PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Was bored, so decided to plastidip the wheels balck

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Default Was bored, so decided to plastidip the wheels balck

I had some free time on Labor day so I decided to plastidip the wheels. $6 a can at home depot. It's cheap and simple way to black out your rims, although it is not going to be as durable as a decent paint job or powdercoating. On the plus side you can remove the plastidip at any time and touchups are easy.

Tools used: microfiber cloth, disposable shop towels, wheel cleaning solution, wheel cleaning brush, non abrasive dish cleaning pad, blue painters tape, newspaper. 4 cans of plastidip.

Step 1. Clean wheels really well.
Step 2. Allow to dry fully.
Step 3. Mask off the valve stem and wheel edge. optional (mask behind the spokes if you do not want to paint the inside of the rim).
Step 4. Apply 1 good even coat followed by 3 or more additional coats. Don't worry about coating the entire wheel for each coat. You can touchup the spots on the 3rd and 4th coat.
Tip: Make sure you allow enough time to dry between coats and do not spray it on too heavily or you will have an uneven finish.
Step 5. allow at least 30 minutes for last coat before mounting on vehicle. The entire process took me about 4 hours.

See the pictures below.

Attached Thumbnails Was bored, so decided to plastidip the wheels balck-imag1200.jpg   Was bored, so decided to plastidip the wheels balck-imag1193.jpg   Was bored, so decided to plastidip the wheels balck-imag1195.jpg   Was bored, so decided to plastidip the wheels balck-imag1198.jpg   Was bored, so decided to plastidip the wheels balck-imag1192.jpg  

Old 09-07-2011, 03:27 AM

They look good, How many cans did it take?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 AM

not bad at all

Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 AM

looks nice but i wouls think you should mask off the wheel weights aswell mabey?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:18 AM

Look like they turned out pretty decent. I like the finish.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:29 PM

Thanks,

I used about 3.5 cans of plastidip. I didn't paint the inside of the rims so I ended up using less paint. Normally it would take about 4-5 cans if you include the spare. If the rims start chipping I may try it again with more coats and clear coat on top.

The wheel weights can be uncovered easily by peeling plastidip off of them. I decided to leave them black for now.

Next on the list will be the chrome fuel door, the side air cleaner covers and maybe some of the emblems.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:47 PM

I wonder how this would hold up in the harsh winters of NY?

Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 AM

It's a quick mod, but not durable guys. Easy to fix if it comes off, however it is DESIGNED to be removable... So harsh winters, wheeling of any shaped or form, even a pressure washer... It will peel right off. If you never experience any of those it's a cool mod, I know several people that have used it as a protective barrier over the front of their show cars that are daily driven to prevent blemishes in the paint (front bumper especially) and have been really pleased...

Old 09-08-2011, 11:20 AM

Like Dag said it is not a durable finish. I tried it on a grille and it lasted maybe 3 weeks before peeling. On the plus side at least it came off easy

Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 PM

Wow, 3 weeks? Guess, I will have to wait and see how long it holds up on the wheels. I don't plan to hit the dirt anytime soon so maybe I'll get a little more use out of it before needing a touch-up.

Quick Reply: Was bored, so decided to plastidip the wheels balck