOU CAN BET YOUR SWEET A$$ THAT I AM GONNA SUE GM FOR ALL THEY GOT!!!!!
I'm a parent too. Do I want something to happen to your child? Emphatically NO! Did I agree that GM was dumb to over look they safety lock, yes. But to threat a lawsuit over it, when nothing has happened, is IMO a misplaced threat. Sorry you see it differently and are offended. I happen to disagree with the woman who burned herself with coffee and sued Mcd because the coffee was hot.

I don't want to further offend you, but you are stating that simply being able to access the door is cause enough for a child to fall out... I assume that child would also then have not been buckled into a proper car seat either, correct? All this talk about when we were kids we didn't have these child safety locks is true, we also didn't have car seat or boosters and seatbelt laws. All of which we do now and all of them together DO greatly increase the safety of children when riding in a car. But NONE of them remove our ultimate responsibility for our children's safety.

I know this will upset you, but no one is making you drive the H3 with your children in it. If you do, and YOU KNOW that it doesn't have the child locks on the rear doors, then you ultimately are responsible for what happens (even if you want to argue that its GMs fault).

Again, first and foremost, I don't wish any harm to your child or any other child. I am simply trying to make the point: The rear doors don't have them, yes really dumb on GMs part, but you (we) made the decision to buy and drive the vehicle with our children in them. That puts A LOT of the responsibility on US.

Quick Reply: Child Lock