PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Brakes already??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Default RE: Brakes already??

OK Hummernewby here so don't laugh, is it better to downshift (automatic) when slowing down in traffic than using the brakes all the time? I can feel a definite difference between my H3 and the Explorer I had but I never gave it a thought to downshift to save on the brakes. (read this a few reponses back)

Second question where I park at work its on a slight incline so I apply the parking brake.
Is it better to park on a flat surface? I'm still learning and enjoy all the posts.

[sm=smiley9.gif]

Old 05-25-2007, 08:38 PM

So I took my truck in today to have them look at the brakes. They told me nothing is worng with them. They said they felt a slight pulsation at 75 miles, but that was it. They said my padsand the rotors were fine. So I said well since I have one shop telling me they are warped (yet they told me to call the dealership on the issue instead of just trying to take my money) and you tell me nothing is wrong, I will be taking it to another shop amd see what they say. Well I got the same answer as I did the first time. The rotors are warped and the third place to look at them said the same thing as the first, the back are worse than the front. So I call my dealer back told them what the last shop said. The answer I got was if it bothers you that bad, we can resurface them and put new brake pads on, but it will cost you $500. I said BS I am not paying for anything. They stood their ground and said GM doesn't allow them to do anything with the brakes that they don't auhtorize. Fine....what about doing it as a courtesy from the dealership? Nope. So I called the first guy I originally had look at it and told him what they said and he just laughed at their response. As soon as I told him what they wanted to charge, he was like they are crazy. So next week I am taking my H3 over to him and he is charging me $10 to resurface each rotor. Needless to say when I get that little survey in the mail from the dealership, they are NOT getting a satisfied response from me. If I am such a great loyal customer like they kept telling me, they should have taken care of the issue and been done with it.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:20 PM

Jen..I 100% agree..screw em!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:29 PM

It is always safest to park on a flat-level surface, but that isn't always reality. If you must park on an incline, set the parking brake first, then shift into park. That way you don't let the weight of the vehicle rest on the little pin in the transmission that keeps it from turning when it isn't supposed to. This pin is relatively strong, but really isn't designed to hold all of the weight of the vehicle.

As far as down shifting your automatic, they can handle that and it wont hurt anything as long as you don't over-rev the engine when you down shift. You will suffer in fuel economy thoughbecause everytime the transmission shifts and your rpm jump up you are burning more fuel. WhenI have done this, I have noticed a 1-2 MPG drop.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:35 PM

Good advise Linus..[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-26-2007, 01:54 AM

ORIGINAL: jen813

So I took my truck in today to have them look at the brakes. They told me nothing is worng with them. They said they felt a slight pulsation at 75 miles, but that was it. They said my padsand the rotors were fine. So I said well since I have one shop telling me they are warped (yet they told me to call the dealership on the issue instead of just trying to take my money) and you tell me nothing is wrong, I will be taking it to another shop amd see what they say. Well I got the same answer as I did the first time. The rotors are warped and the third place to look at them said the same thing as the first, the back are worse than the front. So I call my dealer back told them what the last shop said. The answer I got was if it bothers you that bad, we can resurface them and put new brake pads on, but it will cost you $500. I said BS I am not paying for anything. They stood their ground and said GM doesn't allow them to do anything with the brakes that they don't auhtorize. Fine....what about doing it as a courtesy from the dealership? Nope. So I called the first guy I originally had look at it and told him what they said and he just laughed at their response. As soon as I told him what they wanted to charge, he was like they are crazy. So next week I am taking my H3 over to him and he is charging me $10 to resurface each rotor. Needless to say when I get that little survey in the mail from the dealership, they are NOT getting a satisfied response from me. If I am such a great loyal customer like they kept telling me, they should have taken care of the issue and been done with it.
better ask them about the labor price
i also charge 10 bucks to turn rotors
but its an hr labor toR&R (remove and replace)the tiresand calipers oneach end (front and back)
so its 2 hrs labor + the 10 bucks per rotor
i just say that so u wont be shocked when the price is alot higher than the 40 bucks to turn the 4 rotors
we charge 65 per hr labor andaround here (memphis, tn.) is the cheapest around so thats 170 bucks total + tax
and if their labor rate is higherit will be more

its best to ask on the front end than to be shocked on the back end

Old 05-26-2007, 03:08 AM

ORIGINAL: kild1

but its an hr labor toR&R (remove and replace)the tiresand calipers oneach end (front and back)
i just say that so u wont be shocked when the price is alot higher than the 40 bucks to turn the 4 rotors
we charge 65 per hr labor andaround here (memphis, tn.) is the cheapest around so thats 170 bucks total + tax

AHAH!!!! There's ALWAYS a "CATCH"!!

Good Call Mr. ROTM!!!

Old 05-27-2007, 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: HummBob

ORIGINAL: kild1

AHAH!!!! There's ALWAYS a "CATCH"!!

Good Call Mr. ROTM!!!
yep most of the time there is one
Mr. ROTM of APRIL

Old 05-27-2007, 12:07 AM

You guys wanna go ahead and just get a room now?...

Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 AM

i have 52000 miles on my 06 H3 still good with brakes.

Quick Reply: Brakes already??