PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

BURNING SMELL FROM MY ENGINE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: BURNING SMELL FROM MY ENGINE?

Hey Steve: I have that smell year round whether it be 100 degrees or 0, but it mostly happens when I do alot of extreme turning, like in parking garages and so forth, to the theory of the traction control kicking on in the turns seems to be a the best theory in my book.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:20 PM

I'm getting a burning smell from the left rear. And of course my suckie dealer never hears, smells, orsee's anything.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:47 PM

The reason I asked about the salt was it has only became an issue since the cold weather hit. I have smelled it in H2,H3 and a new Cadillac DTS. It smells like rubber mostly in the rear wheel well areas. Thanks for the information so far. Steve

Old 02-01-2007, 08:25 PM

My truck has the burning smell too, but I can only smell it outside, and I have only noticed it after spinning the tires (thus I believe it to be something with the traction control, brakes, etc.). It's kinda like the smell of a new motor fired for the first time, when the header paint bakes off, and the motor paint starts to melt, etc. I miss that smell, guess I need to build another Hot Rod!

Old 02-01-2007, 08:48 PM

inked started the thread, and i don't think they have to melt ice off the roads in HI, so i'd say that one's out, at least in his case. the only funny smells i ever get in the bus are those that i generate, or the smell of mud baking into clay on the exhaust pipes.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:22 PM

I was gonna say...

Old 02-06-2007, 12:02 AM

So I have been driving my truck now for about 3 weeks with this burning rubber smell and I have noticed I only get the smell when the roads are wet and it's for sure coming from the front end. You smell it through the vents when the heat or defrosters are on, but it's not noticeable when actually driving, it's when you come to a stop, then smell really filters into the truck. Once I got to work I smelled around the front wheel well and yep there was the smell. Not sure what it is, butI am due for an oil change and tire rotation in the next couple weeks so I will have the dealer check into this and let you guys know if they find anything out.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: jen813

So I have been driving my truck now for about 3 weeks with this burning rubber smell and I have noticed I only get the smell when the roads are wet and it's for sure coming from the front end. You smell it through the vents when the heat or defrosters are on, but it's not noticeable when actually driving, it's when you come to a stop, then smell really filters into the truck. Once I got to work I smelled around the front wheel well and yep there was the smell. Not sure what it is, butI am due for an oil change and tire rotation in the next couple weeks so I will have the dealer check into this and let you guys know if they find anything out.
I had the exact same problem on my 1998 Monte Carlo when I went on a trip to Glacier National Park. I stopped in Regina, SK on the way back for an oil change, and reported the smell. They immediately thought of checking the brakes, and sure enough, there was a rag/piece of cloth caught in the breakes that wasn't spotted unless the wheel was off. It was constantly rubbing and "burning"/melting, causing a burning rubber/plastic smell to permeate through the vents. Problem fixed for me. Check that out, I would say.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I think I figured it out. I intentionally was making the H3 slip around in the snow and ice this morning on the turns in my area, and I could feel the traction control distributing power to the different wheels. When I stopped in front of my friends house, there was the smell but stronger then I had ever smelled it. It's definintely something with the traction control. Whether it's the breaks or the differential who knows, but I would bet anything it's the brakes as Dennis suggested. I will test it again later but at least now we know a little that it is a traction control issue.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:05 PM

I have the same smell when accelerating big time. It smells very strong, not really like burned, more like a chemical. It has nothing to do when wet/raining, not related to brakes as it smells without using them. I bought the H3 new and have now more then 10.000 miles and still the same as from the beginning. I live in Costa Rica, Central America. It is hot here so AC is on all the time. Does anybody has the same smell ? What could it be ? The best explanation to me so far was the one who changed the exhaust part.

Quick Reply: BURNING SMELL FROM MY ENGINE?