PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Brake Pad Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Default Brake Pad Warranty

Hi Guys, first post and don't laugh at my question. I'm hoping someone hadthe same problem I have.

I have a 2009 H3T Alpha with 35,000 miles. Peculiar thing just happened. Theright rear brake starts making grinding noises. I’ve not heard the pad wearindicators sing yet so I didn’t think the brakes were gone at 35K. I thought there might be a pebble in the pador something to that effect. So I do a few backup braking maneuvers, to noeffect. Upon closer inspection through the wheel spokes, the right rear rotoris grinding through with the outer brake pad on the backing plate (no padmaterial left). The left rear brake looks okay.

I buy all the parts this past week to redo the brakes thinking they've beenused up. I pull the wheels and inspect the right rear closer. So the outer pad(non-piston side) is completely gone. The inner right rear pad (piston side) isabout 2/3rds used up. I check the left rear brake and the pads are about evenand at 1/3rd left. So the outer right rear pad apparently just disintegrated.

So do you think GM will warranty it?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 AM

They will not warranty the pad (which you prob already know) because it is considered a "wear item".

I would however have them take a look at the brake caliper on the right side to see if the piston is "wonky" or the slide pins are bad. That IS covered under your 4 year/50,000 mile Bumper2Bumper. Depending on your In Service Date you may want to get it in soon.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
They will not warranty the pad (which you prob already know) because it is considered a "wear item".

I would however have them take a look at the brake caliper on the right side to see if the piston is "wonky" or the slide pins are bad. That IS covered under your 4 year/50,000 mile Bumper2Bumper. Depending on your In Service Date you may want to get it in soon.
Thanks. I called a service advisor on Monday to see what the deal was. He blew me off and said he'd check and call back. I didn't have a chance to follow up today, but will tomorrow. I expect just to end up relining the brakes. I'll clean everything up, lube the pins well and hope it's not an issue. We'll see.