PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Brand New to the Hummer Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Default RE: Brand New to the Hummer Forum

I would recommend avoiding the larger wheels unless you are doing it for show. Smaller wheels (17" on the H2, right) will likely yield better mpg (less mass, less rotational mass) better offroad (more cushioning, can air down better, less likely to damage a rim) and simply they are less expensive. Why spend the $ if you don't have a real benefit? (if you like the show/bling look then it is a benefit, of course).

The H2 is great. You are going to suck it up in mpg vs. some other vehicles with the big weight and the full time 4wd. But it is a big, safe vehicle too and very capable.

Like Greenblade said, you will get attention, both positive and negative. When I get the negative for my H3 I simply deflect it or ignore it. It's my choice, I got it for reasons that are important to me and I don't think there's any other vehicle out there that met those needs.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:38 PM

A Chevrolet salesman once told me that the Hummer has the best 4WD system under the General's umbrella. If you get a Tahoe (or something similar) without the Z71 package (AUTOTRAX), you have one drive wheel in the front (lets say left front) and one drive wheel in the back (lets say right rear). That's it, there ain't no more. Now lets say you opt for the Z71 package. In adition to the two drive wheels, you get the automatic locking rear differential that can power up your other remaining rear wheel. This is where it gets fuzzy to me. Is that auto locking rear differential really a limited slip (posi-traction for the older set) or can the rear differential actually be locked whereby each rear wheel turns at the same rate of speed. Regardless, even with the Z71 option, you still have 3WD. The Hummer, with it's brake traction control, can supply torque to any of it's 4 wheels. I do believe this Brake Traction Control is used on Jeeps (in addition to their Electronic Limited Slip Differentials), used on Range Rovers, Toyota Land Cruisers and Lexus 4WD vehicles. If what I just explained is true, then yes, the Hummer is the best the General has to offer.

AS far as being an off-road Cadillac, it certainly seems like it. The General uses Cadillac seats, dash materials, the same 6.2 liter motor and 6 speed transmission. When I test drove the new Hummer, the interior was great. Naturally, the Cadillac is tweaked for comfort and the Hummer for off-road capability, but nonetheless, their DNA is similar. Regarding the damaged half-shafts or tie rods. This does appear to be the weakest link in the HUMMER's suspension. It can be addressed readily, though, through aftermarket modifications. You know people out there are quick to point out each time they see a Hummer fail. I saw a blip on you tube where a Hummer was stopped dead in it's tracks on a Boston street. It appeared to be on ice. Maybe someone will explain to these Hummer bashers that any vehicle on ice is going to get stuck. Let's face it; with brake traction control you still need one wheel with traction to get you rolling. For what it's worth, I see a lot of Jeep bashing also by 4Runner and Pathfinder owners. They're good vehicles but I wouldn't say they have it all over the Jeeps and Hummers. I do hope these foreign companies are grateful to our citizens for supplying them with nice profit. I sometimes wonder if some of these auto companies would even survive if it wasn't for the American consumer. I read somewhere that in the early 90's when our economy was having problems, purchases of Porsche (spelling?) were hit hard. The company almost folded. But when our economy is doing good, we're right there helping the foreign corporations. Maybe that's not a bad thing. Even I, when traveling a lot in my younger days, owned some gas misers. I just don't think I'd do it now.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:51 PM

so r u getting one?

Old 04-18-2008, 04:15 PM

Yep. Just waiting to see what incentives are coming down the pipeline.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:15 PM

Wehave put up an "enter at your own risk sign for newbees".

Old 04-18-2008, 04:18 PM

seriously tho, i have seen many 4x4s in a ditch in wet/bad weather because they could not hold the road as their back end seems to come around and pass up the front end. the full time 4x4 seems to not have that problem unless stupidity comes into play. go with the H2 or the H3 and you won't be disappointed.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Trey124
There is no such thing as a Ultra Marine Hummer Pkg. from Hummer, that's a dealer made up add-on to raise the sticker price. The only pkgs. that Hummer offer are Adv. Pkg. or Lux. Pkg. everything else is to make you pay more.
There is a LMTD Edition H2 by Hummer. I saw it a couple of days ago while building an H2 (shh, don't tell the wifey). Look under H2 and LIMITED EDITION on www.hummer.com

Old 04-18-2008, 11:29 PM

I think around May, another limited edition will be coming out. The Silver Ice Edition. These limited editions are fully loaded which accounts for the higher price tags.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:53 PM

i own (actually my father) and H3 and a land rover (06 LR3 SE)

the land rover is alot nicer...air suspension, 3 sunroofs(only 1 opens), 300hp V8, 4 wheel ifs, and the ride tends to be a little smoother (what you should expect from 4wheel ifs and airbags)
the hummer...is so much more fun to drive, just feels alot better to me and is overall, imo, a better built car.

as far as the 4wd systems on them go, no comparison...hummer hands down

to prove my point, my dad gave me the choice of taking the land rover to college or maybe lease another hummer. i told him (and mean in wholeheartedly) that if he'd get another H3 adv. with the 4 add-ons i want (rockers, underbody, grille, markers) i would never touch the land rover again

Old 04-19-2008, 12:36 AM

I love happy stories

Quick Reply: Brand New to the Hummer Forum