PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Buying HI via ebay.... how to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Default Buying HI via ebay.... how to do?

Can someone give me step by step instructions on the safest way to buy via Ebay motors?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Never bought a vehicle through Ebay even though I have been close a few times. First make sure you are dealing with a reputable seller. I would not send more than the minimum deposit and would show up to pick the truck up with a cashiers check. If the truck isn't as advertised negotiate the appropriate price or go back to the airport. If possible have someone in the area check the truck out before you buy. Who are you trying to buy from? A dealer or individual? Do they have a clean title? If so have them send you a copy of it. Check Carfax on it also. While not perfect it helps. Call Lynch or Tustin Hummer with the VIN #. They can tell you all of the warranty work that was done to the truck.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:54 AM

why a cashiers check is this a safe idea if the money has to be traced?

Old 03-21-2010, 06:56 AM

ps. is the deposit safe to get back if you do not like the H1?

Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Generally once you have bought a vehicle on eBay it is considered yours whether you have paid or not. It is like signing a contract. Most people won't release a vehicle unless they have guaranteed funds. ( a wire transfer, cashiers check, etc ) If you showed up and the vehicle is as described you can give the seller a form of payment that will allow you to drive off with the vehicle. If you don't like it then all they have is your deposit and they would have to fight to get the rest. Generally there are H1 owners close by that could check the truck out for you.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

So did you buy it?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:07 AM

Not ready yet just doing my Homework ,

Old 03-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

There are several Long Island H1 owners. I am sure they would help you look at trucks and give guidance.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 PM

I just bought an H1 this week. Im in Iraq so everything had to be done over the internet. I found one on Ebay but my bank wouldnt send the money to a private seller. Understandable. I was extremely worried about getting scammed. I was solicited(spelling) a H1 scam 4 times while trying to find the one for me. So I am in Iraq, me and my family live in North Carolina, and the truck i found was in Washington state. I spoke with the seller and this is what we did to assure security for both parties. They took it to a car dealership and put it on consignment, we split the consignment fee and the dealership did everything else, arranged the shipping for me that i paid for obviously. It wasnt too awefully bad, about what i was expecting for a 3000 mile shipment, $1465. The problem was finding a decent price(below $1800, some as high as $2300) because the vehicle is so big and heavy, they rated it at 8,000 lbs. So, I would say that this is the safest way to not get scammed. Ebay has that Vechile Protection Plan, but can you imagine the butt pain it would be trying to get ebay to fork out your 30-50 grand back? BTW if you get a solicitation to buy a H1 using the BUYERS protection plan, notice the difference(buyers and vehicle), beware that it is a scam because the buyers protection plan doesnt apply to vehicles and they list their item as something besides a car but advertise it as a car. then when you dont get your great deal, ie. an 2001 H1 22,000 miles for $31,000, ebay wont cover it. I know all this cause i almost had it happen to me. I looked around for almost 8 months trying to find the deal for me.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Great post Joe. You can't be too careful. Always post up and see if anyone is close by that can look at the truck for you. I have looked at several trucks here in CA for people on the East Coast.

Quick Reply: Buying HI via ebay.... how to do?