PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Brakes and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:43 PM

and no,nothing is going to give u "twice" the stopping power,my oh my
Where did you get this from drtom? No where on this thread is anyone claiming "twice the stopping power"????? Just FYI that you kill the validity of your own recommendations when half the time your negating other peoples advise.

Draketh has a point with the quality of metal of rotors being a factor but that will be relative to your budget! If your hard core then get the drilled/slotted rotors from Brembo! But if your normal then the China made stuff w/ ceramic pads will give you a good 50k miles of life!!!
ASK any certified mechanic about Ceramic pads they will tell you its well worth the money, minimally you will be thankful with the less brake dust on your rims. Ceramics run cooler and are less abrasive on your rotors!

Old 06-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by HawaiianH3
Where did you get this from drtom? No where on this thread is anyone claiming "twice the stopping power"????? Just FYI that you kill the validity of your own recommendations when half the time your negating other peoples advise.

Draketh has a point with the quality of metal of rotors being a factor but that will be relative to your budget! If your hard core then get the drilled/slotted rotors from Brembo! But if your normal then the China made stuff w/ ceramic pads will give you a good 50k miles of life!!!
ASK any certified mechanic about Ceramic pads they will tell you its well worth the money, minimally you will be thankful with the less brake dust on your rims. Ceramics run cooler and are less abrasive on your rotors!
Before you beat up on drtom, re-read (if you haven't already) 'dafihummer's' post.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:39 PM

Big apologies Drtom!!!! Didnt see that one! Guess I automatically thought he was commenting on my recommendation of ceramic pads!!!

Thanks for the heads up BrokenHalo!!!

Just to stay in context of this thread DOT 5 would have a lower boiling point, thus maintaining its viscosity while under heavy/constant load. It is concerning on whether or not the DOT 5 is too corrosive for our electronic brake system (I will admit this is the first vehicle I ever owned with such a system). Just wondering what your thoughts are drtom's cause I thought this was a great idea! (but dont expect or believe you will get X2 the stopping power)

Old 06-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Banned

!,,yeah,believe it or not, i actually clicked the mouse a coupla times and read a lot about dot5. well,enuf to see it was not something i wanted to experiment with,and certainly not going to have much effect on how many squirrels i kill this year.
when i traded my 07 it i had a box of pads that i returned to a z and bought some clay which i hear will give me twice the shine, but im scared to use it,knowing ill drop it on my sandy gravel driveway!,and grind away my nice red paint job. so i wont be doing a brake job soon, but will prob use those nice glass pads when i do!
loving this global warming,,,99 deg wed,,52 at the moment

Old 06-10-2011, 08:09 AM

DOT3 is used less and less on newer cars...DOT5 is used more and more..as explained before with the oil temperatures going up, DOT5 reacts better and therefore gives a better stopping power...And in my OWN experience, the stopping power is completely changed...touching the brake pedal lightly now puts a big pressure on the pads , without fading in and out like before.....definitely worth it... this is sharing something that happened and no one is forced to believe it or go by it....with all humility

Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 PM

Use factory pads and rotors. Considering their continued performance over a very long life span, they're likely even cheaper per mile than aftermarket. The factory pads also come with nice, new stainless and teflon coated shims.

Unless someone can confirm good, quite, long-term, and traction control system performance with a specific aftermarket pad and rotor combination why mess around?

Old 06-11-2011, 09:55 PM

Very good point NJTEX. Although, ceramic is very tempting...from a "love to modify" standpoint.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Old 06-12-2011, 01:40 PM

Those rotors are way more expensive than factory if you know where to buy. I just don't see a reason to go with anything other than factory rotors on our vehicles, they're cost effective, and most importantly EFFECTIVE.

We don't drive race cars. Take it from a guy with 35" tires, an alpha, and about 400lbs of extra crap in the back when wheeling. I've gone down inclines that made me nervous, and in first gear the factory pads and rotors will stop me dead on that incline. I know when it's time to upgrade your braking system having owned many high performance vehicles. This is not one of those times.

On the same incline I watched three jeeps shake, shudder, and groan their way down the slope as their brake pads and rotors couldn't get enough grip to stop them. If our factory braking system can handle a 5,000lb curb weight vehicle, my 230lb ***, and 400lbs of stereo equipment in the back, I see no reason to upgrade.

My factory brakes laughed at this slope.

Name:  2011-06-04_13-11-17_269.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  157.7 KB

Old 06-13-2011, 12:59 AM

X4 on sticking with the OEM pads and rotors. Proven performance, longevity and designed specifically to handle the weight and performance characteristics of your H3!

Heck, are you sure you even need rotors? You may only need to have them turned.

Quick Reply: Brakes and Rotors