PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Can Someone Confirm This Tire/Wheel Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:33 AM
Default Can Someone Confirm This Tire/Wheel Fit

Can someone confirm if this set-up will fit on my 2006 H3 without rubbing even at full lock? Everything is stock with no lift. I just want to make sure I don't rub before I order them..

Wheels (ION #174 with simulated beadlock)
16x8
-5 offset
4.25" backspacing

Tires- Trxus MT (super swampers)
34x12.70-16

Thanks!!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:36 AM

Tires should be fine, IMO go all the way with a 35" tire and fill up that wheel well.

Also be aware that with that backspacing you're going to stick out of the fenders a good bit, make sure that's legal in your state or you'll be kicking yourself when you get a ticket and need to buy $500 flares.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Draketh
Tires should be fine, IMO go all the way with a 35" tire and fill up that wheel well.

Also be aware that with that backspacing you're going to stick out of the fenders a good bit, make sure that's legal in your state or you'll be kicking yourself when you get a ticket and need to buy $500 flares.
I shouldnt have any issues with sticking out.. What would be a more reasonable backspacing/offset for this set-up? And agan, without having to worry about rubbing..

Thanks again

Old 05-19-2011, 12:00 PM

The factory wheels have a 38mm offset which translates to a 5.75" backspace on those 16x7.5 wheels. I have the factory wheels, and 35" pro comp Xtreme M/T's. 4.25" isn't terrible, but if it's not legal where you live for your tires to extend past the fenders it may be an issue. I'm currently considering 4" backspacing wheels. I'm running 35x12.50r16 tires and have almost zero problems with rubbing. I rub ever so slightly at absolute full lock, and not a hair less. It's not even enough to be cause for concern or cause damage.

With 34" tires you shouldn't have a problem, although they are slightly wider, but the backspacing should make that more than okay. You could go to 35" with that backspacing and have no issues whatsoever.

To give you an idea of what my factory wheels backspacing with 35" tires looks like heres a pic. It's not terrible, but expect to stick out considerably farther than this picture with that backspacing.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:40 PM

The factory wheels have a 38mm offset which translates to a 5.75" backspace on those 16x7.5 wheels. I have the factory wheels, and 35" pro comp Xtreme M/T's. 4.25" isn't terrible, but if it's not legal where you live for your tires to extend past the fenders it may be an issue. I'm currently considering 4" backspacing wheels. I'm running 35x12.50r16 tires and have almost zero problems with rubbing. I rub ever so slightly at absolute full lock, and not a hair less. It's not even enough to be cause for concern or cause damage.

With 34" tires you shouldn't have a problem, although they are slightly wider, but the backspacing should make that more than okay. You could go to 35" with that backspacing and have no issues whatsoever.

To give you an idea of what my factory wheels backspacing with 35" tires looks like heres a pic. It's not terrible, but expect to stick out considerably farther than this picture with that backspacing.
Thats a nice stance.. Now ya got me thinkin about a different set-up
Do you have the 5cyl motor and if so, did you lose much in gas mileage or power? I put 33's on my Dodge ram with 4.7L v8 and it kicks out of overdrive all the time.. I just wanted to make sure I avoid that with the Hummer..

Thanks again for the info

Old 05-19-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by CodyB
Thats a nice stance.. Now ya got me thinkin about a different set-up
Do you have the 5cyl motor and if so, did you lose much in gas mileage or power? I put 33's on my Dodge ram with 4.7L v8 and it kicks out of overdrive all the time.. I just wanted to make sure I avoid that with the Hummer..

Thanks again for the info
I have the 5.3L and honestly? I really didn't notice any kind of difference that made me unhappy. Sure it's a little slower getting up to speed getting onto the freeway, but 0-40 it's still fine, and the power is there when I need or want it.

The improvements I gained in handling compared to the factory Wrangler RT/S tires completely nullifies any perceived power loss. My bump steer is about 75% better than it was, the truck is unchanged in the rain despite the wide tires, and handles amazingly well on dry pavement, so well I was downright shocked. It definitely handles like a sport truck now. I was envious of my friends F-150 Raptor handling after getting to drive it but mine handles better than his does now.

I can't wait to get new shocks all the way around and tuff country leaf springs.

As far as power goes I was at a weekend long car show with an open drag strip and ended up beating an Escalade, Tahoe, Expedition, H2, Avalanche, Ram 1500, couple of jeeps, all with the 35" tires.

Gas mileage, it took a hit that immediately noticeable, but it's not TERRIBLE. I'm not going to pretend like fuel economy was even on the list of things I was looking for when I bought my truck, and I'm surely not going to whine about it now that the price of fuel is going up. I made my bed when I bought the truck so now I have to mud in it.

Last edited by Draketh; 05-19-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:10 PM

Not sure you are going to want a tire that wide on an 8" rim......

Old 05-19-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by 08JJ
Plenty of people have 12.5 wide tires on the factory 7.5 wide wheel, including me. I don't see how a 12.7 wide tire is going to cause any problems on a 8 wide wheel.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 PM

Plenty of people have 12.5 wide tires on the factory 7.5 wide wheel, including me. I don't see how a 12.7 wide tire is going to cause any problems on a 8 wide wheel.

Depends on how you are going to use it......air down those 12.5 tires to 10# and hit the beach or some rocks and let me know how it works out for you.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by 08JJ
I'm actually after the balloon tire look (like the jeeps) and its my wifes truck so it wont see any offroading..

Draketh, made some good points about the offset and it sticking out so now I'm trying to find a different wheel that I like that is at least +12 so they are a little more tucked. This truck only has 11,000 miles so the last thing I want to do is throw stones all over the paint.

Quick Reply: Can Someone Confirm This Tire/Wheel Fit