PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Bumpstop instillation

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Default Bumpstop instillation

I have a 06 h3 and looking to level put shocks and bumpstops. I've read the threads how to install all exept the bumpstops. Any suggestions on a place to buy em to would be cool, thanks for the help guys!!

Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 PM

Where to buy them:
http://www.trailduty.com/product_inf...roducts_id=765

How to install them: [copied from another forum]
  1. Turn the steering wheel to gain easy access to the bump stop.
  2. Using a large flat screwdriver, pry the old bump stop out. It is held in place with three indentations in the mount, no screws or fasteners.
  3. Lube the new bump stop with dishwashing soap. You do not want to use grease or oil as you want to be able to wash out the lubricant after installation - this is not something you want permanently lubricated.
  4. Using the same flat bladed screwdriver (perhaps wrapped in a towel to reduce the sharp edges) or a similar but dull edged item, push the bump stop into place. It will take a bit of force and determination but don't worry, I don't think you'll hurt the bump stops feelings by pushing hard on it.
  5. Save your old bump stops.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:14 PM

Your help is much appreciated!! I'll post some pics once I get it done!!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:39 AM

what is a bump stop for?

Is it required to change them out when we level our H3s or get new shocks?

Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM

I found that its much easier to remove the old bump stops by using a ratcheting tie down strap.

wrap the strap around the bump stop at one end and around the cross member at the other end. Tighten the strap and bump stop comes right out. Way easier than using a screw driver.

This only works with ratcheting straps... unless your just really strong... in which case you can use a rope or something.

BTW, I put +1/2" bump stops in my H3 and the ride was TERRIBLE. I have it leveled out to 23-3/8 inches and the extended bumps were sitting on lower control arm, so it had no give. I put the old ones back and it rides way better.... And the billstein shocks are great. The stock shocks will top out (become fully extended too early) if the road drops when you are at speed... it doesn't feel good and probably bad for the shocks. The bilsteins are longer and the topping out stops with them (and they look really good).

Last edited by supsam86; 04-21-2010 at 12:48 PM.