PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Block Heater How To

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Default Block Heater How To

When I imported my H3 Alpha into Canada from the States I noticed there was no block heater in it, even though it was from Colorado. Anyway I just put one in last night and thought I'd write a short "how to" in case anyone else was looking to do the same. Keep in mind this is for the V8 but I imagine the I5 would hold the same basic principles other than the location of it on the block. I got my block heater from Canadian Tire for $65, they will rape you at the dealership for it. This particular one has the built in thermostat(cuts in at -18C or 0F) on the electrical plug which I may cut off later if I decide I don't like it. Photos at the bottom for reference.

1. Pull off the 2 skid plates under the engine, 6 bolts all together.

2. Peer up through the mass of crap from the bottom and locate the engine plug where the block heater goes. On the V8 its located on the driver's side towards the front of the engine.

3. Pull off the lower radiator hose and drain a bunch of fluid into a clean bucket if you want to re-use it(WIPE ALL PARTS THE COOLANT WILL DRAIN ONTO ON ITS WAY DOWN SO IT DOESN'T GET DIRTY)...if not you can put fresh stuff in later. Unscrewing the radiator cap helps drain the fluid faster. You should get somewhere around 8L of fluid out. The clamp on the hose will hold itself open if you open it right. After the majority is drained out, re-attach the hose and clamp so you don't get a constant coolant shower while under the truck.

4. Go back to the location of the engine plug. You'll need a 17mm Allen type socket to remove it. This is tight working and you will get frustrated. Unscrew it until you can turn it by hand. Get another bucket ready to catch the remaining coolant(about 2L) that will come out as you pull the plug. This fluid will get dirty and you will have to replace it with new stuff later.

5. After the fluid has drained wipe all parts that got hit so you don't have coolant dripping in your face. Take the block heater and wrap the threads clockwise with a healthy dose of Teflon tape. Slowly screw it in the hole by hand to make sure its threading correctly for the first few turns. There should be a bit of resistance from the Teflon tape but nothing major. DO NOT STRIP THE THREADS.

6. Tighten down the block heater with a 27mm socket and torque it to about 25 ft/lbs to make sure its not going anywhere. It's fun getting a torque wrench up in there by the way.

7. Take the block heater cord and wrap the majority of it that will be in the engine bay with wire loom to protect it from heat. Put a small dab of di-electric grease on the electrical contacts that will connect to the block heater to prevent any corrosion. Route the cord starting from the front of the radiator by the front grille back to the block heater, avoiding any major heat sources or belts. Use a few zip ties to secure the cord along the way. Plug it into the block heater.

8. At this point you're pretty close to being done. Pour the coolant you saved back into the top of the radiator, filtering it if you like with some mesh screen. This should pretty much fill up the radiator. Pour about 2L or so of new fluid(50/50 mix) into the overflow can to top it up.

9. Start the engine and check for any leaks, god forbid.

10. Replace the skid plates and run the engine until the thermostat opens up to circulate the fluid. If you don't know what a thermostat is you shouldn't be doing this. Watch the overflow can level to see if you need to add anymore fluid. Aaaand you're done.

Attached Thumbnails Block Heater How To-block-heater-kit.jpg   Block Heater How To-drain-coolant.jpg   Block Heater How To-engine-plug-remove.jpg   Block Heater How To-removed-plug.jpg   Block Heater How To-block-heater-installed.jpg  

Old 01-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Nice write up!

What's a Liter aye?

Seriously, nice job and thanks for the contribution.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:26 PM

Thank you for the instructions. I was about to install a new block when my h3 didnt have one from the factory i noticed there are 2 ports, one rear, and one front drivers. The instructions said rear drivers though. Can you tell me why there are 2 ports and which one i need to use? Thank you

Old 09-18-2013, 05:36 PM

I could get into this on my 3.7.
anyone have info on it b4 I try my usual search and don't find!

Old 09-19-2013, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by justinq8
Thank you for the instructions. I was about to install a new block when my h3 didnt have one from the factory i noticed there are 2 ports, one rear, and one front drivers. The instructions said rear drivers though. Can you tell me why there are 2 ports and which one i need to use? Thank you
What engine are you running? 3.5, 3.7, 5.3?

Old 09-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Default Block heater port

I have a 5.3L like your posting but when I bought the block heater they specifically told me from the specs that this has to go on the rear drivers side of the engine.... I took a look and there are 2 ports - one where they say to install and one that looks just like your picture.

I will post pics of the two. Could there be two ports?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Thumbnails Block Heater How To-drivers-rear2.jpg   Block Heater How To-driver-front1.jpg  
Old 09-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Default New pics

Adjusted pics of ports.

Attached Thumbnails Block Heater How To-drivers-rear1.jpg   Block Heater How To-driver-front1.jpg  
Old 09-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Default Block heater

Here is the block heater that I bought.

Attached Thumbnails Block Heater How To-block-heater.jpg  
Old 09-20-2013, 04:52 AM

I'll have to crawl up under mine and take a look today. There is likely more than one plug in the block so I wouldn't be too concerned. Your block heater may be a different size etc. I would prob put it in the hole they suggest. Things usually don't go right when you stick it in the wrong hole lol. If you get antifreeze out of it when you pull the plug you're prob ok. Just make sure you have enough clearance for the heater and cord to stick out.