PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

bye bye putco

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Default bye bye putco

well i have started to remove my putco products. i removed the handles today and put on the oem chrome handles. i have included a pic of the putco covers which are not even a year old.this is what my 5 handles look like they are cracking and dirty and i tryed everything to get them clean.so next i am removeing the mirror covers which are in worse condition then the handles.the mirror covers have brown spots on them which look like rust and it will not come off.i also noticed my front side markers that have putco covers are starting to go brown too so those will come off.i will never use putco products again.my hummer sits in my driveway outside most of the time so i guess putco cant handle the weather. i have learned to spend a little more to get a better product. so just wanted to see if any one else out there has had the bad experience that i have with putco

[IMG]local://upfiles/4035/B877F200F3674FD3BD335BAFA6ACCB41.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4035/5DA0DAEF7E924500BE5BF0EF2AE4BD7F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Default RE: bye bye putco

if u guys click on the pick u can see how shiny they where when i put them on. now look at the handle not even a year later.the mirrors are not even a year later and they have brown rust spots on them that wont come off and then the front markers have some brown starting.gona replace the mirrors with the oem chrome and gona look for stainless steel or chrome front markers not cheap plastic from putco any more

Old 03-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

That looks terrible. I am not a blinger but I have heard that the Putco stuff isn't the best.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

That is an example of just how brutal the midwest winters............and road salt [:'(]....can be on our vehicles. Man that stuff is tore up. Bummer.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:31 PM

Wow, that's some serious damage.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:34 PM

Ouch, that's why I leave the wifes H3 in the garage as much as possible during the winter. Don't think those chrome rims would like all the salt.

Glad you're getting what your happy with, they should hold up much better.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Lucky! Ironic you should start this post. Over the past month I've removed almost every piece of chrome from my H3 except the Putco mirror covers and Putco vent covers. I've had a different experience though.

I had the chrome hood cover with the handles that survived over a year in harsh weather with no problems. Also, the vent covers can be polished up to almost new condition.

The mirror covers, however, seem to take quite a beating from the bugs and dirt off the highway, and I too haven't really been able to get that stuff off too well. Once you start rubbing any kind of solvent in too much, you put scratches in the chrome. I've tried microfiber, soft cotton cloths, goo-gone, etc. and it seems like some of those spots are there for good. I think the bug carcus's just eat away at the chrome plating after a while.

Were you able to get the mirror covers off? I've tried a few times and I just can't seem to pull them off. This weekend I was going to take a heat gun to them and try to gently pry them off, but I'm afraid I'll ruin the mirrors doing that.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 AM

It's a bad chrome job, I have the OEM chorme package, except for the hood vent, been 2 years now, it's still perfect and we've had two harsh winters

Old 03-19-2008, 08:55 AM

Stainless or chrome ABS is the way to go.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Putco stuff is chrome ABS

Quick Reply: bye bye putco