PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

boulder grey paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Default boulder grey paint

does anybody have a boulder grey paint job on their h3 that does not have modeling in the paint? looks good looking straight on at about 10 feet away but look at it at a angle at 5 feet looks like a lepoard! did not notice this until i drove it home from dealer. went back to dealer to show them and tell them i dont want this h3 they said we can fix it we will send it to our paint shop and paint it. i thought oh great a brand new h3 with a new paint job! did not really want a repainted h3 but thought i will give them a chance maybe it will look nice. wrong paint shop took all the parts off to repaint used the interior as a storage bin ebony leather creases every where in the leather where they put the glass scuffs in the leather from when they pulled out other parts. took me 3 hours to get all the overspray off the custom 20 inch wheels nice, along with all other kinds of little scuffs and scrapes and overspray everywhere not impressed. took it back to see the manger and told him i was not happy he said what can we do now to make you happy. said let us drive this h3 until you get one in with all the same options same color . the dealer finally got one in 3 months later called us down to come get it looked worse than the first one we got. dealer says they must all look like this so you are going to have to pick another color and depends how long it takes to come in we might have to charge you milage is this right ? really like the h3 but fell like i am getting the run around .[:'(]

Old 03-31-2006, 12:58 AM
Default RE: boulder grey paint

ORIGINAL: winston

does anybody have a boulder grey paint job on their h3 that does not have modeling in the paint? looks good looking straight on at about 10 feet away but look at it at a angle at 5 feet looks like a lepoard! did not notice this until i drove it home from dealer. went back to dealer to show them and tell them i dont want this h3 they said we can fix it we will send it to our paint shop and paint it. i thought oh great a brand new h3 with a new paint job! did not really want a repainted h3 but thought i will give them a chance maybe it will look nice. wrong paint shop took all the parts off to repaint used the interior as a storage bin ebony leather creases every where in the leather where they put the glass scuffs in the leather from when they pulled out other parts. took me 3 hours to get all the overspray off the custom 20 inch wheels nice, along with all other kinds of little scuffs and scrapes and overspray everywhere not impressed. took it back to see the manger and told him i was not happy he said what can we do now to make you happy. said let us drive this h3 until you get one in with all the same options same color . the dealer finally got one in 3 months later called us down to come get it looked worse than the first one we got. dealer says they must all look like this so you are going to have to pick another color and depends how long it takes to come in we might have to charge you milage is this right ? really like the h3 but fell like i am getting the run around .[:'(]
I Have Boulder Gray...I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure what you are referring to is called Orange peel texture..It is very common on GM vehicles as the paint is applied at the factory with automated spray booths..There is very Little human interface anymore, such as hand rubbing, etc...On black it really shows up..Kinda looks like very faint dimpling in the paint under the clear coat..On the Boulder Gray, since it is a metallic finish the dimpling or orange peel looks more blotchy as sun refracts off the metallic particals at different angles....But they all have it, just an inherent trademark of GM..Gotta get used to it...I think you caused yourself some extra grief unnecessarily.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:06 AM

I have the bouldler gray too and i must say it is not the best paint job. It is smooth but in bright sunlight you can see where the paint sprayer was going up and down and there is a very slight trigger stripeing(sp?). I am a perfectionist but most people will not notice it. If it was a Rolls I would complain. Silver is a very hard color to apply and especially to touch up. I think it is really impossible to touch up but some may disagree. My Z06 is also silver and the paint job is GM - nothing that should be on a $55,000 car.

Old 03-31-2006, 02:15 PM

why would any one buy boulder gray[8D]
I think i know someone poor guy i think he bought for his cat not to sure[sm=itsok.gif]

Old 03-31-2006, 03:25 PM

ORIGINAL: dilo2001gt

why would any one buy boulder gray[8D]
I think i know someone poor guy i think he bought for his cat not to sure[sm=itsok.gif]
The same guy that is gonna put Chrome Wheel centers on silver alloys....[sm=shades.gif]

Old 03-31-2006, 04:31 PM

THE CHROME DON'T GO WITH THE RIMS BETTER OF GETTING PLASTIC PAINT AND PAINT THE OLD ONES TO MATCH THE RIMS TRUST ME I HAVE BOTH SET OF RIMS

Old 04-01-2006, 12:22 AM

I know what orange peel is, this is not the case. You can wet sand and buff out orange peel, but you can't change how the matelics lay. When they repainted it, it was ten times better than stock. Just messed up putting it back together. I know it is not a rolls but when you spend 40,000 I don't feel I should have to get use to it. When you buy something new you want it to look new not new and repainted. Can't believe GM would let something out the door that looks like that. Going with a non matelic paint job on my next one.

Old 04-01-2006, 02:06 AM

THE CHROME DON'T GO WITH THE RIMS BETTER OF GETTING PLASTIC PAINT AND PAINT THE OLD ONES TO MATCH THE RIMS TRUST ME I HAVE BOTH SET OF RIMS
I think it's gonna look really bitchin...Dude..Silver and chrome will work...Because the whole car is already in that color scheme.[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]

Old 04-01-2006, 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

I think it's gonna look really bitchin...Dude..Silver and chrome will work...Because the whole car is already in that color scheme.[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]
send pic once you put them on

Old 04-01-2006, 10:29 PM

Oh by the way the chrome one are differant they just fit those rims they have a metal ring around them. So when you put them on becarefull use a little screw driver to push in the prong if you don't and just try putting them on you will bend the clips.

Quick Reply: boulder grey paint