PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Blowing fuse for fuel pump and ecm

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Default Blowing fuse for fuel pump and ecm

Customer tow in, 2000 6.5 TD with dual tanks. No comm with scanner so proceeded to check out fuses. Found 20 amp fuse to ecm/fp blown. Checked Mitchell for wiring diagrams but they have no information for these models. Replaced the fuse and all is well...for the moment.

Anyone know where the problem might lie or where to get a schematic for this system? Thanks

Old 02-20-2016, 08:55 PM

Does the fuel pump work? If I remember right the OBD2 power is supposed to come off the cigarette lighter circuit.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:09 AM

The fuse is designated as fuel pump/ecm on the legend in the fuse box cover. As I posted previously, once I replaced the fuse it ran fine. Pumps seem to be internal in tank.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:35 AM

The The fuel lift pump is not inside the tank. Normally the fuse blows when your fuel pump burns up. It will still start when the lift pump goes bad. Do you have fuel pressure? Are all the ECM ground wires connected to the proper locations? where are you located at?

Old 02-22-2016, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ian Ward
The The fuel lift pump is not inside the tank. Normally the fuse blows when your fuel pump burns up. It will still start when the lift pump goes bad. Do you have fuel pressure? Are all the ECM ground wires connected to the proper locations? where are you located at?
Hmmm, I will get under it this morning (too wide for floor post lifts) and look for lift pump. I'm assuming it's forward of the tank selector valve.

I'm in Taos NM.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:21 AM

Just call me. I can help you out over the phone

Old 02-22-2016, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Lift pump is in front of the driver by the firewall.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:25 PM

Thanks all, got a pump put in it and sent him down the road.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:39 PM

From our conversation it sounded like your doctor customer needs some hummer love. I hope you sent him UP the road to my brother @ Big Dog Offroad(bigdogoffroad.com) in Golden,CO
They only work on hummers (H1 & HMMWV only)and seem to get there sahre of the east coast trucks that have rust issues like that one.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Ward
From our conversation it sounded like your doctor customer needs some hummer love. I hope you sent him UP the road to my brother @ Big Dog Offroad(bigdogoffroad.com) in Golden,CO
They only work on hummers (H1 & HMMWV only)and seem to get there sahre of the east coast trucks that have rust issues like that one.
Gave him your info as well, thx

Quick Reply: Blowing fuse for fuel pump and ecm