PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Buying Hummer need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Default Buying Hummer need advice

I am in market for a used hummer... I found the perfect one right down the street for me, it has a 3" lift 2003 and under 60k miles. only problem is that its supercharged.
I personally dont want a supercharged H2,
a. Gas mileage
b. reliability
c. 93 octane!!!

So my question is should I continue to purchase this and maybe take off supercharger and sell it for around 2500? and make some money back?

Is it going to be too difficult to remove? fuel pumps and tuning?

has the damage already been done?

thanks in advance guys

Old 02-08-2010, 03:22 PM

If it's supercharged I would assume the worst (it's had the **** run out of it.) Plus, you don't want a supercharger anyway. There are plenty of non-supercharged H2's on the market. That's where I would look first.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:45 PM

well im not having much luck this one is cheap, lifted!!! and only has 50k miles. tough to find around here..

Old 02-08-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by tjones2787
well im not having much luck this one is cheap, lifted!!! and only has 50k miles. tough to find around here..
It may be cheap because it has problems. You may be biting off more than you can chew.

If you like the truck then buy it! I would have a mechanic check it out first.

Good luck and I hope it all works out!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM

If it is cheap, then you should have a mechanic look at it. From experience when I lifted a vehicle or added more HP to the engine, it all has to be work and work good. The problem that I saw with a lift kit is the cv shafts seemed to get more stress put on them because of the angle, and that might have been a good reason why they went bad sooner than they should have, also I have seen what superchargers and turbochargers can do to an engine if not properly installed, but it's just not that part as well, when you bolt on more power there are other criteria's that should be meant, for instance a fuel pump that flows more fuel, bigger fuel injectors, a chip for the computer, a lower degree thermostat. There are companies out there that do make kits for some engines, but no all kits come with what you need to get the job done right to make your car last a long time. Food for thought

Old 02-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Default good

I've been a mach for about 15 years. The 6.0 l Generation 3 engine is the best built factory engine that I've worked on. The engine is not put to it full potential. If their are no problems that you can hear when its started. Then the chance of it being done wrong is unlikely. Lot of engine come with superchargers and turbochargers from factory. The engine can handle it, it is a matter of whether or not it was enstalled right. The lift is a big thing to look at. It wears hard on trucks if not done right. Doing a lift right is an art and not a easy as putting on parts. If you drive it and you think it ride good. Than that is good, but if you have someone you trust I would have them look at it.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by scobee
I've been a mach for about 15 years. The 6.0 l Generation 3 engine is the best built factory engine that I've worked on. The engine is not put to it full potential. If their are no problems that you can hear when its started. Then the chance of it being done wrong is unlikely. Lot of engine come with superchargers and turbochargers from factory. The engine can handle it, it is a matter of whether or not it was enstalled right. The lift is a big thing to look at. It wears hard on trucks if not done right. Doing a lift right is an art and not a easy as putting on parts. If you drive it and you think it ride good. Than that is good, but if you have someone you trust I would have them look at it.
SCOBEE!!!!

Man your the man I need to talk to! I have been trying and trying to figure out how many miles the 6.0 will run before it needs to be rebuilt.
I noticed you had some good things to say about it.
I am hoping to go 300,000 on mine and hope to get it running synthetic.
What do you feel about the motor??

Old 02-11-2010, 04:25 AM
Default engine

Look, I worked as a mach in CA for a year and the BMW and mercedes call for synthetic oil. I will tell you that we took a lot of them apart and the synthetic oil dose no better than any other. If you change your oil ever 5000 or better. That is all it needs! The thing that I notice is that people that use synthetic oil tend to leave it in to long because it cost so much. Their is enouff expense in doing it ever 5000. So it is up to you. The thing I have found to get the most out of any engine. Is to stop all leaks as soon as you find them! If a leak starts that mean that you do not have the right amount of oil in it. The genration 3 engine makes many different types as you know. Our 6.0 is a LQ4 and not much different that the others. I had a trans am come in with 240,000 on it and ran good. She came in to have leaks stoped and their is a lot to it. She paid around 2500 for all the work done. It was all oil leaks valve cover, oil pan and rear main seal. She drove it for two days and came back for same problem. It looked like the rear main was done wrong (not by me). Come to find out these engines have a cam seal under the rear of the intake. Small o-ring that goes bad. The point of the story is that you need to know more than they do about your engine and it will last as long as you need it to. As she came to get the car I asked her if she want to see what her car could do. Straped her in and she did not stop screming till we got back. Alot of people do not know the trick it is to turn off the traction control (ha ha). I have 67000 on my 05 h2 and I have done alot of big trips. I went from NY to CA and I had 15600 lb on it and mine is still very strong.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by tjones2787
A follow-up question about lifted H2. I have a 2005 H2 with only 23K miles. I have an oversized tired/wheel (265/50/20). I am seriously thinking and is about to take a plunge on getting a Rancho 4inch lift kit. Anything I need to be aware of before spending my hard earned $$$? Any potential future problems when getting your H2 lifted? Would that void the warranty? I purchased an extended GM warranty.

Right now, I am feeling some "scratching" feeling from my steering wheel, which I think is coming from the front bearings. What you folks think? I am not mechanically oriented.

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by scobee
Look, I worked as a mach in CA for a year and the BMW and mercedes call for synthetic oil. I will tell you that we took a lot of them apart and the synthetic oil dose no better than any other. If you change your oil ever 5000 or better. That is all it needs! The thing that I notice is that people that use synthetic oil tend to leave it in to long because it cost so much. Their is enouff expense in doing it ever 5000. So it is up to you. The thing I have found to get the most out of any engine. Is to stop all leaks as soon as you find them! If a leak starts that mean that you do not have the right amount of oil in it. The genration 3 engine makes many different types as you know. Our 6.0 is a LQ4 and not much different that the others. I had a trans am come in with 240,000 on it and ran good. She came in to have leaks stoped and their is a lot to it. She paid around 2500 for all the work done. It was all oil leaks valve cover, oil pan and rear main seal. She drove it for two days and came back for same problem. It looked like the rear main was done wrong (not by me). Come to find out these engines have a cam seal under the rear of the intake. Small o-ring that goes bad. The point of the story is that you need to know more than they do about your engine and it will last as long as you need it to. As she came to get the car I asked her if she want to see what her car could do. Straped her in and she did not stop screming till we got back. Alot of people do not know the trick it is to turn off the traction control (ha ha). I have 67000 on my 05 h2 and I have done alot of big trips. I went from NY to CA and I had 15600 lb on it and mine is still very strong.
Ok SCOBEE. With that being said, whats the magic mileage to where that 6.0 motor will last before it is considered worn out?

Quick Reply: Buying Hummer need advice