PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Bug Deflector/Shield

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Default Bug Deflector/Shield

Guys, I just came back from a 600-mile trip. I was a road killer. I was not killing any deer or buffalo but hundreds of bugs! My windshiled and grill were dotted by bug's bodies. It was like I collected all kinds of bug samples during the trip. Every time I pumped gas I should clean the windshield. I knew it was a trade-off of the Hummer's almost vertical front shape. Has anybody installed a bug deflector/shield on your H3? I did google but only got one or two type of deflectors. They are black and I really hate the look of them. The truck with black bug deflector looks like a person with abnormally big eyebows. I purchased my H3 partly because the cool outlook and don't want to ruin it. Do you have any suggestions, like chrome bug deflector? Or, will a grill guard help? Thanks.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:31 AM

I purchased an EGR bug shield awhile back for my 07 H3
This bug shield does help more than you might realize.
Stone hits are another matter all together.
I ended up painting my shield bolder gray, the same color as my truck
It blends in with the vehicle much better and doesn't look so stuck on.
I too, didn't like the way the dark smoke color of the EGR bug shield looked
on my vehicle. I believe that EGR is the only maker of bug shields for these trucks

Attached Thumbnails Bug Deflector/Shield-front-hid-.jpg  

Last edited by wfturner; 09-10-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by wfturner
I purchased an EGR bug shield awhile back for my 07 H3
This bug shield does help more than you might realize.
Stone hits are another matter all together.
I ended up painting my shield bolder gray, the same color as my truck
It blends in with the vehicle much better and doesn't look so stuck on.
I too, didn't like the way the dark smoke color of the EGR bug shield looked
on my vehicle. I believe that EGR is the only maker of bug shields for these trucks
Looks good painted. Nice job!

Old 09-10-2009, 02:10 PM

I too had an EGR bug shield. After multiple trips through the automatic car wash, the blow dryer finally cracked it so I took it off. They should be fine for normal use. It does seem to deflect somewhat the bugs and pebbles. Not great but seemed to help a little. Mine was the smoke color on Victory Red. I think painting it body color would look better on some trucks. Natural color would look okay on Black or Gray.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:33 PM

In the past I had a variety of different bug shields for my various trucks. All these trucks suffered from cracked windshields from what I believe was caused by the bug shield, the very object I purchased to protect my truck. I would see little rocks get deflected from the hood as they flew over the shield and hit the windshield with a mighty force.

I did call the installer that did my clear bra for my wife's car, and he was to do the Hummer, but he has not returned any calls. I like the guy and he is busy, so I will wait a bit longer.

The clear bra doesn't help deflect bugs from the windshield, but the other defectors really had other issues.

A good screen inside the grille should help from packing the radiator with road debris, and the clear bra would protect the hood, but as far as bugs on the windshield goes, we are stuck with having to clean them off as often as every fill up on a long trip as you experienced.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

There is a reason you do not see many bug deflectors anymore. They have been manufacturing vehicles with the front of the hood tucked behind the grill for years.

Bug deflectors came to be when the hood sat on top of the grill and would get battered by road debris. No longer an issue for most modern vehicles.

In the winter, I don't get no bugs on the windshield.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:25 AM

One last comment . . .
I was driving back from southern Oregon to Reno, NV along route 95 in late May of this year.
It had to be a particular time of year when the June bugs or whatever were coming out.
The front of my truck ended up looking like it was wearing a sweater. They hit the front end like I was driving into a sand storm.
When I finally got home there were hundreds if not thousands of the same kind of bug all over the grille, lights,
bumper and windshield. It was a bitch to clean off and I can't believe i didn't take a picture.
Come to think of it, the EGR bug shield was the cleanest part of the whole truck

Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 PM

Is there any effective way to really protect the windshield? I have seen so many articles saying there is no way to protect the Hummer because it is a vertical orientation. They say it is a fact of life that you will need to replace the windshield for over $300. Is this what many of you are experiencing?

Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 PM

You are correct, sir !
$300 sounds very low to me, tho.

Last edited by wfturner; 11-05-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Default Windshield Protective Film

Has anyone used subject? Here is a link explaining how it is installed:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/793138...oning_service/

I also wrote to one company in NY asking how much this would cost for an H3, and if there was a company in northern NJ which does this work.

Is anyone familiar with this solution and if it is cost-effective and actually works?

Quick Reply: Bug Deflector/Shield