PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

BLUE RAY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: BLUE RAY?

Do you know why Sony is pushing BR so much? It's simple and factual. Sony gets a royalty for every single physical BR DVD that is sold from the other studios, which I believe is between $2 to $3 PER DISC, hence the higher prices of BR Discs compared to HD-DVD discs. MOST people don't know that. HD-DVD however is open-source from my understanding, which means there is no royalty'd owed to anybody, hence the cheaper prices of the movie. THAT's why I'll never own a BR player. I'm not out to make Sony any richer and pay more money for a BR movie when I can get a HD-DVD that is the exact same picture resolution and quality for cheaper.

I don't understand why so many movie studios are switching to BR. I guess the power of Sony Marketting is what they see. HD-DVD and BR both have the same resolution on their video, which is 1920x1080. They both can do native 1080p video compression, but HD-DVD has more capabilities as far as streaming multiple feeds and also has alot more interactive capabilities.

It's unfortunate that Sony chooses to spend so much money shoving BR down people's throats even though HD-DVD is superior overall.

As far as picture quality goes, they are both great and you probably won't see a difference between BR and HD. Even for people that can notice those tiny pixel imperfections like myself and the others, you probably won't see a difference if you have a BR and HD-DVDplayer hooked up to the same TV playing the same movie.

I'm very Anti-Sony because everything I have ever owned Sony has only lasted a year or two. They have the best marketting in the world, and their high-end stuff is great, but even though the quality is good, their equipment doesn't last half as long as Samsung, Toshiba, etc.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 AM

YOur correct - I have a sony cyber shot that lastest not even 6 months....

That better not happen to my blue ray player....
hey before blue ray and hdvd wasn't it called superbyte or superbit???

Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Not exactly.

SuperBit DVD's were from one specific studio, and what they did was strip out all of the extra's like deleted scenes, behind the scenes, etc and ONLY put the movie and audio tracks on the DVD. This way, they could maximize the data usedon an entire dual-layer 9GB DVD to maximize the video and audio quality. I own a few of them and in the AV Home Theater world, the SuperBit version of "The Fifth Element" has always set the standard as how good of quality a normal DVD can do.

If you have a BluRay player from a manufacturer other then Sony, you are probably OK. Don't get me wrong; I think BluRay is great, as well as HD-DVD, but I hate the fact that Sony just wants their damn royalties and pushes BR to the point you are sick of seeing commercials for it.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:28 PM

you really hate sony, I bought my first plasma from sony and I still own it (about 6 years) without any problems and with their advanced LED technology for the LCD's and Plasmas they want to set the bar for other TV sets......I personally prefer pioneer as atelevision brand since I buy all my audio equipment from there and the elite has arguably one of the best picture

Old 01-09-2008, 07:42 PM

what do you think ofphilips?

Old 01-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

I still have a Pioneer Elite dual-sided Laserdisc player at my old house in my basement I agree. Pioneer Elite equipment is great, but to those who can actually afford it.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 PM

I like Samsung TV's I have a 52" plasma on the wall in the living room ......and a 32 LCD Samsung in the game room, both very good TVs lots of features and look classy on the wall...no problems yet!!.....I read reviews till my eyes fall out when it come to buying electronics... I don't mind spending good money for my toys...just want to make sure I am getting the very best for my money...

Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Yup. I prefer Samsung and Pioneer as far as plasma and LCD go, although I have a 42" Vizio for our living room that we really love. I'm going to be setting up my game room/loft this spring, probably in the next few weeks, but I'm thinking about buying a new 22" Widescreen LCD monitor and using a VGA switcher between my 360 and PC's since the new generation of computer LCD monitors have 2 ms refresh rates and contrast ratios almost equal to plasma's.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:25 AM

A long time ago I heard DLP had the best picture, but when I heard the elite came out I bought it

Old 01-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Does your Elite DLP have the new LED LCD display, or is it one of the older color wheel ones?

Quick Reply: BLUE RAY?