PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Bouncy Hummer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Default re:

Hey Desert Dan,

I took a peek at the tires all around to spot a possible under-inflation but yeah, I agree it would be kind of hard to visually see over-inflation unless you have some special glasses!

Something I noticed while looking around - seems that the drivers side back shock has seen some damage. The top part of the shock is all crinkled up and there is "what looks like" fluid that came out that has left a rusted trail down the shock.

Would over inflation cause the vehicle to bounce to a point that the back end shifts while taking a curve at 60kms on dry pavement? It really feels unsafe?

Cheers,
B.

Originally Posted by Desert Dan
How do you measure the air pressure visually?
Underinflation yes but overinflation would be hard to spoty visually.

Overinflation could be causingyour bumpy/ bouncy ride.

Try35 psiand see if that makes a difference.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Default status..

So I got the wiper fixed and the garage techs determined that my front drivers side shock was defective. They ordered the replacement from Michigan which means I've been bouncing around the city since last Friday. Hopefully that will fix the situation!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:28 PM

Update:
Well, the Hummer dealer changed the front drivers site shock under warranty and I paid to get the back drivers shock replaced as I suspected it was bad and I wanted a clear head. Unfortunately, same issue!? I get wheel hop on put holes at med-high speeds. One thing I noticed is that it is not as bad with the weather is colder. Lately, we've been having -2c days and it's been aweful. You know that feeling like your driving an old pick-up truck with a light bed that flapping away while you drive? It can't be normal.. no one would be driving H3's?

I plan to bring my H3 back to the dealer for them to take a better look at it. Could it be ball joints or even bad tire(s)?

Cheers,
B.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 AM

over pressure or bad shocks.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Default re:

Hi Tinked,

well, I had two shocks replaced which didn't seem to do much for the bounce. I also brought down the pressure in all tired from 34psi to 30psi - same issue. Brought the H3 in today and the dealer said they needed to replace a tie rod end (hope this is how you spell that). Going back tomorrow since they had to order it from out of town.

Hopefully the ride will eventually get better. Thank you for the reply!

B.

Originally Posted by TINKED
over pressure or bad shocks.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:23 PM

I am not mechanically inclined, but it seems that you have fixed or adjusted most of the items that would cause a "bouncy" ride. What is your definition of bouncy? And what did you drive before (waht are you comparing the H3 to)?

Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Default so it continues!?

Hi Dkamp,

Thank you for the reply!

I was driving a Honda Element 3 weeks ago before trading in for this H3. The best way I can describe the problem is like having basket ***** for back tires. Every time I hit a pot hole over 50kph, I expect a single hit but I actually the hit plus 4 to 6 bounces.

I actually got the H3 back from the dealer today, they replaced a tie rod end on the front passenger side which unfortunately didn't help any? I think I need to go ride with the garage tech or something?

I'm starting to suspect the tires? I actually lowered the door mirror to watch the back tire while driving. When I hit a pot hole, it looks like the tire is having a seizure. It's rapidly shaking uncontrollably for a few seconds of which all this energy is transferred to the body.
I checked again and I have 30PSI in all tires.. I wonder if I should lower the pressure again or get me some 8 ply BFGoodrich tires?

Cheers,
B.

Originally Posted by dkamp
I am not mechanically inclined, but it seems that you have fixed or adjusted most of the items that would cause a "bouncy" ride. What is your definition of bouncy? And what did you drive before (waht are you comparing the H3 to)?

Old 02-19-2009, 10:31 PM

No, its not the tire pressure. having it that low its just gona hurt your tire..could be the rear leaf springs

Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 AM

I had a freind who drove an Element. He liked it alot. I like the fact that he could remove the seats and put his sport bike in the back(barely). My wife and I looked at one. We thought it would be a practical vehicle for hauling 3 St Bernards around. We just didn't like the fact that the rear windows did not roll down. A lot of thought went into the functionality of the vehicle.

I hope you get your Hummer smoothed out. I really like my H3, almost to the point of obsession.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Default re:

Hey Markpen23 - Isn't 30psi recommended? It's what I understood from the door jam sticker?

B.

Originally Posted by markpen23
No, its not the tire pressure. having it that low its just gona hurt your tire..could be the rear leaf springs

Quick Reply: Bouncy Hummer?