PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Changing to Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by BlueH3
I get lazy sometimes and take our H3 to the corner Penzoil oiil change place who has semi-synthetic Penzoil as a standard change. Anyone know if the semi is a significant advantage or not over dino oil?
I use it mostly just to help with the change over to full synthetic, but it does have some advantage. I use it in high revving engines mostly

Old 07-15-2011, 06:54 AM

5W30 full synthetic Motul [ french ] since I bought the H3..API approved...
I use the same stuff in my BMW E38 with a V8 ...I change both oils at 5K miles...

Old 07-15-2011, 07:52 AM

I used to use conventional oil, but last time I switched to a synthetic blend because of a sale. This time I changed to Mobil 1 (also because of a sale). It's only been in there for a couple of gas tanks, but I have already noticed the added fuel economy since the change.

My dealer told me that switching to a synthetic blend for 1 oil change before going to full synthetic is recommended, so that it helps condition the seals. Whether this is true or not, I don't know, because I'm not a mechanic.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:00 AM
Banned
Default dino oil???

like , dinosaur,dino??

not likely!! most oil is down a mile thru hard rock! not likely that millions of dinos swam out a few miles into the ocean/gulf then down a mile,then drilled down a mile,and finally died so we could oil a rusty hinge or change ahl at 5000 miles.
no,oil dont come from dead animals,,,,oh my,,,,if it did some whacko would want to start feeding cattle corn to make oil and we'd have no gasahol!!

billions of dinos just for what we use in a week! i dont think so

Old 07-15-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
like , dinosaur,dino??

not likely!! most oil is down a mile thru hard rock! not likely that millions of dinos swam out a few miles into the ocean/gulf then down a mile,then drilled down a mile,and finally died so we could oil a rusty hinge or change ahl at 5000 miles.
no,oil dont come from dead animals,,,,oh my,,,,if it did some whacko would want to start feeding cattle corn to make oil and we'd have no gasahol!!

billions of dinos just for what we use in a week! i dont think so

Do what?

Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 AM

Crude oil is actually derived from living organisms, but not "dinosaurs". More like single cell bodies like plankton and such that were found in bodies of water millions of years ago.

It's not worth getting into, but the gist of it is those creatures died, sank to the bottom of the water bodies, and over millions of years of heat and pressure were converted to what we now know as crude oil. That being said, who knows for sure if there are other sources out there.

Oil has been found in locations not normally thought of as being oil bearing, so there is still a lot we don't know about where it all came from for sure.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

sank to the bottom of the water bodies,
saudia arabia claims they sank to the bottom of ,,,the desert!.

when u see the diverse places oil is found, all those "animals" could not possibly have found their way there.
its not organic

Since oil is lighter than water, everywhere on Earth, there is no way that petroleum could be an organic, fossil fuel that is created on or near the surface, and penetrate Earth ahead of water. Oil must originate far below and gradually work its way up into well-depth areas accessable to surface drilling. It comes from far below. Therefore, petroleum is not a "Fossil" fuel with a surface or near surface origin.

It was made to be thought a "Fossil" fuel by the Nineteenth oil producers to create the concept that it was of limited supply and therefore extremely valuable. This fits with the "Depletion"allowance philosophical scam.

During one of our C.S.I.S. "International Nights" (1978) the Common Market Energy boss, M. Montibrial of France, told us that while petroleum was being marketed then for $20.00 per barrel or more, it cost no more than 25 cents per barrel at the well-head. There is our petroleum problem! We were paying more than $1.50-$1.60 per gallon, one 42nd of a barrel, at that time. Interested folks need to learn more about the Chartered Institute of Transport, and not waste their time with OPEC, the "Cover" story.

Last edited by drtom; 07-15-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:15 PM

This is probably not the place for this discussion... but the places that are land now, were not always land. The places that are oceans now, weren't always oceans.

If you are an atheist, plate tectonics and earth movement over a long period of time is your answer.

If you are a creationist, catastrophic plate tectonics and higher-than-normal earth crust temperatures during the great flood would do the trick.

Regardless, what used to be ocean floor (covered in organic matter) got crushed, baked, and then elevated to land.

THAT SAID: It could also be some of both, organic matter and naturally occuring (or created) material.

Last edited by beitodesstrafe; 07-15-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:20 PM

And to bring this full circle:

I use Mobile 1 synthetic!

Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned
Default I use Mobile 1 synthetic!

yeah,,,def not organic!

but

If you are an atheist, plate tectonics and earth movement over a long period of time ( is )your answer. ( is it? just a guess,no proof)

If you are a creationist, catastrophic plate tectonics and higher-than-normal earth crust temperatures during the great flood would do the trick. (would it?,just a guess,no mention of this during the flood),just a lot of rain

Last edited by drtom; 07-15-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Changing to Synthetic Oil