PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Blend Door Actuator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Husa4342
Well my issue was the control module not opening the vents so it was stuck on defrost. That was an easy fix, but with the temp not changing as well it sounds like you may have something more going on. To check that module you can disconect the negative battery cable for a minute then get in the car, look up under the dash on drivers side towards center column, (remove the side bottom vent tube that goes towards drivers door) there will be an actuator there with a semi round plastic slotted piece behind it. If it doesnt move at all when you turn the key on I'd replace it. about 65 bucks at any auto shop.

As for all the people that said the whole dash needs to come out to replace that blend door actuator, well you all know about nothing it seems. Not one piece of the dash needs to come out for this job, but at least I know how to do it now I guess. Only 2 of the 4 actuators need any part of the dash removed to replace so be careful what you read here. wasted 2 days tearing down and putting back together my vehicle for what should of been a 20 min. job.
Could you go into a little more detail about this please? I'm stuck on defrost and I was under the impression that I had to remove the entire dash to fix this. Is there an easier way? It's friggin hot here in Denver and I would love my vents to actually work!

Old 08-03-2012, 11:13 AM

Yea I was under the same impression thanks to this site. Defrost only, there is a blend door actuator under the dash to the right of your steering column. If you stick your head under neath there you will see a black snorkel that pushes the air out the bottom vent. At the far left there is one black plastic tip that secures it to a metal bracket, pull it strait down, then just pull away from center column and it will pull off the main ac assembly. Now look above the open vent hole, you will see a black plastic piece with a small metal circle in the middle of it and a black plastic wheel behind it that has 3 small pins sticking in the slots. This piece controls the vents opening and that plastic piece with the metal circle and 2 screws holding it on is your actuator.

Dorman/A/C Heater Blend Door Actuator (604-121) | 2003 Hummer H2 8 Cylinders U 6.0L SFI | AutoZone.com

dorman 604-121 in case the link doesnt work.

So what you have to do, remove the 2 5/16 screws holding it on and pull it off, try to leave the plastic ring on behind it so you don't have to figure out how to put it back on, but in case you f that up, lol, there is 3 slots, upper pin towards firewall goes in top slot, upper pin towards shifter goes in the 2nd slot down from top, bottom pin nearest floor, goes in only other slot, on bottom. Put your new actuator on and remove the negative cable from your battery for a minute. put new actuator on, watch under the dash when you turn your key on and make sure the actuator starts turning. I had to disconect the batter a couple times and pull the plug on the actuator a couple to get it to work.

Innitial line up, if you have problems getting it in, you can plug in new actuator and turn key on before mounting it, it will auto start to turn, shut off key in the spot you want it. I think if it's centered you wont have any problem. I turned it on, it went all the way to the left, then started back and shut off the key when it hit dead center. I have pics if you need as well. Or hit me at mike@mikehusa.com and I'll shoot you my number.

Attached Thumbnails Blend Door Actuator Replacement-blend-door-actuator.jpg  
Old 08-03-2012, 11:16 AM

that pic is from the floor looking up the left side of the center column to the right of the steering column. notice the shiny black plastic wheel behind the actuator, you must get the pins back in the correct slot or it wont open fully in any direction.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 AM

One last not for people in this same situation, there are only 2 actuators that require any dash removal at all, so read read read or your vehicle will like like mine for no reason. Believe I can tear it down and put it together in about 2 hours now though if ever needed, lol.

Attached Thumbnails Blend Door Actuator Replacement-dash-off.jpg  
Old 08-04-2012, 08:35 PM

Mike,
Do I need to have the heater - a/c controls set in a particular position before I disconect the battery and reconnect it?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:34 AM

No that has to be more bs. When u remove the actuator and ring behind it the flaps will move anywhere so I can't see where that would make a difference

Old 08-06-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Husa4342
Yea I was under the same impression thanks to this site. Defrost only, there is a blend door actuator under the dash to the right of your steering column. If you stick your head under neath there you will see a black snorkel that pushes the air out the bottom vent. At the far left there is one black plastic tip that secures it to a metal bracket, pull it strait down, then just pull away from center column and it will pull off the main ac assembly. Now look above the open vent hole, you will see a black plastic piece with a small metal circle in the middle of it and a black plastic wheel behind it that has 3 small pins sticking in the slots. This piece controls the vents opening and that plastic piece with the metal circle and 2 screws holding it on is your actuator.

Dorman/A/C Heater Blend Door Actuator (604-121) | 2003 Hummer H2 8 Cylinders U 6.0L SFI | AutoZone.com

dorman 604-121 in case the link doesnt work.

So what you have to do, remove the 2 5/16 screws holding it on and pull it off, try to leave the plastic ring on behind it so you don't have to figure out how to put it back on, but in case you f that up, lol, there is 3 slots, upper pin towards firewall goes in top slot, upper pin towards shifter goes in the 2nd slot down from top, bottom pin nearest floor, goes in only other slot, on bottom. Put your new actuator on and remove the negative cable from your battery for a minute. put new actuator on, watch under the dash when you turn your key on and make sure the actuator starts turning. I had to disconect the batter a couple times and pull the plug on the actuator a couple to get it to work.

Innitial line up, if you have problems getting it in, you can plug in new actuator and turn key on before mounting it, it will auto start to turn, shut off key in the spot you want it. I think if it's centered you wont have any problem. I turned it on, it went all the way to the left, then started back and shut off the key when it hit dead center. I have pics if you need as well. Or hit me at mike@mikehusa.com and I'll shoot you my number.
Thanks for the great info! I got everything in (AFTER I messed with that damn plastic thingy) Now my problem is that it won't move like it's not correct. So I've disconnected the positive battery cable and removed the HVAC fuse. Hopefully this will reset the system. I'm pissed but crossing my fingers.

Great explaination though. Helped me a ton!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:31 PM

Ok, new issue. Nothing moves. The actuator defaults to the defrosst position no matter what. Even if I place it in another position, it moves down to defrost. I think I bought something that I didnt need. What else could the issue be?

Old 08-08-2012, 02:58 PM

Pins are in slot. Top groove engine side pin. 2 nd groove radiio

Old 08-08-2012, 09:56 PM

if you look at my last pic of it, the bottom pin obviously goes in only slot possible, the pin above it at direct center goes in the 2nd slot down, the back pin near firewall goes in the very top slot. when you put it in, make sure that back pin is above the first bend heading towards the top then push the front one into the 2nd slot, you can flex that rotating piece to do this. I had the same problem tons of times before I figured it out. As long as after you pull the battery cable you see it turn when you turn on the ac then you should be good, just got to lign it all up right. you can always plug your old one in and do the same to see if it turns at all, if it does then you could have another problem, but im tellin you, i had them pins all jacked up several times and kept resetting. just double check those.
Sorry about delay, out of area for a couple days, any more
Q let me know

Quick Reply: Blend Door Actuator Replacement