PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Both front hub assemblies?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Default Both front hub assemblies?

Folks, looking for some quick advise. First, I THOROUGHLY trust my mechanic and they've taken well care of me for 10+ years. I've restored a car before but the Hummer and newer models have me perplexed.

I just bought my 2009 H3 Alpha about 3 months ago with 60k on the odom. About a week ago if I'd turn to the slightest left past dead center I'd get grinding so I dropped the rig off to be checked. Today I was told that BOTH front hub assemblies were shot. So much so the mechanic was shocked and wanted me to come over and take a look but I was out of town. I guess they had about 3-4 inches wiggle.

I asked him what would cause this and he thought previous owner had probably run this in 4 wheel excessively. Who knows… perhaps on the HW but I know the undercarriage looks VERY clean so I don't think this is a case of true off road. And by nature the H3 is full time 60/40 4 wheel anyway. Perhaps highway usage?? I guess I need a new tie rod (?) as well and an alignment.

They gave me a deal today due to Black Friday if I paid now but repair will be this weekend or Monday. I'm sure they're tracking internal sales or incentives right.

So my questions are does $1700 for this parts and labor sound about right? I'm not questioning whether I'm being taken really but more of if 2x hub assemblies are really this expensive.

My 2nd question is really of what the heck else I could do here as in buying an extended protection plan and making a claim (quickly!) or why the heck would this all break down and come to light 2-3 months after purchase.

I've obviously searched this board but something isn't adding up. Front left bearings, CV joint, front diff, brake dust cover but BOTH??? front hubs?

Old 11-29-2013, 08:52 PM

Double check with your Dealer but I think this may be covered under you 5 year 100K Powertrain Warranty.

Update: From my research it should be covered under your powertrain warranty. From GM Powertrain Warranty Verbiage

DRIVE SYSTEMS

Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.

Last edited by RKSmith163; 11-29-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:50 AM

Thank you RK! I found that as well on google search and called the dealer. They said it would be covered. Here's why I trust my mechanic too so lets see how this unfolds. Mechanic had told me this would NOT be covered and realizes it's their mistake so they're going to "customer sat" the hub assemblies and just charge me the tie rod and alignment. They figured it would be easier since they've already ordered part (from Chevy dealer) and hubs are apart up on lift. I won't know until Monday when district manager approves but I bet this is where it lands. I think I'm OK with this rather than insisting they back out everything and reassemble only to drive over to H3 dealership to wait another week for repair.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:05 AM

call me a skeptic but once your car is dismantled on the lift its a "gotcha!"
started at $1700, now free? smells to me.

btw,since we're in the area!, didn't a guy recently say he was driving without halfshafts and getting better mileage?
looking in the book on the hub issue I see this;

Never place vehicle on the ground with the halfshaft removed
or the halfshaft nut torqued improperly. Otherwise,bearing
seals may become dislodged causing premature wear and/or
damage to the hub and bearing assembly.

Last edited by happythree; 11-30-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:51 PM

I'm a skeptic too by nature but figured I could call amex to deny charges but mechanic just called to let me know they just credited everything back but the alignment. Said 10+ years of being a customer was appreciated. Really strange scenario here as even he said in 20 years he hadn't seen hubs/bearings covered.

Figured I'd buy him and his manager a Jack and case of beer. Worked out well because if it hadn't I would NOT have gone back gain and that in itself was my biggest worry they're just that good to me. Hard to find that these days.

FYI for anyone reading this I was told the replacement hubs had a lifetime guarantee. Doesn't make sense to me as the original should have been lifetime right if that's the case coming from Chevy/GM but that's what I was told and again don't think it was a story or bill of goods. Anyone in ATL or Alpharetta area that needs an honest shop let me know...

Old 11-30-2013, 04:49 PM

My local Chevy dealer will do warranty work on my H3. Recently my radiator developed a leak. My Hummer dealer is 2 hrs. away, too far to drive with a major leak, so I drove 10 minutes to the local Chevy dealer. They did a good job no problems. Good luck.