PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Can I get better MPG with synthetic in the entire drive train?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Default Can I get better MPG with synthetic in the entire drive train?

Hi I have an alpha and I want to try to get the best MPG out of this vehicle, can I put synthetic oil in the front and rear diff, the transmission and engine and see a difference in MPG? Is there a center diff for the AWD?

Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Default RE: Can I get better MPG with synthetic in the entire drive train?

Check your owners manual on all the drivetrain places that require oil. Your tranny, if it is an automatic might already have the new Dexron VI http://www.petro-canada.ca/pdfs/IM_8017_E_v14.pdffluid in it, so if you go synthetic you need to make sure it is compatible with the DEXRON VI. Also remember you have the torque convertor inside the tranny which holds about 5-6 qts and that does not drain out when you go and change yourtranny fluid.

I have never really read any solid evidence on any significant increase in MPG. If anything you might see 2-3 MPG increase. I have heard of small gains and reduced noise.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 PM

if you need better milage put your tranny in neutral and hoist the main sail matey!!!! j/k

Old 01-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know but I have a hard time believing it would make any type of noticable difference.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:47 PM

I don't know about running EVERYTHING synthetic, but I'm running synthetic oil and haven't really noticed a difference in MPG.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry Brud, but...... [sm=icon_rtfm.gif]
Automatic Transmission
DEXRON
®-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Front and Rear Axle
SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant
(GM Part No. U.S. 12378261, in Canada 10953455) meeting GM Specification 9986115.
Transfer Case
DEXRON
®-III Automatic Transmission Fluid. Look for “Approved for the
H-Specification” on the label.
Already got some synthetic except motor oil and T Case is Dex III. Can change it all out to Red Line etc., but the gain vs cost???

Old 01-04-2008, 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

Sorry Brud, but...... [sm=icon_rtfm.gif]
[align=left]Automatic Transmission[/align][align=left]DEXRON®-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid.[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]Front and Rear Axle[/align][align=left]SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant[/align][align=left](GM Part No. U.S. 12378261, in Canada 10953455) meeting GM Specification 9986115.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Transfer Case[/align][align=left]DEXRON®-III Automatic Transmission Fluid. Look for “Approved for the [/align][align=left]H-Specification” on the label.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Already got some synthetic except motor oil and T Case is Dex III. Can change it all out to Red Line etc., but the gain vs cost??? [/align]
Doc, were did you get this information, I haven't been able to get a good source to download from. I like to have that info available.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Gunny. The 06 Manual for the H3. Link http://www.hummeranswers.com/

PS. My secret stash of H3 official info. It's like a fishin hole, don't go blabbering to everybody where it is.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:12 AM

I would say you would see more improvement in MPG by increasing air pressure in your tires (rough ride)and by keeping speeds below 70 MPH (hard to do)

Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 AM

-OEM diff fluid and later model trannys use Dex VI which is also synthetic
-Redline is only aftermarket oil company with fully approved Dexron VI ATF fluid
-Yes, Redline is a better full syn fluid than the OEM syn fluids.
-Yes, you will notice a smoother ride switching to a better quality diff fluid such as Redline.

I prefer redline over Royal Purple and Mobil1 as it is made with higher quality stock, uses less additives and also makes fully approved Dexron VI

Quick Reply: Can I get better MPG with synthetic in the entire drive train?