PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

built me a brush guard today

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Default RE: built me a brush guard today

i am going to make a second attempt at that grill guard,i have some ideas on how to make it flow better,hopefully momma will like this one

Old 10-07-2007, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: hilljob26
i am going to make a second attempt at that grill guard,i have some ideas on how to make it flow better,hopefully momma will like this one
I have a cautionary tale for you as well Mike.....My SMA guard was showing my chrome grill
a little bit of lovin' on this last outing. Never happened on my '06, but then again....I never put
the '06 through the stuff I did this '07 a few weeks ago. There was so much flex(?) going
on, that the guard was actually making enough contact with the grill to rub chrome off. I have
roughly 3/4 clearance between the top of the grill and the bottom of the top bar on the guard.

Just something for you to consider as you are building.

If you need some pics or measurements, let me know so I can go get 'em this evening. Truck is
going into the paint shop tomorrow for who knows how long....

Can't wait to see your next attempt....

Old 10-07-2007, 05:52 PM

gunner,i could use as many pics as you can snap of it,try putting a tape measure by it so i can get an idea of wehat it will take,i hope you like the rack so far

Old 10-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Raffi that's what we all said, and then we got off in the dirt, sand, rocks, mud... and the rest is history. Try it...you'll like it. Hilljob, I thought the brushguard looked great. Is it a solid brush guard or does it pivot and drop like the H1 guards do. I had a brush guard on my H2 that was fixed and it made cleaning the chrome grill a real bitch.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:47 PM

hehe maybe thats why I have not yet tried in 2 years, probably will not try..... cant afford to replace parts on it every other week

Old 10-08-2007, 04:43 AM

that one was a solid mount,,although to make it pivot is easy.just a couple of pins and cuts and your in business

Old 10-08-2007, 06:44 PM

How hard would it be to make one that folds down like the HUMVEE guards? Granted those things are pretty flimsy and I've never seen one that wasn't bent seven ways to Sunday but the folding idea is good. It would also allow you to clean behind it or remove the grille if needed.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:33 PM

it wouldnt be hard at all.it just takes a little more time,but you basically cut the guard and weld some brackets so when its together,its tight.right now i am trying to finish gunners spare tire rack

Old 10-09-2007, 09:26 AM

All I can say is you do awesome work,I wish I had the tools and talent to fabricate like you do! There's just something cheap about the factory brush guards and I'm not impressed. Maybe if you ever decide to mass produce a few of your home grown ones I'll buy me a Mike Hill original.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:47 PM

i dont like the whole mass produse,you cant put the time and energy to do it right,when you mass produce,its all bout money,now its all about givinh you guys something different

Quick Reply: built me a brush guard today