PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Bouncy Front End - Torsion Bar Keys

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Default Bouncy Front End - Torsion Bar Keys

Anyone crank their torsion bars or install a leveling kit and have the front end become bouncy? Is this normal? Are new shocks needed?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:09 PM

Yes, I have extended the torsion bars and added front bilstein cognitos. But because of the fact that I also have the BA bumper combo, the bars are really cranked. Im at 24" and have that bouncy front end syndrome, but its not so bad that Im gonna take everything, or anything off. Try drving my Trans Am with 2" lowering kit and stiffer suspension... that's a major PIA... every bump is a jaw breaker lol... Now I have both ends of the spectrum
-Dan

Old 05-04-2009, 12:27 AM

You need to buy the trail duty 1/2 inch bump stops to fix it.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by c3 rolling
You need to buy the trail duty 1/2 inch bump stops to fix it.
C3 is right you need the longer bump stops.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 AM

Could I be one of those rare cases that nees the 1" bump stops? I already have the 1/2" on there... I'll have an extra pair for sale if so

Old 05-04-2009, 04:15 PM

How difficult are they to install? Do I need the H3 up on a lift? Do I need longer Bolts? etc...

Old 05-04-2009, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by psych0
How difficult are they to install? Do I need the H3 up on a lift? Do I need longer Bolts? etc...
No to both, but its a PIA to do the bump stops w/o atleast a jack or lift. If you can get leverage it def. helps but using a jack should be sufficent too.
-Dan

Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 PM

Jack up the front end... pry out the factory bump stops and put in the new ones?

How should I go about prying out the factory bump stops and how easy do they come out?

What's the easiest way to get the extended bump stops in and how difficult are they to install/get pushed in all the way?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Default Bouncing front end

I just got back from Moab. I have a Rancho 4" lift which repositions the front bump stops and I still have a very bouncy front end. I forgot that the Rancho RS9000 shocks are adjustable, and they were set at 5. I wish I had remembered to change the setting to 9 (max) but I didn't.

After getting back home, a quick test makes me think that it may have helped, but I won't know until my next big trip. If this doesn't work, I'll try gas shocks with remote reservoirs. I'm also about to mount a winch which will increase the weight on the front end. I'll have to crank the torsion bars a bit to compensate.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:06 AM

Installed the new + 1/2" bump stops and just wondering... they hit the A-Arms at an angle... and the closest part is about 1/4" from the A-Arm... is this how it's suppose to be?

I assume the + 1/2" extensions are the best I can do since I'm so close.... + 1" would be too long... let me know!

Quick Reply: Bouncy Front End - Torsion Bar Keys