PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

BURNING SMELL FROM MY ENGINE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Default RE: BURNING SMELL FROM MY ENGINE?

Hmm, thats wierd...Since you have A/C on while this stink comes in..are you also on re-circulate too?..this will help you decide if the smell is from the inside or the outside

Old 01-06-2007, 12:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Hmm, thats wierd...Since you have A/C on while this stink comes in..are you also on re-circulate too?..this will help you decide if the smell is from the inside or the outside
that's a thought right there. did you step in a pile of local critter manure? maybe as you go faster, your fan spins faster and wafts the aroma of partially digested vegetation and other minute bacterial microbes around the cabin of the truck. i know Maui had some massive cow pies at one of our sites above Kihei, i thought it was quicksand and i'd never hit solid terra firma . . . .

Old 01-06-2007, 12:55 AM

It other words..do you have chit on your shoes?...

But it also could be a fungus amongus growing in your evaporator plenum

Old 01-06-2007, 12:57 AM

Oh..Maybe it's your fan speed resistor block and it gets hot as hell...Do the H3's have these even for fan speed control?

Old 01-06-2007, 01:56 AM

Well it's not stink like $#!t - more synthetic, plastic...It can't be heat either because I drive my truck all day and no smell, it's only when I'm climbing hills or accelerate over 50.

The run we had up peacock flats was a good5 hours of driving all up steep hills, rough terrainand no smell. It wasn't until I tried climbing a hill to test the flex on the H3 I noticed the smell, of course I was revving the engine to get my H3 up there. Normal driving - no smell, accelerating over 50 - smell - strong burning smell but no smoke. Weird, I know.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:01 AM

ORIGINAL: blackstangs281

If you fly me over there for a week or two, I'll be glad to look at it for ya.
One day bro! LOL

A buddy of mine Mike isworking with the State on getting a 4x4 obstacle course for all 4x4 vehicles built near the industrial areas of Honolulu. Once that's built we'll ship all your asses down here and we'll wheel and surf all day !!!

Old 01-26-2007, 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: inked

Hey HF,

So I brought my H3 into the shop on Wednesday and left it there for6 freakin' hours to find out what the heck was this burning smell I had coming from my engine.

It all started when we did this run up this place called Peacock Flats, the funny thing was we smelled it coming down from the run. Now whenever I accelerate over 50 or climb hills I get this synthetic burnig smell. Doesn't smell like gas or oil burning but more like plastic or something.

A wheeling buddie of mine who works as a tech at the dealership couldn't find a thing wrong with it.He recomended I change my gas to a higher octane and I did that today but I am still getting that burning smell.

Any of you have an idea on what's causing this??

I'm aching to get this thing dirty again and have been only puddle chasin' around the area where I live to get my 'dirty fix' because until I can find exactly what's causing this burning smell I really don't want to take it out on the trails yet - thanks!

I have had the same issue for about two weeks now. I cannot figure out what it is. I have to say it doesn't smell like burning plastic though. I work for a plastics company and I know the smell of burning plastic. I am getting more of a burning rubber smell. When I have my heat/defrost on is when its' really noticeable and if I am driving for awhile with no stopping and finally come to a stop it's even worse. Did you ever find out what the issue was with your wife's friends H3?

Old 01-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Hey dude/dudettes. I have had that smell every day and 29.5k miles I have had the H3. It's very mild, but it's there, always. My theory is that it's the differential or brakes burning. It smells like it's coming from the brakes. It could be the material in the brake pads that is heating up and smelling. I told my dealer about it and they said they all smell like that and it's just a smell when the parts heat up. Now, I don't smell it coming through the vents ever, so you have a more severe case of the smellies.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:41 AM

If you smell rotten eggs I know what that is...when you figure it out keep us posted just incase we start smelling too.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:04 AM

Hey..the past couple of days I've had that burning rubber smell too. I thought I was crazy...well at least my wife thought I was, when I would get out and sniff around the truck after driving it.

Quick Reply: BURNING SMELL FROM MY ENGINE?