PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Blind Spots

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Default Blind Spots

Hello all. I just recently took an H3 for a test drive at my local dealer. Overall, I was impressed with the interior, ride, and overall handling. There was one drawback though, and that was a large blindspot caused by the rear pillars.

For you H3 owners, have you found this to be a problem? If so, did you just get used to it or have you had any safety concerns?

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Default RE: Blind Spots

When I first strated drivint my H3, I noticed them as well. I put two small adjustable spot mirrors on the outside mirrors & the blind spots are not w thing of the past. Best $5.00I ever spent.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:03 AM

Yeah, I have almost taken-out a few cars because of the blind spot. I purchased a wireless camera from Wal-Mart for about $90. Instead of mounting it on the license plate as it was designed, I put it on the bumper just above the trailer hitch (sorry, no pics right now). I connected power to the license plate light since it was right there. It is a minor inconvenience to turn on the lights during the daytime, but good enough for me.

The quality of the camera is okay for the price. I get static, and even pickup waireless security cameras at some businesses as I drive by.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: cbetts

Yeah, I have almost taken-out a few cars because of the blind spot. I purchased a wireless camera from Wal-Mart for about $90. Instead of mounting it on the license plate as it was designed, I put it on the bumper just above the trailer hitch (sorry, no pics right now). I connected power to the license plate light since it was right there. It is a minor inconvenience to turn on the lights during the daytime, but good enough for me.

The quality of the camera is okay for the price. I get static, and even pickup waireless security cameras at some businesses as I drive by.
Can you expand upon this? I guess I wasn't clear, but I was meaning more about driving and changing lanes. The problem/fix that you suggested sounds like it might have been taken care of by the reverse camera option in 2008?

Or is this something that you mounted on your own that provides full time additional rear vision?

The $5.00 option sounds like a good solution!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:24 AM

No problem here, but I also drive a 40,000 Lb truck. It's all about training yourself to drive the vehicle and learning to drive with your mirrors. A must have is two small spot mirrors at the far outside edge of each mirror. You also have to get in the habit or looking behind you and making a mental picture of what's back there BEFORE you get in the vehicle. Then when backing look in each mirror as you're backing to make sure no cars sneak up on you. All in all the HUMMER is a lot like driving a class B truck, it's just a little smaller.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 AM

My wife's Solara Convertiblehas worse rear vision than the H2 or H3. It just varies with different vehicles. Like mentioned above, one just has to get used to it and use the side mirrors effectively. The H3 has nicesize side mirrors.

Also, if you have the side mirrors set where you see the side of your vehicle, you need to crank 'em out a bit to better cover blind spots for lane changes.

I haven't added the spot mirrors, I may have to try that.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:14 AM

Same as RealJeep . . . .

I used to be a truck driver, so using the side mirrors is a habit. I did install a couple of spot mirrors so I could see a little further out. It is almost instinct to put these on all my vehicles.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:56 AM

The H3 has great big mirrors, and the key is adjusting them. I adjust them out and down more than I on other cars. I actually pulled next to my neighbors car on the street (simulating a traffic situation), and drove back and forth till I found just the right setting.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:17 PM

My wife hates my H3 because she has such a hard time driving it. She's such a girl! :-) In her opinion...Mirrors are for make-up, if you can't turn around to look backwards then what good is a vehicle? IT MAKES ME CRAZY!!!

Old 10-29-2007, 04:20 PM

Cars that hang on your left or right rear wheels can be invisableuntil you adjust to the mirror configuration and learn to look down there. Many have added little convex mirrors to their outside mirrors but I haven't needed them (I think visabilitydepends on your height and how you like to adjust your seat).

When entering our parkedtruck, I always take a quick glance at what's in the area behind it as I walk up to it. This makes it much easier to back up safely. I'd still liketo havea back-up camera or sonar assist system solution, maybe with our next truck.

Quick Reply: Blind Spots