PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Can/Will Hummer survive after 2020?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Default Can/Will Hummer survive after 2020?

What do you guys/gals think? I find it hard to believe that without some kind of severly advanced engineering will you see anything comparable to a H3/H2 that will get 35MPG unless it's a bio-deisel/electric hybrid and made of lighter metal.

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...696382,00.html

Old 12-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Default RE: Can/Will Hummer survive after 2020?

I think if they would make some simple windshield angle changes, use fiberglass body parts to lighten it up and get rid of these damn 5 cyl engines they could improve mpg greatly and they will still be around.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

So Inevels digs the I5, and the palstic fenders ? Not a problem, the rest of the GM line will shrink to 2 cylinder skateboards, and deisel fuel will cost an arm and a leg more than it does now.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, they already have a Hummer bicycle right? Maybe that's practice for their new 2020 release of the Hummer Moped

Old 12-28-2007, 01:32 PM

all i am saying is the small engine doesn't have enough power for a 5000# truck. I too know about muscle cars and how the added power getsthe unit moving with less strain.I had a1964 buick riviera with the 425 wildcat engine w/dual quads and was getting around 13-15 mpg. they could do a lot better if gm would get there head out of their *** and quit trying to short cut everything saying it cost less which it does for them but we the enduser has to suffer so they can make their profit.

not trying to bad mouthor complain but in 20 years we all will be doing the same thing. paying what ever they tell us to.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:34 PM
krm

The Hummer will be fine and so will the muscle car. What everyone seems to not notice or ignore. Is it is not 35 MPG per car, it is the average of all the cars made by a manufacturer. So GM will make more cars that are fuel efficient and it will allow for H2 and Supercharged Vetts. Read this wired link http://blog.wired.com/cars/2007/12/35-mpg-fuel-eco.html

Old 12-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

You are right, but I think GM and Ford, having so many trucks in their stock, are both going to have a hard time doing this, as well as Dodge. They are going to have to come up with some pretty darn efficient vehicles in their car lines to compensate and offset their truck lines, don't you think?

Old 12-28-2007, 02:02 PM
krm

12... 12 years. A lot can happen in 12 years.
12 years ago we hardly had the Internet.
Also, all manufacturers will have the same problem. Trucks will weigh down Toyota too. Not to mention the fact that people are final starting to get educated and figure out that all those hybrid cars are actually WORSE for the environment than an H2, not to mention that every hybrid take huge liberties with the old gov. MPG you see on the sticker, with the new rules all those hybrids will see only about a 10% increase in mpg efficiency and a huge cost in disposing of the batteries when the car is ready to be junked.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Well, the batteries in the Prius's are recyclable, so they don't go into the ground, they get recycled and put back into another car, supposedly, but who knows. That whole thing is a myth. Not that I'm defending hybrids, but they batteries can be re-used and re-conditioned, according to Toyota and Honda.

Whether or not that is REALLY what happens remains to be seen.

Just remember though, 12 years ago our mileage in cars wasn't much worse then it is now

I hope you're right. I think they have a long way to go to be honest.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:40 PM
krm

My point about the batteries was, the amount of energy it takes to create and then recycle them, completely and then some erases any good they did for the consumers gas mileage. http://cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automoti...%20VERSION.pdf

Quick Reply: Can/Will Hummer survive after 2020?