PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Brakes and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Default Brakes and Rotors

I have a 2006 H3 and I'm looking to replace my brakes and rotors. Any ideas on whats the best for the H3?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by JOJ220
I have a 2006 H3 and I'm looking to replace my brakes and rotors. Any ideas on whats the best for the H3?
I'm coming up on this too. GM Parts Direct has the rotors for about $68 each, and I'm planning on probably just going with ceramic auto zone pads for about $40 per set. I'm just going to have my rotors turned though however since the brakes haven't been serviced since new and the rotors should still be okay.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Draketh
I'm coming up on this too. GM Parts Direct has the rotors for about $68 each, and I'm planning on probably just going with ceramic auto zone pads for about $40 per set. I'm just going to have my rotors turned though however since the brakes haven't been serviced since new and the rotors should still be okay.
I've been told to go with a cheaper rotor and good brakes pads. But I'm unsure how true that is.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by JOJ220
I've been told to go with a cheaper rotor and good brakes pads. But I'm unsure how true that is.
I don't see any reason to go with cheap rotors, $58 vs $35 is not worth it to me to go with cheap rotors. The cost saving is most likely in the quality of the metal so you may be more prone to warping and other issues.

Also there is absolutely nothing wrong with Autozone Duralast Gold brake pads, if it makes you feel any better go with wagner thermoquiets or something I guess.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Draketh
I don't see any reason to go with cheap rotors, $58 vs $35 is not worth it to me to go with cheap rotors. The cost saving is most likely in the quality of the metal so you may be more prone to warping and other issues.

Also there is absolutely nothing wrong with Autozone Duralast Gold brake pads, if it makes you feel any better go with wagner thermoquiets or something I guess.
Good point, I agree....

Old 06-08-2011, 02:18 PM

looking to do this job soon myself! Just my personal experience: Have always run "ceramic pads" did it with my 4runner, Accord, and since the first day I got my 05 2500 Ram Diesel. Ceramic pads are the only way to go!!!
a) less dust
b) superior wear
c) run cooler
d) minimal to no damage on the rotor
My truck weighs over 7k lbs and I tow with it all the time and after 60k miles the rotors were good enough to be used again. The machine shop couldn't believe it. Just my two cents!

Old 06-09-2011, 04:14 AM

OEM pads and rotors do the job well.
After my own experience, change your brake oil completely even emtying the lines
from DOT3 to DOT5....gives you twice the stopping power with no fading after
the oil heats up...

Old 06-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Banned

it sounds like people are making stuff up again. its ez to find dot3/5 comps and info from people who sound like they know what the're talking about.
i wont be dumping in dot 5 any time soon.
and no,nothing is going to give u "twice" the stopping power,my oh my

Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 AM

I am having my brakes done now. I would do them but as I am half way around the world from it, my father is doing them for me. My suggestion is check the rotors if they are fine leave them alone, then run down to the parts store and buy pads and put them on. I have 90k on my 06 and have not had a single problem with brakes.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:37 AM

You don't really want cheap pads on a 3 ton vehicle. Takes long enough to stop as it is. I like the factory stuff, they don't squeak and they stop.

Quick Reply: Brakes and Rotors