PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Busted Anti lock sensor cable wire - seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Default Busted Anti lock sensor cable wire - seeking advice

Hey folks,

Was on the trails today, only been out a few times but went through some pretty swampy areas, rocky terrain, thick mud on parts of the trails. Anywho, as we were heading out, on the second to last big muddy/swampy area I went through I saw my DIC showing the ABS failed, TRaction failed, Stabilitrac failed messages. Kept going and got out ok, figured a restart of the car would take care of it but no dice, so I looked at the sensors and sure enough the front passenger wire was busted.

It seems the wire just snapped apart, as if it was being pulled completely taunt. Also found the metal bracket that holds that wire just above the control arm was opened too wide for the rubber wire protector to snap back in. I just crimped it down a hair tighter and that's fine now. But as for the wire, it did not pull out from where it mounts just inside the wheel well, nor where the other end enters the backside of the wheel.

There were no branches or anything of that nature while going through these low messy points on the trails but there where rocks, and large enough where there was definitely points where that wheel was extended at near max both up and down. So a few questions about what my options are:

- Is this a warranty covered repair? (assuming wheel/suspension was at max travel which caused this to occur, I'd think if they allow the wheel to travel that far then the cable should be long enough to go with the travel of the wheel) I did not bottom out on any rocks or anything like that, hosed it all out underneath and no damage to anything anywhere, just the wire snapped.

- I can see the rubber wire casing has 2 wires inside of it, should I just splice these back together and go with it?

- Should i buy a new cable and call it a day? If yes, any ideas on if I need to also then replace the sensors or if the cable can be replaced independently?

Anyone else have this problem?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 AM

Do you have any warranty left?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 AM

Yeah, I have 23k on it and got in Dec 2007. So only have had for 16 months.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 AM

What is your error code say exactly? I think Im in the same boat as you...
-Dan

Old 04-27-2009, 07:51 AM

Haven't looked today, but yesterday I believe it was cycling through 4 different messages.
- ABS Failed
- Traction Control System Failed
- Stabilitrac Failed
- Service 4WD

And the abs icon and Stabilitrac control icon are both lit up when I start the car.

Attached pix i took yesterday of where breakage happened.

Attached Thumbnails Busted Anti lock sensor cable wire - seeking advice-abs1.jpg   Busted Anti lock sensor cable wire - seeking advice-abs2.jpg  
Old 04-27-2009, 02:02 PM

I'd go the warranty route first, worst they can say is no

Old 04-27-2009, 02:36 PM

Just made appt for tomorrow 8am at dealer. The service guy said he could have it as a warranty repair. I guess we'll see come tomorrow. I told him how i think it happened, given we weren't going through anything it could have gotten caught on, like branches, etc..