PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Burnt antifreeze coolant smell?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Default Burnt antifreeze coolant smell?!?

Just bought my 2006 H3 3 weeks ago. This weekend when to check fluids in the truck and poured some water into both the windshield wiper plastic container and the plastic container right next to it (assumed its the coolant overflow container). Ever since then car does not overheat but when it run warm you can deff smell a burnt coolant smell when you stop and get out of the truck. Should I be concerned? Was the plastic container next to the windshield wiper fluid container the correct container to fell up with water? Thanks for all help on this just don't want to blow up my truck just 3 weeks into ownership I luv my H3 ..

Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 AM

Just a bit more info there is NO leaking fluid on the ground or in the car that I can see as well.. Thanks again..

Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Banned

yes,both take water or other proper juice.
i never smelled burned coolant? and the 2 h3 ive had never needed a drop of coolant added so if it goes down,u got trouble.

check tranny

Old 03-07-2012, 04:15 PM

If you smell coolant there is likely a hairline fracture in the radiator. If it is small enough it may just be a fine mist that sprays out when the engine is hot and it will not create large puddles but will likely get worse over time. Keep an eye on levels if they are dropping this is the most likely problem and will require replacement of the radiator.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pauldy
If you smell coolant there is likely a hairline fracture in the radiator. If it is small enough it may just be a fine mist that sprays out when the engine is hot and it will not create large puddles but will likely get worse over time. Keep an eye on levels if they are dropping this is the most likely problem and will require replacement of the radiator.
i agree. look on top of the radiator to the right of the cap most likely. that's where the crack was in mine and what seems like half of the forum members. i believe there is some foam on top that may be hiding the crack. It doesn't leak noticeably and my temperature gauge never went above halfway. i didn't even know anything was wrong until i smelled that burnt coolant smell. My radiator went out at 51k, barely out of warranty and it took out the watepump as well. Luckily my local hummer dealer got gm to pay half. Good luck, and enjoy the new ride.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:21 AM

Hopefully you didn't fill both up adn looked at the side of the container to see there is a Cold level and Hot level. If you filled it, it will surely overflow.

That being said, check for cracks like those gents suggested.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:10 PM

Took it to my local ASE shop and there is a deff leak in radiator after pressure testing. Good thing I bought an extended warranty thru Costco right after I bought the car it only has 52+k on the clock. What a defective POS radiator these H3 have that being said I still luv the hell out of my H3...

Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 PM

So the extended warranty I bought turned out pretty good only 152.00 out of pocket for genuine GM OEM parts. I guess I'm going to keep it warranty that is...