PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Changing Oil at 10 minute stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Default Changing Oil at 10 minute stop

I am going to change the Oil today and am wondering of what you guys think of the quick oil change places ? I really do not want to shell out the $90 plus tax at my dealership (synthetic)when I can get it for $49.99 at That 10 Minute Oil change in Rochelle Park, NJ. They use Mobil 1, even though I would prefer the Amsoil which is rated much higher. I was told they will do the change for $30 if I bring my own oil. But the question is the quality of work these stations perform, are you guys likely to use them ? also changing it on my own is out of the question as I have no place nore desire to do it in this cold weather I had a bad experience once in one of these quick oil change places where they overtightened the bolt on my transmission fluid container and had to replace the whole transmission due to it.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Changing Oil at 10 minute stop

Well, no rocket scientists are moonlighting at the quicky lube, that is for sure.

I would make a point of checking that they put in ALL of the 13MM skid plate bolts, and tightened them, or you will be like a buch of others on here missing a bolt or two and hearing rattling skids.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:24 PM

Alot of places won't do them if you have the skid plates on when you show up.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:37 PM

My neighbor went to a jiffy lube but they couldnt find the oil filter so they sent him home. Do the math

Old 01-27-2009, 01:41 PM

If your truck computer tracks oil life, can the quicky lube guys re-set it?

Old 01-27-2009, 02:44 PM

I wouldpay the extra 40$ for the piece of mind! (that's my 2 cents)

ORIGINAL: Raffi76

I am going to change the Oil today and am wondering of what you guys think of the quick oil change places ? I really do not want to shell out the $90 plus tax at my dealership (synthetic)when I can get it for $49.99 at That 10 Minute Oil change in Rochelle Park, NJ. They use Mobil 1, even though I would prefer the Amsoil which is rated much higher. I was told they will do the change for $30 if I bring my own oil. But the question is the quality of work these stations perform, are you guys likely to use them ? also changing it on my own is out of the question as I have no place nore desire to do it in this cold weather I had a bad experience once in one of these quick oil change places where they overtightened the bolt on my transmission fluid container and had to replace the whole transmission due to it.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:55 PM

When I changed to Amsoil a local shop that the Amsoil dealer dealt with offered to change the oil for $15 plus environmental fee. $30 seemshigh for only changing the oil and no product.. especially when a Mobil1 change is 49.99. That would mean that they chargeonly $20 retail for the oil and filter?? In Jersey.. must be a or mafia shop

I did my change myself and made a mess of everything (rookie). When I had my cylinder head replaced and they had to trash all of my2 week old Amsoil, my dealer offered to put it in if I brought it. I haven't checked yet but I'm sure the dealer would do a labor only change if you want the better oils and you'd know that everything was done properly.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:21 PM

I would not recommend going to any of the quick change places. I took my old blazer to a Jiffy Lube once and they stripped the threads on the oil pan and from then on I had to use a plastic washer every time I changed the old so it would not drip and leak.

I would take it to the dealer or to a trusted mechanic shop; that or do it yourself.

Phil

Old 01-27-2009, 05:31 PM

I also have had bad experiences at quick lube places, telling me i needed stuf i know i don't need, then it makes you wonder if they actually did the stuff they said they didm, because you dont trust them after they try to screw you

told me i had completley worn and cracked brake pads and roters were shot

went home took off wheel, brakes were still very good not cracked ( they have theat slot down the middle asholes ! ) and the roters were smooth,,,,ugghhhh

it sucks but now i do oil change myself, but now i use royal purple

Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 PM

I would agree with what's being said here. Rocket scientists they are not. I would guess the training they have comes from Bubba U.
Those places are for fleet vehicles, college girls using Daddies credit card, and single soccer mom's. Pay the extra for the piece of mind that comes with getting it done right, it's much less expensive in the long run.