PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Buy your Nuclear Missile Silo home today! FREE INSTALLATION (Get it?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default Buy your Nuclear Missile Silo home today! FREE INSTALLATION (Get it?)

I started having a facination with abandoned nuclear missile silos when my wife and I took a cross-country road trip through the northern and western part of the country in the fall of '05. We went off the main highways quite often and saw silo after silo buried in the sand. Anyway, I thought I'd share all of this info. They actually sell silo homes that have been gutted and recontructed into huge underground homes. Here are some links:

http://www.missilebases.com/

http://www.silohome.com/

And here is an interesting tour of an underground silo that unfortunately they weren't supposed to be in:

http://triggur.org/silo/

Here is a site dedicated to showing people where the abandoned sites are. I just find this stuff interesting. They aren't active anymore, but still a very unique part of the cold war:

http://www.siloworld.com/

Anyway, for anybody that is interested in this stuff, check it out. My wife and I actually saw an episode of some extreme home show on the travel channel that showed a family that lives in one of these. They are really cool and completely self-contained. Unfortunately, my wife actually wants us to buy one as a summer home. I told her, good luck finding that million laying around for us to purchase it

Old 02-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Default RE: Buy your Nuclear Missile Silo home today! FREE INSTALLATION (Get it?)

Those are really cool! I don't think I could live in one of those though, I'd get claustrophobic without being able to see the sun. I love that show extreme homes, watch it all the time - never seen one of these ...

Old 02-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Default RE: Buy your Nuclear Missile Silo home today! FREE INSTALLATION (Get it?)

It's different and interesting.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:00 PM

I'd feel like I'm living in an episode of LOST?!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:05 PM

If I had the money that would suit me beautifully ... LOL! Though I'd be hard pressed to sell the idea to the wife hehehehe ...

Old 02-14-2007, 05:09 PM

very..[sm=interesting.gif]..but not for me..I'm with Paige..I'd get Claustrophic.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: ZYNE

If I had the money that would suit me beautifully ... LOL! Though I'd be hard pressed to sell the idea to the wife hehehehe ...
Tell me about it. I, SO BADLY, want to live in a Loft downtown, but the wife is HAPPY in the Suburbs!!![:@]

We're an old city and our downtown is reminiscent of downtown Chicago, with TONS of turn of the century architecure. Hundreds of our old buildings downtown have been retrofited into BEAUTIFUL Lofts!!! I WANT ONE, But NOOOOO!!!![:@][:@]

Old 02-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

I feel you there buddy. I was THIS close to buying a condo on Sheridan road overlooking the lake, just north of the city, when I decided to go find a woman to marry. Go figure! Now I have farms to the north, farms to the west, and farms to the south, FARMS FARMS FARMS.

[sm=alcoholic.gif][sm=shootshoot.gif][sm=smiley35.gif]

Old 02-14-2007, 05:34 PM

Doode, when the hell did you move to Ohio!?! LOL!!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: HummBob

ORIGINAL: ZYNE

Tell me about it. I, SO BADLY, want to live in a Loft downtown, but the wife is HAPPY in the Suburbs!!![:@]

We're an old city and our downtown is reminiscent of downtown Chicago, with TONS of turn of the century architecure. Hundreds of our old buildings downtown have been retrofited into BEAUTIFUL Lofts!!! I WANT ONE, But NOOOOO!!!![:@][:@]
Screw that .. I just see large quantities of underground square footage ... there's a reason why I finished 1,100 sq feet of my basement yanno ... I prefer that space over the rest of the house .. It's never too bright down there .. it's always nice and quiet .. privacy/no insight ... man .. gimme that damn nuke hole .. I'm buying it .. anyone got a clue on $$ and what bank I stand the biggest chance of actually getting away from without bullet holes in me!? LOL!

Quick Reply: Buy your Nuclear Missile Silo home today! FREE INSTALLATION (Get it?)