PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

body mount bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Leo
Default body mount bushings

Ijust got back the hummer yesterday from the dealer. Iwas hearing alot of noises under the truck when breaking and going over bumps.They said the body mont bushings {which they lubed months ago} now need to be replaced. They have 3 in stock, need to order 1. ON a 2010 h3 wtf.Another fine example of american built crap!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Leo
Ijust got back the hummer yesterday from the dealer. Iwas hearing alot of noises under the truck when breaking and going over bumps.They said the body mont bushings {which they lubed months ago} now need to be replaced. They have 3 in stock, need to order 1. ON a 2010 h3 wtf.Another fine example of american built crap!
Or you could have sprayed white lithium (if you don't off road) or spray silicon (if you use the H3 as intended) to silence the creaks. Mount bushings on every make and model will start to make noises when they get dirty...it's called preventive maintenance to avoid this from happening

Old 05-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Leo
Default bushings

Hi Airborne 227,The dealer also said that the body bushings are rotted out and cracked.I told him i have worked with bushings alot over the last 20 yrs and i doubt they are rotted out. There not old enough to rot out yet!I TOLD HIM the weight rating of the bushings has been exceeded and they are being crushed, not dryrotting.{ wrong bushings}which explains the heavyduty replacement bushings. He agreed.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Banned

i think theres 5 or 6 on each side.
kinda hard to figure them going bad on a car less than 100 years old though.
i helped some guys put the body back on a 58 chevy last year and those stock ones were still ok

Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Leo
Hi Airborne 227,The dealer also said that the body bushings are rotted out and cracked.I told him i have worked with bushings alot over the last 20 yrs and i doubt they are rotted out. There not old enough to rot out yet!I TOLD HIM the weight rating of the bushings has been exceeded and they are being crushed, not dryrotting.{ wrong bushings}which explains the heavyduty replacement bushings. He agreed.
I have never heard on this, or other hummer forums about the weight rating of bushings being exceeded, and I know people who have added A LOT of weight to their rigs. How are you sure that it is the body mount bushings? The springs can get kind of noisy too. I have also heard of body mounts that had been incorrectly welded to the frame.

Mine collected all kinds of crud from the winter and would creak on braking, turns, and uneven surfaces. Silicone on the bushings, and grease on the springs cured it.

Hopefully the new bushings will get it quiet for you...if not, turn up the stereo!

Old 05-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by airborne227
I have never heard on this, or other hummer forums about the weight rating of bushings being exceeded, and I know people who have added A LOT of weight to their rigs. How are you sure that it is the body mount bushings? The springs can get kind of noisy too. I have also heard of body mounts that had been incorrectly welded to the frame.

Mine collected all kinds of crud from the winter and would creak on braking, turns, and uneven surfaces. Silicone on the bushings, and grease on the springs cured it.

Hopefully the new bushings will get it quiet for you...if not, turn up the stereo!
I don't see how the weight could be exceeded unless the wrong ones were installed at the factory, which I doubt. I have 300-400lbs of stuff in my cargo area at any given time and I haven't heard a single peep out of my bushings,

Old 05-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Originally Posted by Draketh
I don't see how the weight could be exceeded unless the wrong ones were installed at the factory, which I doubt. I have 300-400lbs of stuff in my cargo area at any given time and I haven't heard a single peep out of my bushings,
+1. Plus I went to get the chassis lubed just for some prev. maint. about a year ago and the dealer said it's a lubed-for-life chassis with no grease fittings. Haven't double checked on that since I haven't heard anything to indicate there maybe a problem